B&W 803D Owners - Did you compare against Sonus Faber Cremona M?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

B&W 803D Owners - Did you compare against Sonus Faber Cremona M?

Hi All,

Just wondering if any 803D owners compared against the SF Cremona M before purchasing? I've listened to both and cannot decide.

803D has better bass response due to the 3 x 8" compared to 2 x 7" woofers
    SF might just have the top end edge with the ring tweeter.

Both midranges on the speakers are fantastic.

mmmm... decisions decisions...
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • Aquarius
    • Oct 2008

I had speakers with SS ring radiator tweeters (Gamut L5) before Signature Diamond.
    Diamond is far more better tweeter than Scan Speak R2904/7000 with extended resolution and smoother top end. It's also more natural sounding.

Cremona, just like Gamut (same drivers) requires powerful amplification (read: expensive) to perform well. Otherwise, you'll get compromised sound.

Comment

• boarder1995
      • Sep 2009

I was seriously considering the Sonus Faber Cremona with their beautiful wood cabinet finishes and funky grills. They were soooo smooth and enjoyable to listen to. In the showroom they were being pushed by a pair of Bryston monoblocks with a good assortment of source components for me to tinker with. I felt like I could kick back in my favorite chair and listen in a very passive state for hours with no fatigue.

I ended up buying the 803D. The engagement the diamond tweeter brings was too exciting for me to pass up. I wasn't zoning out while listening, but instead anticipating the next subtle nuance I was going to have revealed to me.

Both really shine with the mids, and bass I didn't think was lacking on the Cremona by any means. One thing I noticed on the Cremona Auditor bookshelf versus the 805S was the Cremona Monitor sounded more boxy, whereas the 805S really doesn't sound small - it plays much bigger than the box it resides in. That told me a little about box shape and the Rohacell woofer too (805 doesn't have this, but still improves removing box sound along with box shape of course, etc.).

Either speaker, Cremona or 803D, you'll get many happy years of audio bliss out of and they'll happily grace your house as a beautiful piece of furniture.
      Last edited by boarder1995; 02 March 2010, 15:01 Tuesday. Reason: wrong name for bookshelf unit

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

Sonus Faber is the brand I would leave B&W for. I have listened to the entire range, and they are all great, even the budget toy series. I would personally go for the 803D if I was going for a HT setup, simply because it would be cheaper overall when you factor everything. You also have a better choice of center channel options. Amplification will not be as demanding.

For 2 channel, I'd stick with the cremona m.
        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Is a question very personal.

is like I made the question buy the Mercedes or a BMW!?!

are 2 diffferente world, is impoossible say this one or the other!
          Sorry but SonusF is a great sspeaker and have a good sound.

the 803D? as well!!!

Style

Comment

• Aiden
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by style
            Is a question very personal.

is like I made the question buy the Mercedes or a BMW!?!

are 2 diffferente world, is impoossible say this one or the other!
            Sorry but SonusF is a great sspeaker and have a good sound.

the 803D? as well!!!

Style
            Not to mention he is asking in a sub-forum full of B&W owners. :yesnod:

Comment

• Aiden
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Aquarius
              I had speakers with SS ring radiator tweeters (Gamut L5) before Signature Diamond.
              Diamond is far more better tweeter than Scan Speak R2904/7000 with extended resolution and smoother top end. It's also more natural sounding.

Cremona, just like Gamut (same drivers) requires powerful amplification (read: expensive) to perform well. Otherwise, you'll get compromised sound.
              There are many powerful amps that do not require a second mortgage to finance. :T

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"