This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grasynoll
    • Mar 2006

I agree with RebelMan. Chase the equipment the rest of your life and you'll never be happy.

Comment

• JargonGR
      • Feb 2009

Haha, although all this is 100% correct it is funny how we current owners will come up with 1000 reasons why it does not matter that new speakers are out.

However, since this is our hobby and systems do not come together overnight or brought by the Santa for most us it is indeed a pity to keep chasing equipment and losing focus of the main objective here that is to enjoy music of course.

I am not going through the same "pain" of replacing all those speakers again now that I FINALLY managed to bring them all together.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by style
        do you think that the "new" 802D will be better in sound vs. the actuall model?
        Impossible to tell at this point. Having said that, the CES demo involving the new 802 left me with one of the more encouraging moments I have experienced from any demo involving the older 802 in times past.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Grasynoll
          I agree with RebelMan. Chase the equipment the rest of your life and you'll never be happy.
          I'm blushing over here SG. ops:

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen people come full circle when it comes to this hobby. The perpetual notion that their system isn't all that it can be fuels the fire to keep "upgrading" until they reach the top or become exhausted from all the effort and yet still they are not happy.

Unfortunately, the trip is inevitable for many because these types of topics cloud their vision and they lose sight of their goals to reach a practical place of contentment at a price one can afford and their life style can accomodate. When they finally do find their way back home (aka downsize) the most common reason has been that the pursuit took them away from origial intent and purpose to get closer to the music they love. Ironic eh? "Love the one you're with."

Comment

• sc2
            • Feb 2008

How does one know when they have reached the perfect system? One must modify until they have gain enough experience to know what they had in the past was superior to what they have now... or visa versa.

I would absolutely love to know where nirvana would be when it come to audio. As a newb to this stuff i have been slowly learning, trying to establish what I have vs what my material quality I use to what I am missing in my system, even though I have no idea, all I can do is try to gain experience into "the know" be it reading, listening and experimenting!

As you Rebelman have pointed out in the past, an audiophile isn't instant, it takes time to train ones ears to listen (which is really hard when you half tone deaf BTW) but still, the problem remains...

I sometimes think being content in something is cause by reaching a point of... not frustration, but knowing that after spending years trying to get to a point of pleasure, you realize that its not that important that much as the high you get from doing what you like...listening to music.

My system isn't all it can be, it could be better, i know, but I can be happy with it now if I want, but I want the most I can get. I want better sonics, I want a larger frequency range, I want better source material and I want better quality of my pleasure... in fact sometimes it overwhelming to the point to where one NEEDS more... I guess that makes me a broke addict with a problem A wannabe audiophile...
            Steve

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

OK I have the solution for all just get speakers implanted in your ear and you will have the perfect sound!! Stem cell research will also help with getting new ear drums for those of us over 30!!! :B
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sc2
                a broke addict with a problem A audiophile...
                join the club
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by sc2
                  How does one know when they have reached the perfect system? One must modify until they have gain enough experience to know what they had in the past was superior to what they have now... or visa versa.

I would absolutely love to know where nirvana would be when it come to audio. As a newb to this stuff i have been slowly learning, trying to establish what I have vs what my material quality I use to what I am missing in my system, even though I have no idea, all I can do is try to gain experience into "the know" be it reading, listening and experimenting!

As you Rebelman have pointed out in the past, an audiophile isn't instant, it takes time to train ones ears to listen (which is really hard when you half tone deaf BTW) but still, the problem remains...

I sometimes think being content in something is cause by reaching a point of... not frustration, but knowing that after spending years trying to get to a point of pleasure, you realize that its not that important that much as the high you get from doing what you like...listening to music.

My system isn't all it can be, it could be better, i know, but I can be happy with it now if I want, but I want the most I can get. I want better sonics, I want a larger frequency range, I want better source material and I want better quality of my pleasure... in fact sometimes it overwhelming to the point to where one NEEDS more... I guess that makes me a broke addict with a problem A wannabe audiophile...
                  forget about being an "audiophile" what ever that is :roll:

the thing to remember is that no matter what you get there will always be better. And espcially given how subjective these things are, often better is in fact just different...

so yeah you cant just keep looking for the better, just a matter of finding that point of contentment...and sitting back and enjoying it for whatever it is

ps addicts ? ofcourse we all are, just check my sig :rofl:
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Jovl
                    • Jan 2009

I heard rumors about a "super 800" by the summer, someone knows something about?

Greetings
                    My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                    Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• JargonGR
                      • Feb 2009

What does super mean? super sounding, bigger, taller, louder and super expensive?

