• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by bwsound
    Just to give a comparison between the two rosenut 802 models

Whoa that is really dark, not my cup of tea how about the Cherry! I like the fact that you don't have the holes to put the grid are they using magnets I assume?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

looks like the new series doesn't have as many screws as the old series to hold the bass drivers in... interesting. Seems like extra two screws would definitely help with sealing a little better.. guess this was a cost cutting measure?
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
        looks like the new series doesn't have as many screws as the old series to hold the bass drivers in... interesting. Seems like extra two screws would definitely help with sealing a little better.. guess this was a cost cutting measure?
        Increased profit margins

No I think it is just design
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• 1oldguy
          • Dec 2008

The color in the previous rosenut was much more attractive.It's would be interesting to see a side by side of the Cherry.
          A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• bwsound
            • Jan 2010

Next...

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Is it just me or does the bass units look different? Like the center of the unit is more recessed? In terms of the wood, my 802D's look similar to the new diamonds cherry. So guess it is up to the individual unit - or depending on if you got an early or late model of the "D's"

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

Also of interest it looks as if at the bottom of the revised edition there is no bottom plate.Looks as if the wood of the cabinet touches the floor.
                I also like the look of the flow port in the previous version.It gave the speaker character.Clearly if I had to some up the vibe is gone.
                The Cherry wood appears very washed out.

Comment

• ryan.devry
                  • Apr 2008

The video on the B&W site that shows some of the assemble for the 800 series is pretty cool..Aside from the lame commentary...Some of the fabrication methods they outline were interesting (I had never seen how they form the Cabinets until I watched the video)...Just a random comment.....
                  Ryan
                  -------------------------

Comment

• 1oldguy
                    • Dec 2008

Is that an aluminum bullet in the mid-range?Wondering if it is, would B&W sell them for those desiring them?It's about the only thing I like of the new revision.
                    I read in a post that B&W admitted that the aluminum bullet did improve the midrange sound.But couldn't explain why.

Comment

• kaitkei
                      • Jan 2010

Hello,

I am a long time B&W fan, although I have never owned any, I have lusted after them for many years. I am now at a time in my life that these new 802 Diamonds are a definite possibility for me, although the price is a major consideration obviously. I am curious to find out what the Canadian retail is on these new 800's.

An observation I wanted to point out with regards to the driver mounting. It looks as though the six mounting holes are to hold the metal trim ring in place only. If you look here http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...110&infid=4613 there are still eight mounting points for the woofer itself. This would also explain how B&W "recessed" the driver into the cabinet which I think gives the speaker a much cleaner look along with the missing grill holes. The grills also look to "hug" the cabinet better because of this. :T

With the talk of the realigned bass and completely new double magnet system on the woofers, I am hoping that the 802 and 800's will now dip into the 20Hz range at -3db. That would be very nice if they did and I think that they will. :W

Comment

• bwsound
                        • Jan 2010

I don't think the studio pictures from the B&W site aren't as representive as the real life ones. See for yourself and thank God for that...

Comment

• Orb
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by aarsoe
                          Is it just me or does the bass units look different? Like the center of the unit is more recessed? In terms of the wood, my 802D's look similar to the new diamonds cherry. So guess it is up to the individual unit - or depending on if you got an early or late model of the "D's"
                          Yeah definitely seems to be different on woofers, looks like more of a redesign than just the two magnets (makes sense).

Also, you notice how there is different gap measurements between each of the three drivers (804 comparison photo) ?
                          Mid,woofer,woofer, and lowers the port flow.

Cheers
                          Orb

Edit:
                          Oops realised photo is 804 comparison not 803, changed post

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Yes... I was about to suggest this..

The photos are clearly computer generated out of a 3D Studio program. As a result I don't think you can pay much attention to the color, reflection etc..
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bwsound
                              • Jan 2010

The color difference definitely had to do with some artifical after effects, the color difference isn't as big as in some earlier pictures I've posted. An old 804s versus new 804d picture...

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Much better I kind of am starting to like the look very clean

Comment

• Ken49r
                                  • Dec 2007

Next...

