X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken49r
    Edit: I should also add that I like the sound of floorstanders over bookshelves. I bought the 805's due to $ and room size but when I went from 705 to the 704 that added woofer gave the upper and mid bass punch & slam effect that a sub can't produce. And I am using JL Auido F-110 with my 805's now.
    You may need to continue working on your sub set-up/integration. I get plenty of punch/slam from my JL F112, but it took a while to get there, and it required EQ.

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AV-OCD
      You may need to continue working on your sub set-up/integration. I get plenty of punch/slam from my JL F112, but it took a while to get there, and it required EQ.
      Tim,

I would sure like to get it to sound like that. The only EQ I'm using is built into the JL. I have tried different settings on the JL with no luck, so I would love to know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe we can start a new thread on the subject or you could be kind enough work with me through PM?

BTW: Like your new photo. :T

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hy,

I'm going to throw a lance in favor of Tim:
        The first hearing of 800Di in France:
        Apparemment d'après les infos venant de l'équipe NewMusic cette nouvelle gamme CT devrait remplacer la gamme Omega de chez Classé Audio
        Personnellement cette première écoute "Classé Audio" est loin de m'avoir convaincue.
        - J'ai de loin préféré l'écoute des 804Di sur base de l'ensemble Nagra (même si limitée sur certains critères en terme de puissance) et l'écoute des 805Di sur un ensemble Electrocompaniet.
        - Pour moi l'écoute des 800Di dans cette configuration m'a vraiment laissée sur ma faim.
        For me listening to 800Di in this configuration really left me on my hunger.
        Personally the first listen "Classé Audio" is far from convincing me.
        I much preferred listening to 804Di based on all Nagra (even if limited to certain criteria in terms of power) and listening to a whole 805Di Electrocompaniet...

well the 800Di is not The big speaker that the all B&W lovers wait...
        and he say that the the 804Di/805Di have left a much better impression of large 800D!
        (we know that not only the speakers to make a system but not a positive point for the flagships 800Di..)

:W :W big is not always beetter!!

Style

Comment

• John22614
          • Feb 2010

I did a side by side comparison of the 805s and 804s in my home a few months ago before deciding which set to buy. I found the 804's the clear winner. The tones were more natural, richer and fuller with better clarity.

The 805's, while still a very good speaker, sounded a little flat by comparison. One interesting way to test this is to connect one of each when in stereo mode and toggle between the two. I also found it much easier to seamlessly blend my sub with the 804's. Anyway, it cleared up any doubts I had about spending the extra money for the floor standers.

I think beyond the bass drivers, the size of the cabinet has a lot to do with it. It was the deeper and richer tones of the 804's that impressed me the most.
          B&W 804s Mains
          B&W HTM4 Center
          Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
          Marantz AV 7005 processor
          Anthem MCA 30 Amp
          Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by style
            Hy,

I'm going to throw a lance in favor of Tim:
            The first hearing of 800Di in France:

For me listening to 800Di in this configuration really left me on my hunger.
            Personally the first listen "Classé Audio" is far from convincing me.
            I much preferred listening to 804Di based on all Nagra (even if limited to certain criteria in terms of power) and listening to a whole 805Di Electrocompaniet...
            Classe audio can sound real plain. I guess it depends on how the speaker is set up and familiarity with the music and so on ...

well the 800Di is not The big speaker that the all B&W lovers wait...
            and he say that the the 804Di/805Di have left a much better impression of large 800D!
            (we know that not only the speakers to make a system but not a positive point for the flagships 800Di..)
            Lets see what others say as well

:W :W big is not always beetter!!
            My girlfriend disagrees
            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
              Classe audio can sound real plain.
              It just doesn't add anything to the recording and that's a good thing.
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                It just doesn't add anything to the recording and that's a good thing.
                But not something that one might appreciate on a brief test audition.
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                  But not something that one might appreciate on a brief test audition.
                  Well it all starts with the recording!`
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
                    • Aug 2008

Product availibility?

Has anyone ordered a set of speakers in the new Diamon line? If so, what have you been told about delivery dates / product availibility?

I placed my order in mid Feb and thought that I would have to wait until the end of Feb at the latest (based on the press release). It is now the end of March and I still don't have a solid date for delivery. I've been told it may be the end of the month at the earliest, to possibly mid April, or even May!

Comment

• Awoujol
                      • Feb 2010

Ordered 802Di Cherrywood and have been told by the B&W rep. I should expect my speakers at the end of april, beginning of may. But I think I will receive them at the end of may.
                      Speakers: B&W 802D, HTM3S, 805S
                      Amps: McIntosh MC402, McIntosh C2300
                      On Order: B&W 802Di

Comment

• AV-OCD
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Awoujol
                        Ordered 802Di Cherrywood and have been told by the B&W rep. I should expect my speakers at the end of april, beginning of may. But I think I will receive them at the end of may.
                        The waiting is the hardest part, but it would be easier if they just had a firm date. I've never understood why this would be such a guessing game.