Comment

• William
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                        OK I have the solution for all just get speakers implanted in your ear and you will have the perfect sound!!///:B
                        About 50% the sound you hear in your room is reflected so that won't work without complex DSP. I use UE11 Pros (and have the upgrade fever for the new UE18 Pro' or JH Audio 16 Pro's) and IEM (or headphone) sound is very distinct and quite different than the in room experience. IMO some negatives are some classical music sounds a little sterile and HT has little envelopment. Positives you can render details and nuances that can be muddied in a room. Phasing and imaging is spot on with no nulls or obvious comb filtering.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by William
                          About 50% the sound you hear in your room is reflected so that won't work without complex DSP.
                          Yes, but that has been accomplished. Look up Naxos' "Virtual Haydn" for links to the technology.
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

I think most of you are forgetting that if the task of creating a nice setup was done over night - then most of us would have other hobbies.
                            There is something in the journey for perfection. Doesn't matter if it is getting the perfect car collection, the last stamp - or in our case, the one thing that will make things fall in to place. That is until we discover that there are now a lot of bad recordings or something new is announced..

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Jovl
                              I heard rumors about a "super 800" by the summer, someone knows something about?

Greetings
                              Well, could be interesting. Perhaps this is the prophesized aliminium 800 speaker. I guess it'll never end
                              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• sc2
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Jovl

Greetings

Maybe the Ct series, its improved abit over the SSP-800.
                                Steve

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by sc2
                                  http://www.classectseries.com/
                                  FROM CLASSÉ: The SSP-800 and CT are the same. :T

Maybe The Classé SSP-900 is back!
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Jovl
                                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                    Well, could be interesting. Perhaps this is the prophesized aliminium 800 speaker. I guess it'll never end
                                    It was the successor of "the slag" may be..............?

Greetings
                                    My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                                    Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• worldys
                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sc2
                                      http://www.classectseries.com/
                                      same inside, just different shell

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by worldys
                                        same inside, just different shell
                                        Yes Identical, now it would be nice to see the CT 600 amp into a Delta Shell

Comment

• sc2
                                          • Feb 2008

Yes Identical, now it would be nice to see the CT 600 amp into a Delta Shell
                                          My salesmen told me they are currently working on a new amp, since Classe hired the designer from Linn, I would think the amp would have some similiar characteristics.
                                          Steve

Comment

• Relentless
                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sc2
                                            My salesmen told me they are currently working on a new amp, since Classe hired the designer from Linn, I would think the amp would have some similar characteristics.
                                            My Krell dealer used to sell Classe but he said that there main designers went over to Sim audio. That was a year or two ago. He told me he dropped Classe and picked up Sim because he figured the already good Sim would just get better.
                                            Lou

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                              • Dec 2008

I think we've officially drifted off course folks.
                                              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                Here are some more photos:

Here we go back on track.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                  • Jul 2007

That phase plug has to go! I don't get the bling factor on the new series. Do you think they can retro fit some DUB's on them for stands...... OK that's just my goofy opinion
                                                  Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                    Here we go back on track.
                                                    I wish B&W had done the 800 as the same look at the 802 just bigger, I cant stand that cross over platform it is ugly!

Comment

• sg2
                                                      • Sep 2006

Hi,

I don't like the new series look eiter. The metal rings just look cheap bling, they kill the seamless and smooth look of the tweeter too, and the satin black metal surround of the woofers just looks out of place (to my eyes of course).

I'm going to keep my 802D's & HTM2D's for a loooooooong time, which definately won't be a problem at all (Rebelman's long standing agenda with the 802D's being inferior certainly won't be enough to ignite upgraditis )

Wettou: same here, I would have considered the 800D's if they had the same base as the 801D's / 802D's, I've always found the 800D's crossover base totally ugly.
                                                      Regards,
                                                      --
                                                      Stéphane

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by sg2
                                                        Hi, I'm going to keep my 802D's & HTM2D's for a loooooooong time, which definately won't be a problem at all (even though Rebelman seems to have an agenda with the 802D's being inferior)

Wettou: same here, I would have considered the 800D's if they had the same base as the 801D's / 802D's, I've always found the 800D's crossover base totally ugly.
                                                        Maybe in the next generation they will look better!

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                          • Apr 2008

Well personaly they are growing on me, Alot. I love the new look but im wondering still if i could mod my current 805s to the 805D so they are as good sonicly??

Comment

• sg2
                                                            • Sep 2006

Hi,

I see a lot of such pondering regarding modding speakers. Before you it, please consider this : would you buy a 2nd hand B&W speaker which has been modded by the 1st owner in any way ? I certainly wouldn't.

In other words, I tend to think that hacking a multi thousand $ speaker kills off most of its resale value.