The veneer is different in the photos. The newer one looks artificial compared to the previous series. I wonder if they are using a different veneer, possibly due to the factory leaving Denmark?

Maybe there is more as to why they are not offering the black ash this series but chose to blame it on low sales?

Comment

• bwsound
                                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                    The veneer is different in the photos. The newer one looks artificial compared to the previous series. I wonder if they are using a different veneer, possibly due to the factory leaving Denmark?

Maybe there is more as to why they are not offering the black ash this series but chose to blame it on low sales?

It just has to do with the pictures they provided, the colors clearly don't match the real life version, which can be seen here and here...
                                    Last edited by bwsound; 12 January 2010, 17:11 Tuesday.

Comment

• ljs1228
                                      • Apr 2008

Centre Speaker for Signature Diamond

Hi there and Happy New Year to Everyone!

I have a set of Signature Diamond Speakers and am purchasing another set for my surrounds. I was intending on using this as a 4.1 system but am wondering now, with the addition of the gloss black finish, if the HTM2D would not be a welcome addition for a 5.1 system? The finish of my Signature Diamond is the wakame. Do you think that the HTM2D would look/sound good ?
                                      Thanks
                                      ljs1228
                                      P.S. My sub is a PV1 and I am also considering getting a second one of those as well. The pictures of my system are in the B and W site on page 58 or so.

Comment

• wgriel
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Orb
                                        Yeah definitely seems to be different on woofers, looks like more of a redesign than just the two magnets (makes sense).
                                        Yes - the old ones have that "mushroom" construction, while it appears the new bass drivers have a smaller dust cap in place.

Comment

• Hammie
                                          • Oct 2005

The new ones look computer generated. I think the pics that btf1980 are a better representation of real life looks.
                                          Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                          Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                          Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                          Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                          B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                          Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                          My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                          Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

It looks like B&W changed their bass drivers away from the Rohacell® cone bass drivers. The new ones look just like the bass drivers in my A/D/S 910's that I bought new in 1976.

The Rohacell® cone bass drivers demand power as they are hard to drive, but once fired up, they sound great and are very strong.

Maybe the new ones are more efficient and require less juice.

I don't know about the new ones, but I really like my black ash 803Ds just like they are. The veneer on the new ones look cheap, without showing the dynamic grain that are on mine.

Comment

• bwsound
                                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by louhamilton
                                              The new ones look computer generated. I think the pics that btf1980 are a better representation of real life looks.
                                              You can see the difference clearly in this picture Left picture is computer generated, the other is taken in real life

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                                                It looks like B&W changed their bass drivers away from the Rohacell® cone bass drivers. The new ones look just like the bass drivers in my A/D/S 910's that I bought new in 1976.

The Rohacell® cone bass drivers demand power as they are hard to drive, but once fired up, they sound great and are very strong.

Maybe the new ones are more efficient and require less juice.

I don't know about the new ones, but I really like my black ash 803Ds just like they are. The veneer on the new ones look cheap, without showing the dynamic grain that are on mine.
                                                still using Rohacell®.
                                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

I think a bit of skeptisism is good, but I think we are nit picking a bit much... I have yet to see two pairs of veneered speakers that are not black that look consistently the same. the wood is from the same forrest they have been using.

BTW, for thos interested, I did ask why they got rid of red cherry, and the response was that it was painted on, and they prefer the stained look.
                                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                    BTW, for thos interested, I did ask why they got rid of red cherry, and the response was that it was painted on, and they prefer the stained look.
                                                    That answers my question why cherry looks so different in the new series. Has a blondish look rather than orange tint.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                      • Dec 2008

I think a bit of skeptisism is good, but I think we are nit picking a bit much... I have yet to see two pairs of veneered speakers that are not black that look consistently the same. the wood is from the same forrest they have been using.

Don't know if you caught my earlier post about b&W admitting that the aluminum midrange bullet sounding better?It is possible you could find out if the new aluminum bullets will fit in the previous midranges from the 800 series?
                                                      Easy upgrade if it does.

