X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I must say I find it amusing how sure people are about the new series not being good. I remeber the same was said when the d series first came out. The best anyone can say at this point is tone determined.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

To be determined

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

I'm sure they will be very nice. Also here in europe, the price hike is no more than the inflation, ie. same prices as the old version. For the 800-803d at least.
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
          I must say I find it amusing how sure people are about the new series not being good. I remeber the same was said when the d series first came out. The best anyone can say at this point is tone determined.
          I would agree sikoniko,

One would think we are "b&w fanboys" because of their quality and the confidence we have in these products. So many complaints of the price increase as if there is no real reason to justify it.

I think the best we can do until they hit the shops is complain or appreciate the new exterior enhancements which are growing on me more and more.

Further major advances in audio-critical areas provide the entire range with a dramatic leap forward in terms of audio quality compared to the outgoing 800 Series. The diamond dome tweeter is now a quad-magnet design, which increases efficiency and improves the dynamic range of the top-end performance. A new surround material aids dispersion characteristics, and provides a more stable stereo image while increasing openness.

At the other end of the tonal scale, bass performance has also improved with the introduction of a new dual magnet motor system, which utilises powerful neodymium magnets. This innovative design improves the linearity of the bass drivers’ performance, therefore reducing harmonic distortion.

Serious work has also gone into the small details that combine to make a loudspeaker special. New Bowers & Wilkins-designed oxygen-free-copper speaker terminals and links ensure the signal quality into the speaker is the best possible. All models’ crossovers feature a new design of capacitor using a unique silver, gold and oil construction. This component, chosen subjectively by Bowers & Wilkins engineers, in itself provides a dramatic increase in sound quality.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Ken49r
            I would agree sikoniko, One would think we are "b&w fanboys" because of their quality and the confidence we have in these products. So many complaints of the price increase as if there is no real reason to justify it. I think the best we can do until they hit the shops is complain or appreciate the new exterior enhancements which are growing on me more and more.
            Yes let's see once we have a chance to audition them might be worth the upgrade :alol: who knows :nonod: let our ears be the judge :B
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Sometimes it is better to have facts instead of assumptions. The new diamond is a complete redesign that includes four magnets and a new surround housing to include better control and dynamics. There is also a new dual magnet LF woofer that uses neodidium instead of what they were before. I'll let rebelman explain the crossover upgrades. I would equate the upgrade for 805 and 804 as significant while the others as more of a major tweak to improve performance.

Depending on who you talked to at the booth, they claim the new 802 diamond is as good or better than the outgoing 800d.
              Hum that good hey!!
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                Hum that good hey!!
                Didn't they claim that on the last upgrade as well?
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                  • Mar 2008

I don't think anyone has said the new series will not be "good". I think people are debating whether for current "D" owners whether the "Diamond" would be worth replacing their current speakers for, and for many it seems unlikely. For those that have yet bought the 800 series, though, the Diamonds remaining a compelling choice.

For myself, before the launch, I had considered whether to replace my 805Ss with the 805 Diamonds as surrounds, just to better match my 802D fronts. That seems doubtful now given the price and also the stylistic change. If, however, I somehow move to a larger home anytime soon (doubtful), I wouldn't be so against buying a pair of 805 Diamonds and "adding" it to my system for 7.1, silver bezels and all. :B However, this seems an unlikely scenario for me, and any "upgrade" to my current house might be better timed to at least 6 years down the line when B&W completely re-styles and re-tools the 800 series. Now THAT would be a compelling upgrade to me! :T

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                    Didn't they claim that on the last upgrade as well?
                    Every upgrade is better kind of like the Lexus SC-430 they have not change the style since 1999 but every year they add a new little something and call it better

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                      Nice to see you posting again James! The 805D's must be quite intriguing to inspire you out of your HT Guide "reclusion". I would love to have a pair of those for surrounds.... 8)

Every year I kick myself for not going to Vegas/CES with you guys....maybe next year !
                      It's much easier to post now that I am back home than it was on the road with an iPhone. You're right about the 805 Diamond spuring my curiosity and yes there's always next year!
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        I got to hear the 805Ds and was quite impressed with the overall balance and power, given the unfamiliar system and room.
                        Balance seem to be the key word for this new series. We got to spend ample time (considering the venue) with the 802Ds but the 805Ds were stuffed in a corner and mostly ignored during our visit. I suspect timing is everything at these events.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Ken49r
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                          I think people are debating whether for current "D" owners whether the "Diamond" would be worth replacing their current speakers for, and for many it seems unlikely.