Regards,
                                                            --
                                                            Stéphane
                                                            Regards,
                                                            --
                                                            Stéphane

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                              • Apr 2008

Yeh i understand that i know what you mean it may put people off. But i dont see me changing my speakers anytime soon so any sonic improvment will be a welcome one. Im joining the army soon so i dont have the cash right now to buy new amps and such(Id LOVE some classe gear but i dont have the ££). Maybe i should do some fund raising lol Help me buy high end amps so i can listen to music beautifuly before i head to war!!

Comment

• sc2
                                                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sg2
                                                                Hi,

I see a lot of such pondering regarding modding speakers. Before you it, please consider this : would you buy a 2nd hand B&W speaker which has been modded by the 1st owner in any way ? I certainly wouldn't.

In other words, I tend to think that hacking a multi thousand $ speaker kills off most of its resale value.

Regards,
                                                                --
                                                                Stéphane
                                                                I have 802D's and I have been seriously considering updating to the 800D cross-overs. The only thing different respectively is the woofer size, so the cross-overs will work... they just cost 3K.
                                                                Steve

Comment

• george_k
                                                                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                  I have 802D's and I have been seriously considering updating to the 800D cross-overs. The only thing different respectively is the woofer size, so the cross-overs will work... they just cost 3K.
                                                                  Hmm...that may end up being an expensive experiment ;-)

Comment

• worldys
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                    will they even fit? the x-overs for the 800d are in the big silver base, not sure if you wuld be able to fit them inside the main cabinet of the 802d which i believe has its crossovers behind the woofers

that is why the 800d needs that big pedestal base that others find unsightly, but i like it a lot actually, i think i makes it distinctive, i would be sad if they got rid of id

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2004

The crossovers for the 802D is mounted in the foot of the speaker. No crossover components inside.

Space may however still be an issue, but I would rather purchase the missing components or the different components based on the schematics. Not that different when it comes to it - especially now that we can compare the component spare part numbers. Basically only the mid range is different as it does have a somewhat different cut off freq.
                                                                      Still, I think most of the sound difference between the 802D and the 800D is in the crossover so they idea is interesting..

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2007

They seem to have followed the same trend as cars adding unnecessary shiny trim (just my opinion). I prefer the monolithic look of the previous series and am very disappointed that they have replaced black ash by the gloss black finish.

I would think that the extra trim would be a little distracting in a HT environment.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2008

I just saw this post on another forum and I just had to share it. While I'm not a huge fan of the silver rings either, I think this poster has taken his dislike for them to a whole new level! :B

Doesn't seem like most people agree with him however...

Originally posted by Grtgatz
                                                                          B&W new 800 Series Wins Award – for truly ugly speakers!

First, let me say that I am about to break a ‘cardinal rule’ in judging something for its looks rather than its abilities. However, in the world of music and movies, visual aesthetics and beauty are still important and it is especially evident B&W seems to have abandoned a great history of understanding this.

The new 800 Series speakers look to have abandoned their thoroughbred linage and have adopted the Tuesdays-child or ugly duckling approach. It appears they tossed the baby out with the bathwater, as they say. Did they not listen to, or did they fire, the design team that has guided them since around 2000? Did someone in England decide that boiled cabbage and potatoes could compete as fare on the worldwide menu against utterly awe inspiring sauces, soufflés, meats and deserts? B&W has literally turned what has been to-die-for Beef Wellington into nothing more than ‘bangers and mash’!

I feel abandoned, or like a parent who discovers their much loved and cherished child has just committed a sin against society and everything they have been taught and held sacred! Or, as if you had been – for some years – entrusting your hard earned money to financial leaders and guru’s to now find out you are broke and they have destroyed your saving, hopes and dreams. Did Bernie Madoff of the United States take over management at B&W? Am I rambling in my outrage in finding B&W must have been taken over by aliens? Did Engineering (Gary Geaves) take over design from Kenneth Grange? Did someone die and someone got promoted in B&W who long bemoaned not getting that set of $29.99 Radio Shack speakers for Christmas as a child? Yes, I will say it, if I have not said it ten different ways already, these speakers look cheap! They look like they should be sold out of the back of a panel van in a broken down industrial neighborhood. Not everyone, in fact most people, do not want to stare at the actual speaker units. While it may be something that is better than sex for an engineer, little silver rings around the bass, mid-range and tweeters are cheap looking in comparison to fabric covers – which do not negatively effect delivery of their historic great sound.

My suggestion, take a BIG step BACKWARDS! Having personally run GE’s business process improvement initiatives and customer services, get to know what you do best and stick to it. If not, the first thing to do is listen to your ‘customer’. Rarely in history has the lone voice been right. This is definitely NOT one of them. And I cautioned myself to think hard before writing this as I have always been a champion of the lone voice. B&W has also chosen – I am told for profit and sales number reasons, not lack of greatness - to abandon the HTM1D for the HTM2D-design that they have repeatedly been told in reviews, by customers and in private is sonically mismatched to the historical 804D or higher level of their speakers.