Unfortunately, I've been told that the Cherry finish has the longest wait time.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                          • Mar 2008

Join the club guys. Here in Hong Kong, any order of even the "old" 800 series (unless they have the color and model you want in stock which is rare) is a minimum two month wait. :B

Comment

• Skyblue
                            • Jun 2009

802's and 803's diamond in june or july my dealer tells me.

Well, I'm planning on keeping them for at least 10-15 years, so I dont mind much.

No, Not at all! no nope nada, no concerns at all..

GIMME MY SPEAKERS NOW ass....
                            <20 minutes of swearing edited out>

<another 25 minutes of curses gone>

no Im fine as a slightly disturbed hedgehawk.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                              • Aug 2008

Well, as luck would have it. I got a call shortly after I posted the question about availibility and I should have my first pair of 805Di's by the end of next week! Woot!

The only problem is.... no stands.

So it will be make-shift stands for me made from scrap wood for how ever long it takes to get those out to me. ops:

Comment

• altanpsx
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                Has anyone ordered a set of speakers in the new Diamon line? If so, what have you been told about delivery dates / product availibility?

I placed my order in mid Feb and thought that I would have to wait until the end of Feb at the latest (based on the press release). It is now the end of March and I still don't have a solid date for delivery. I've been told it may be the end of the month at the earliest, to possibly mid April, or even May!

I ordered 803di piano black three weeks ago. Possibble delivery time end of may or beginning of the june....

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
                                  • May 2010

Originally posted by altanpsx
                                  I ordered 803di piano black three weeks ago. Possibble delivery time end of may or beginning of the june....
                                  Please post some pictures and review? I am 803d owner and wondered how ppl like the 803d2. I went to the dealer and listened to 803D2 and I found them sound harsh, perhaps D2 have faster tweeters. I am not sure, because the 804D2 and 805D2 are very sweet but 803D2 are not smooth. Perhaps B&W tried too hard to make difference between new 803D2 and old 803D, which over done something.

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

AV-OCD had the same impression comparing 802Dx802Di

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Pedro
                                      AV-OCD had the same impression comparing 802Dx802Di
                                      I wouldn't go so far as to call the new 802Di's "harsh", but they were brighter / more forward than my memory of the last gen 802D. Though I could certainly see where this more forward voicing of the speaker might cross the line for some people.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                        • Dec 2008

A little late to the game but here goes. Our local dealer had their B&W 800Di demo w/ Mark Schnoll (sp?), the B&W rep up from Cali. Played a bunch of stuff from old Stones to jazz and the Monty Python theme song. System was a Denon transport to CT-SSP to 2 x CT-M600 and out to a pair of 803Di via Transparent cables. The also had the 804Di and 805Di in the room but just for show...shame as I really wanted to hear the 805Di.

After hearing THIS demo, I think my hearing must be going down the crappers as I did not get the sense of wow that I had anticipated. I wouldn't call the highs harsh or sizzly but it just didn't sound like a B&W signature sound. It's kinda "hard" sounding. Also, while Christian McBride's upright bass was hugely detailed the bass extensions just seem to be rolled off. It seems a very detail set of speaker but the overall tonality seems to be inconsistent. The mids sound incredible though. Vocals really show this off...they had an original master Capitol recording of Peggy Lee's Fever and McCartney doing Mother Nature's Sun...the vocals on the former was wow and smooth. On the latter, the acoustic guitar was lifelike but the vocals - while authentic - didn't seem to match....like a level mismatch in the mix. Anyhoo, I was really confused after the demo and although I can't say I didn't like it, I was not impressed by it.

I chatted with the dealer afterwards and he claims the new Diamonds are way improved. He said that the 803Di actually sounds better than the old 802D...to which I disagree (of course, I might be biased and mildly offended since I own the 802D). From this demo, they're not even close. However, we then split up to smaller groups and I sat in on the new 802Di demo room (Soloos music server->Naim DAC->CP-700->4 x CA-M400 all behind a 240V Richard Gray Powerhouse Substation). FANTABULOUS! I'm sure the bi-amp setup is quite different from my CA-5200 but the difference is MUCH greater from the 802D than what I get from web consensus. Bass extension is deeper than mine and there seem to be an overall smoothness and cohesiveness to the sound that I don't have. While still open and airy, it just seems more enveloping and warmer. Now I really regret getting my setup last year since the price difference is only $500 on the 802D/Di and I could have had piano black.