However, this seems an unlikely scenario for me, and any "upgrade" to my current house might be better timed to at least 6 years down the line when B&W completely re-styles and re-tools the 800 series. Now THAT would be a compelling upgrade to me! :T
                          Honestly I don't think any current owner of diamond speakers will upgrade unless they happen to have some spare cash lying around. I doubt if Abby Road or Lucas Films upgrades either unless B&W is giving them away as some sort of advertisement campaign.

B&W's biggest achievement in this upgrade is giving the us the 805D that has been asked for ever since I've been reading this forum. Finally it's here.

Price wise it doesn't seem that far off from what I've come to expect from B&W. The upgrades in the upper tier of the 800 series isn't that dramatic for the upgrades they have added vs the 804 & 805 getting the diamond along with other upgrades as well. Hell I think I paid $600.00 for the 805 stands that didn't give me anywhere near the upgrade the speakers are getting.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                            • Mar 2008

I agree, I think the true story of the new line is the 805 Diamond and to a smaller extent, the 804 Diamond. Especially for someone looking for a stand-mount stereo pair, it would be hard to ignore the 805 Diamond!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                              • Dec 2008

Still after all this time I just can't warm up to the new look of the 800 series.
                              I've always gotten the impression that the people who buy b&W do so based upon not just sound but the beauty of them as well.They appear to busy to the eye for my taste since the revision.I really wonder who came up with the silly idea of the,Ring around the woofers,concept.And even more disturbed at who gave it the green light.I just can't get the cheep car audio analogy out of my minds eye.
                              Something akin to adding earrings to the Mona Lisa is what they've accomplished visually,at least for me.
                              But I do respect those here who do like it.But before the revision I would think everyone liked the vibe they had.Clearly that isn't the case anymore.Can this help sales?I think not.
                              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• george_k
                                • Jan 2004

I agree, I think the true story of the new line is the 805 Diamond and to a smaller extent, the 804 Diamond. Especially for someone looking for a stand-mount stereo pair, it would be hard to ignore the 805 Diamond!
                                I don't know about that. I own a pair of 703s and was looking to upgrade to a pair of 803s in the near future, with the price hike I feel I would now be getting less of a 'complete' speaker for $6k (805D vs 803S).

When the time comes, if I can't find a pair of 803S locally, I'll most probably buy something non-B&W.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                  Still after all this time I just can't warm up to the new look of the 800 series.
                                  I've always gotten the impression that the people who buy b&W do so based upon not just sound but the beauty of them as well.They appear to busy to the eye for my taste since the revision.I really wonder who came up with the silly idea of the,Ring around the woofers,concept.And even more disturbed at who gave it the green light.I just can't get the cheep car audio analogy out of my minds eye.
                                  Something akin to adding earrings to the Mona Lisa is what they've accomplished visually,at least for me.
                                  But I do respect those here who do like it.But before the revision I would think everyone liked the vibe they had.Clearly that isn't the case anymore.Can this help sales?I think not.
                                  I think maybe due to the success of the CM series led them to believe that people want a more "modern", "designer" look that perhaps better matched their flatscreens. However, I think the target market of people who buy the CM series and the 800 series are quite different.