Comment

• William
                                                        • Aug 2006

So why are there only 6 screws holding the woofers in the new 802's instead of 8? :E While 8 may be overkill, reducing to 6 can't be an improvement.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by William
                                                          So why are there only 6 screws holding the woofers in the new 802's instead of 8? :E While 8 may be overkill, reducing to 6 can't be an improvement.
                                                          See post #595

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                            The 803S is not a "stand-mount" speaker! :B The 805 Diamond is $5K, I believe, but for your purposes, the 804 Diamond seems a better fit. A little bit above your budget, though. The 803S seems like it would be a good bet if you can find it.
                                                            Next to the 800D the 803S was without question the best tonally balanced speaker in the current (I guess old now) line. I am very enthusiastic about the work that has been done to the 805 Diamond and to a slightly lesser extent the 804 Diamond. It has been long overdue and they are my personal faves of the new series from an engineering stand point.
                                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

As I have stated previously the veneers are procured from IDENTICAL sources and only one factory moved. The other remained.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

I find it strange that B&W still hasn't updated the official site with the new 800 series. We want to see the specifications, how the new drivers are made, what exactly is done to the crossover, etc. I want the facts...
                                                                They had some material at the show but nothing for public consumption (i.e. for the taking). It is forth comming though.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

The 802N had 6 screws

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

One thing that I like about the new series is how much more cleaner they look without the cover on the bass units. The "old" 802D's had a much more rough look with screws being more visible compared to the new mounting.
                                                                    Yes, I agree. The old series look more rugged and the new series look more elegant.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                                      I prefer the more rugged look myself.
                                                                      Ditto

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Agreed.

The omission of black ash is my biggest concern with the new series. The silver rings would look just as nice on the black ash. IMO piano black makes cheaper components look expensive, and probably why so many Def-Tech speakers fly out of places like BestBuy. They can't offer a better looking wood veneer at the same price. I chose my 800's in black ash because the grain of the wood was one of the best I've ever seen. Piano black is used on everything today from computers to toasters. It's a fad that will lose it's luster in years and I surely don't want to spend $24,000.00 on plastic looking speakers.

I would prefer B&W offer the customer a choice in blacks as JL Audio does.
                                                                        There are a few things to keep in mind when B&W selects their finishes. They are in a global market and need to cater to the needs of most individuals within those markets. For instance in the US B&W sells more Rosenut speakers than any other finish. In the UK Cherrywood has been by far the most popular. I don't know how Black (satin or gloss) fits into the global picture but I am certain they did some research prior to settling on one or the other. I do know from their business model that they have to limit the number of color options they make available. It's no different for any other manufacture that spends time and money on wood/laqure based finishes. Wilson Audio's auto body finishes does not apply in the same vein plus there are steep premiums to have that option.

Comment

• wildmda
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2009

So rosenut from current to new will not be a match?

Is this a strategic move on b&ws part to get you to buy all new?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by wildmda
                                                                            So rosenut from current to new will not be a match? Is this a strategic move on b&ws part to get you to buy all new?
                                                                            You got it it is called repeat customers :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

The bass drivers have changed somewhat.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                The bass drivers have changed somewhat.
                                                                                Is it worth upgrading!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                                                  Is that an aluminum bullet in the mid-range?Wondering if it is, would B&W sell them for those desiring them?It's about the only thing I like of the new revision.
                                                                                  I read in a post that B&W admitted that the aluminum bullet did improve the midrange sound.But couldn't explain why.
                                                                                  Yes it is. In the previous series a black aluminum phase plug was included for those that wanted to remove the Marlan FST grill and the black plastic phase plug that supported it. And yes they are compatible between series. Not sure why you would want brushed aluminium though. Black seems to be a better fit for the rugged appearance we share.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 1098

Originally posted by ljs1228
                                                                                    Hi there and Happy New Year to Everyone!