On a side note, one of the fellow enthusiasts was there to consider a set of 800D or Wilson Sashas. So we headed to the main room with the Sashas connected to McIntosh gear (can't recall their source/pre but the amps were the 1200W monsters). They also had those crazy Transparent cables with that doohickey that looks like a vacuum cleaner. Anyhoo, female arias was dreamy but I don't really like the highs. And Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall sounded like a boombox playing MP3s. That was my thought, and I kept that to myself initially, but the other guy had the same opinion. I have a Fender Strat and I'm pretty sure what the Wilson's reproduced does not sound anything like what I can hear on my own geet. The attack on the string was very good but the tonal was kinda muddy. That same room used to house that really huge set of McIntosh speakers and I recall those sounded better.

Oh well...like I said, I think my hearing is down the crappers. Good thing as this will help my 12-steps program to mega highend gear envy.

Cheers.

-Hedwig
                                        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                          • May 2008

I was at the same demo, you didn't mention that the 803Di demo had 20 people in a pretty large room that is severely damped. I would not call this a great demo, though I didn't dislike the sound of the 803Dis, I didn't think there was a way to get a decent read on them, and they really should have had the 802Dis in there.

I had been in a few weeks before and heard the 805Ds in their smaller Naim room and they sounded great in that room.

I didn't hang around to hear the 802Dis or the Sashas.
                                          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                            I was at the same demo, you didn't mention that the 803Di demo had 20 people in a pretty large room that is severely damped. I would not call this a great demo, though I didn't dislike the sound of the 803Dis, I didn't think there was a way to get a decent read on them, and they really should have had the 802Dis in there.

I had been in a few weeks before and heard the 805Ds in their smaller Naim room and they sounded great in that room.

Hmmm my invitation must have been lost in the mail :lol: Which dealer was this demonstration at?

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck

I'm not knowledgeable nor qualified enough to provide that comment. I just assumed that a demo room should have been properly setup prior to such a demo but I do agree that they should have used the 802Di down there and have the 805Di running also.

Did you go to the 11am session too? There were only 10 of us in there.

On another note: I played around yesterday and I think the big difference I'm hearing with my 802D and their 802Di is the amps. With just the CA-5200 it didn't exhibit the same warmth but running it 2.1 and letting the sub take over made the mids richer. I still prefer the 802Di over the 802D if I had a choice.

Hmmm my invitation must have been lost in the mail Which dealer was this demonstration at?
                                              It was @ HiFi Centre. I think if you sign up for their newsletter they would have emailed you.
                                              Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                              Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                              B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                              Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                              Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                • May 2008

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                                I'm not knowledgeable nor qualified enough to provide that comment. I just assumed that a demo room should have been properly setup prior to such a demo but I do agree that they should have used the 802Di down there and have the 805Di running also.

Did you go to the 11am session too? There were only 10 of us in there.

On another note: I played around yesterday and I think the big difference I'm hearing with my 802D and their 802Di is the amps. With just the CA-5200 it didn't exhibit the same warmth but running it 2.1 and letting the sub take over made the mids richer. I still prefer the 802Di over the 802D if I had a choice.

It was @ HiFi Centre. I think if you sign up for their newsletter they would have emailed you.
                                                Sorry, I was at the 1pm, and it was full...I think it was a pretty poor demo setup. If they had the 804Ds & 805Ds in the smaller rooms, more people could have heard them...I also think it was misleading that they had the 800D on the invite, yet none at the event.

As for their amps, the CT600 monos are monsters, as are the CAM400s...too bad they didn't run it with your amp, probably would have made you feel better. :B
                                                Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

Hi guys,
                                                  I find that we have a lot of confusion ...
                                                  I have read, I have listen for 10 min, I have what???

The new Di serie is a Evolution, not a revolution: are great, look's very nice (from the 805d to the 800Di..) but I dont believe that a transparent cable make the difference...is a personal taste!!!!

the room with the 804D and 805D with the Naim was very amazing. the CT600 or the CAM400 are not necessary! with a classic music or " pure" jazz
                                                  you dont need 400w each channel!!!

we have HT system overpowered!!! HT or pure 2 channel sistem? are 2 world very different.

of course so like this pictures make "every B&W fans" go crazy:

yes great....but i know is not "only" the speaker.. the room make a big difference,....

but a little point: the new cables in steel / alu: with WBT 0610 going inside or are to small???

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Now this is what I want

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                      • Jun 2007

My first test and my first pictures on the new 800 series B&W...

Bowers and Wilkins 805 and 804 Diamond...

Fred.

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                        • Jun 2007

Bowers and Wilkins 803 Diamond...

Fred.

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                          • Jun 2007

Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamond...

Fred.

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                            • Jun 2007

Bowers and Wilkins 800 Diamond...

Fred.

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Excellent pictures Fred. :T

How do the new diamond series sound as compared to the ones they replace?

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

Great Brooks, Great!!!!

Is not only a looks edition!