I have had, and do have, what are considered some ugly and – heaven forbid – aesthetically mismatched equipment - though I have tried to stay with black-finished hardware. B&W has lost a customer in me, and at least six others who I know personally have the money and were prepared to upgrade, but not now. I and these others will now be looking harder at Wilson, Magico and others. These others, are different, but not cheap and ugly like these new (and higher priced) monstrosities. B&W, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder but these are just plain butt-ugly and only something a mother could love! You have abandoned us, your customer, and all beauty you had achieved and continually built on over the last ten years. Even the great fashion models of the world wear clothes and make-up.

I regret I am not championing these speakers historic inner beauty. But B&W seems to have lost sight of something, that not all of their customers are engineers or absolute audiophiles. And, that it is easier to sell something, especially for ten-thousand dollars (US$) or more that looks nice in ones home.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 459

A little over the top maybe but lets face it,the new series of 800's are visually very busy now.When they should have remained a simple elegant.The will loose customers that much I'm sure of.

Comment

• sc2
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Feb 2008
                                                                              • 65

too each their own... but, I too consider them too flashy.

If he was truly for sound quality, he would find a way to cover up those rings.
                                                                              Steve

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

Whoa, B&W new speakers are really unleashing a lot of emotion you either love them or hate them at least for the look. I am kind of in the middle

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

Originally posted by sg2
                                                                                  I'm going to keep my 802D's & HTM2D's for a loooooooong time, which definately won't be a problem at all (Rebelman's long standing agenda with the 802D's being inferior certainly won't be enough to ignite upgraditis )
                                                                                  Heyyy! I have always claimed the 802Ds to be great speakers and I applaud your disposition SG. No agenda here other than to enjoy the music. :B

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

I wish B&W had done the 800 as the same look at the 802 just bigger, I cant stand that cross over platform it is ugly!
                                                                                    B&W WANTED to build a similar block plinth on the new 802 Diamonds but later decided against it because the effort was to great. A little food for thought.

I don't particularly fancy the esthetic design of the 800 plinth either but the crossover network and assoiated components were so large B&W had to make it that way. A contured plinth was too small. On the plus side the block plinth supports and stabilizes the 800 in ways that the 802 can only dream of with its nicer form fitting plinth.

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2007
                                                                                      • 51

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                                                      I just saw this post on another forum and I just had to share it. While I'm not a huge fan of the silver rings either, I think this poster has taken his dislike for them to a whole new level! :B
                                                                                      Whoa, that is a rant and half. Personally I am happy with the overall look of the new 800D series because they did not muck about with the fundamental aesthetic design.
                                                                                      After 2+ years of owning the 803D, I still find it one of the most aesthetically satisfying loudspeaker designs and way prefer the looks to virtually any other loudspeaker irrespective of price.
                                                                                      But I still take exception to the 800D plinth which is just wrong.

While I am not a fan of the silver ring highlights, I think most folks are overstating the impact because the midrange and woofers will be hidden most of the time by the grill (which, thank you B&W, can be easily removed for serious listening due to magnetic connections).
                                                                                      Also there is a fair chance the tweeter grill can be replaced by the old series plain black version. If not, then simply buy a spare pair and paint them black :T !

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2006
                                                                                        • 1676

I'm on strike, and won't be buying the new 805D's until they offer it in black ash. I really can't believe they did away with black ash, particularly since the 805D is such a natural speaker upgrade for the rear channels, and for those who already have their front speakers in black ash.

Black Ash...are you listening B&W?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1537

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                          B&W WANTED to build a similar block plinth on the new 802 Diamonds but later decided against it because the effort was to great. A little food for thought.

I don't particularly fancy the esthetic design of the 800 plinth either but the crossover network and assoiated components were so large B&W had to make it that way. A contured plinth was too small. On the plus side the block plinth supports and stabilizes the 800 in ways that the 802 can only dream of with its nicer form fitting plinth.
                                                                                          I like the 800 and the plinth. I will take that plinth over the 802 any day. ;x( If they offered the 802 with a plinth like the 800 I would take it over the one that it currently has.

IMO that plinth is a statement in the 800 line. If your 800 series have that plinth you know its good :lol: 8)
                                                                                          B&W

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                                            • 459

Originally posted by beden1
                                                                                            I'm on strike, and won't be buying the new 805D's until they offer it in black ash. I really can't believe they did away with black ash, particularly since the 805D is such a natural speaker upgrade for the rear channels, and for those who already have their front speakers in black ash.

Black Ash...are you listening B&W?
                                                                                            This is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.With a whole lot of unrest in the B&W world as far as the consumer goes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"