I have a set of Signature Diamond Speakers and am purchasing another set for my surrounds. I was intending on using this as a 4.1 system but am wondering now, with the addition of the gloss black finish, if the HTM2D would not be a welcome addition for a 5.1 system? The finish of my Signature Diamond is the wakame. Do you think that the HTM2D would look/sound good ?
                                                                                    Thanks
                                                                                    ljs1228
                                                                                    P.S. My sub is a PV1 and I am also considering getting a second one of those as well. The pictures of my system are in the B and W site on page 58 or so.
                                                                                    Thanks for the new year wishes, ljs1228. May 2010 be a good one for you too.

Without having heard the HTM2D (outgoing) in combination with the Sig Diamonds it is not easy to answer your question. Here's a try though.

What can be said is that it would not be a perfect match due to the inherent differences between both types of speaker. For example the Sig Diamonds have a sensitivity of 88dB whilst the HTM2D is rated at 90dB. You would need to attenuate your signal to the HTM2D somewhat (in your processor settings) in order to achieve volume matching over your front end. Another difference is that the midrange drivers are different. The Sig Diamonds employ a 7 inch driver which is not an FST unit. The HTM2D employes a 6 inch FST midrange driver.

What is important to understand is that in multichannel surround sound (movies included here) the most important speaker is your centre. The reason is that it is utilized to output vocals and thus forms the most critical component concerning soundstage coherency. If it is not properly matched (and by this I mean voiced to match) then it will most certainly "take away" and impact negatively on the overall sound that your front end produces. Whether this is material (significant) to you, only you would be able to determine.

The best centre speaker for your setup would be another Sig Diamond. Understandably it might not be practical to go this route though, unless height & spacing issues are not problematic for you.

An idea might be for you to try to get your supplier to lend you an HTM2D for a few days for you to try out in your system. In this way you would be able to self determine. This is the ultimate true test.

I am not able to advise regarding the color matching (Wakame, with Belgian Black marble tweeter vs Piano black) ... sorry.

Good luck though and please let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

Originally posted by kaitkei
                                                                                      An observation I wanted to point out with regards to the driver mounting. It looks as though the six mounting holes are to hold the metal trim ring in place only. If you look here http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...110&infid=4613 there are still eight mounting points for the woofer itself.
                                                                                      I suspect that is a driver for a different cabinet they are showing. See the 804/803 drivers and compare them to the 802/800 to see the difference.

Comment

• style
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 1562

Hi,

the color I think is only a "photo" effects..."live" will be the same rosenut,....

is like the Rotel, the new 15series: in Internet are not the same color but live they are the same...

with the new piano black is nice for the first 2-3 month after will be always
                                                                                        "fat - dirty "....
                                                                                        I have a notebook in the same piano black and after a pair mail "the nice black is a "fat black!!! after 3 months of shiny black becomes black dirt :W ------------------------

The stand from the new 805D are the same today used for the 805S.
                                                                                        well the stand are at home now we wait the 805D :W

Style

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

Actually it was stain but to them it looked like it was cheaply painted.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                                            • 200

Originally posted by kaitkei
                                                                                            Hello,

I am a long time B&W fan, although I have never owned any, I have lusted after them for many years. I am now at a time in my life that these new 802 Diamonds are a definite possibility for me, although the price is a major consideration obviously. I am curious to find out what the Canadian retail is on these new 800's.

An observation I wanted to point out with regards to the driver mounting. It looks as though the six mounting holes are to hold the metal trim ring in place only. If you look here http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...110&infid=4613 there are still eight mounting points for the woofer itself. This would also explain how B&W "recessed" the driver into the cabinet which I think gives the speaker a much cleaner look along with the missing grill holes. The grills also look to "hug" the cabinet better because of this. :T

With the talk of the realigned bass and completely new double magnet system on the woofers, I am hoping that the 802 and 800's will now dip into the 20Hz range at -3db. That would be very nice if they did and I think that they will. :W
                                                                                            I just called my dealer here in BC and the MSRP of the new 802D is $16,500 Canadian compared to $16,000 for the old 802D. Not much of an increase in Canada but I guess this reflects the stronger Canadian dollar.....hmmm my dealer gave me a healthy 30% discount on my 804S's 3 years ago I wonder how much discount he would give me on the 802D's :lol:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"