I have listen the 805 and 804 and are amazing.
                                                                the 802Di and the 803Di are too very extraordinary!

Brooks, the 803D is great, but the 803DI give you much more!! :T

I have changed from the 804D the a new 803Di: I go see if the "old" 803D as surround is not "too much" and I go listen whit the 803D and 805S as rear....

Omar

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                  • Sep 2003

Wow, that's a sweet collection of speakers...and great pictures! Thanks for posting.
                                                                  Brad

Comment

• Navy
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Great pictures Fred and a great set-up. Accuphase and B&W are made for each other. What power amp do you use? I think it is an A-class, but can't recognize the model.

Comment

• style
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2006

Hi,
                                                                      Accuphase preampli: 2810,

power ampli A65 (class A)
                                                                      cd player CD700
                                                                      and last but not at the last position the power conditioner Accuphase...

well not a entry level set-up....plus a lot of k. $$$$ for cables...

Cortesy from Fresfish elfbi forum :W

Style

Comment

• Tony1
                                                                        • Sep 2007

Style,

Hoping to get your impressions of 804Di vs 805di. Which did you like better between the two?

Tony

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

they are OK...
                                                                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                            they are OK...
                                                                            Thanks for the endorsement have you listened to them?

Comment

• kindofblue
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • May 2010
                                                                              • 5

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it and feeding my thoughts with your very valuable experience for many months..

In fact, I was considering bying 802D's and paired it with Electocompaniet's Class mono blocks to listen my favourite jazz music.

The time I needed to decide myself to go for it (quite a substantial $$$ xpense), they've decided to launch this new Di series.

Honestly, I wonder whether we're talking here about music or profitability improvement:

1- how can we think that reducing the total weight by 10% (72 kgs from 80) is something desirable?
                                                                              2- how can we believe that the Danish manufacturing of the cabinets will be improved in the UK whereas Danemark is worlwide known for its expertise in complex plywood works (see Danish design in furniture and so on)? I have nothing against UK of course but seems to me that experience is highly valuable.
                                                                              3- according to BW's Tech specs, I've noticed that the moving coil for 802Di's boomers are the same diameter that the one that fits the 803 D's that are smaller. Moreover, seems to me that 38 mm diameter of the coil looks poor to the 75 mm for the 800Dis.

I know, you'll tell me I just have to listen, but I'm not sure that it won't be challenging to find a dealer that would offer a comparative listening tof both versions....

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

Originally posted by kindofblue
                                                                                Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it and feeding my thoughts with your very valuable experience for many months.....In fact, I was considering bying 802D's and paired it with Electocompaniet's Class mono blocks to listen my favourite jazz music.

The time I needed to decide myself to go for it (quite a substantial $$$ xpense), they've decided to launch this new Di series. Honestly, I wonder whether we're talking here about music or profitability improvement:

1- how can we think that reducing the total weight by 10% (72 kgs from 80) is something desirable?

2- how can we believe that the Danish manufacturing of the cabinets will be improved in the UK whereas Danemark is worlwide known for its expertise in complex plywood works (see Danish design in furniture and so on)? I have nothing against UK of course but seems to me that experience is highly valuable.

3- according to BW's Tech specs, I've noticed that the moving coil for 802Di's boomers are the same diameter that the one that fits the 803 D's that are smaller. Moreover, seems to me that 38 mm diameter of the coil looks poor to the 75 mm for the 800Dis.

I know, you'll tell me I just have to listen, but I'm not sure that it won't be challenging to find a dealer that would offer a comparative listening tof both versions....
                                                                                Very interesting but the new 802Di has those cool chrome rings that sure improves the sound! :W

Comment

• kindofblue
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • May 2010
                                                                                  • 5

You bet, wettou!

Comment

• taker
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2005
                                                                                    • 21

Great pics... I cant wait to get mine... but the house has to be built first.... :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 2299

Thanks for the endorsement have you listened to them?
                                                                                      Of course! one of the highlights of CES is sitting in the TAD room with Andrew. :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

Originally posted by kindofblue
                                                                                        Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it and feeding my thoughts with your very valuable experience for many months..

In fact, I was considering bying 802D's and paired it with Electocompaniet's Class mono blocks to listen my favourite jazz music.
                                                                                        not a fan of Electrocompanients..

[quote]
                                                                                        The time I needed to decide myself to go for it (quite a substantial $$$ xpense), they've decided to launch this new Di series.

Honestly, I wonder whether we're talking here about music or profitability improvement:

better magnet technology. neodium...

B&W had a lot of problems with Denmark regarding consistency and labour unions. They believe by bringing them back to England, they can better control those factors.

better magnet technology...

best of luck! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

BETTER MAGNETS

Comment

• kindofblue
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • May 2010
                                                                                            • 5

Arf! 8kgs savings on magnets? Come on...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"