Maybe we should have expected this new "styling" when they introduced the DB1.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by george_k
                                    I don't know about that. I own a pair of 703s and was looking to upgrade to a pair of 803s in the near future, with the price hike I feel I would now be getting less of a 'complete' speaker for $6k (805D vs 803S).
                                    The 803S is not a "stand-mount" speaker! :B The 805 Diamond is $5K, I believe, but for your purposes, the 804 Diamond seems a better fit. A little bit above your budget, though. The 803S seems like it would be a good bet if you can find it.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I've always gotten the impression that the people who buy b&W do so based upon not just sound but the beauty of them as well.They appear to busy to the eye for my taste since the revision.I really wonder who came up with the silly idea of the,Ring around the woofers,concept.
                                      hmmmm I wonder!!!!!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Ken49r
                                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                        hmmmm I wonder!!!!!
                                        :rofl: I'm sorry, but that was funny!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

I dont get what all the gripe is about the "new" speakers.
                                          They are still better looking than 99% of all speakers out there IMO.
                                          B&W

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Honestly I don't think any current owner of diamond speakers will upgrade unless they happen to have some spare cash lying around.
                                            Bankers and dealers do look at the bonuses on Wall Street

I doubt if Abby Road or Lucas Films upgrades either unless B&W is giving them away as some sort of advertisement campaign.
                                            Yes they will they are their advertising windows

B&W's biggest achievement in this upgrade is giving the us the 805D that has been asked for ever since I've been reading this forum. Finally it's here.
                                            Yes but $5K ouch Paradigm is going to have a field day with their berylium tweeter and half the price

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                              I dont get what all the gripe is about the "new" speakers.
                                              They are still better looking than 99% of all speakers out there IMO.
                                              The only problen I have is that they are no longer offering black ash. I really want the 805Ds for my surrounds, but, I am hesitant because they won't match my front three speakers.

Comment

• Hammie
                                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                                The only problen I have is that they are no longer offering black ash. I really want the 805Ds for my surrounds, but, I am hesitant because they won't match my front three speakers.
                                                You can always buy a wood grain version and take it to a cabinet/furniture re-finisher to get it stained black. I know that is something you don't necessarily want to do with brand new speakers, but it may be your only option.
                                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• bwsound
                                                  • Jan 2010

I find it strange that B&W still hasn't updated the official site with the new 800 series. We want to see the specifications, how the new drivers are made, what exactly is done to the crossover, etc. I want the facts...

Comment

• Charlieu
                                                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by bwsound
                                                    I find it strange that B&W still hasn't updated the official site with the new 800 series. We want to see the specifications, how the new drivers are made, what exactly is done to the crossover, etc. I want the facts...
                                                    Lots of new pictures to take, copy to write and be approved. I hope they do a new promotional DVD too. I still enjoy the music selections they put on the one for the D series.

Heck, since I'm speculating, let's go whole hog. They still might be considering adding options like black trim rings.

Comment

• bwsound
                                                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Charlieu
                                                      Lots of new pictures to take, copy to write and be approved. I hope they do a new promotional DVD too. I still enjoy the music selections they put on the one for the D series.

Heck, since I'm speculating, let's go whole hog. They still might be considering adding options like black trim rings.
                                                      Yeah, but by now I would have expected a dedicated 800 page with specifications...

Sooner or later some one will come up with black rings to ad, if it will be B&W?! The rings are ok on the new black, but with the natural wood it's completly out of place. Replacing them on the drivers might be an easy to do yourself job, I think not so with the flowport, it might be glued...

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                                        • Jul 2009

Well, the tweeters are easy. Some matte black pin stripping for auto... the rest you could use the pin stripping and the grills to cover it up or some masking tape and matte black paint if it really bothers you (anyone). I think if you buy them, bring them home you will love them no matter what. We all know there is lots of ways to fix the silver/chrome rings, but the price increase is the real joke of it all. IMHO.. MIKE

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

CES Show Floor - only took pictures of the speakers...

Room at the Mirage. Lighting was bad. I didn't take a pic of the Rotel/805D System...
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• bwsound
                                                            • Jan 2010

Those black ones sure do look sexy! But you've gotta love to dust them twice a day

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                              • Dec 2008

Just look at all that reflection.Now try to envision it for HT.
                                                              The more pictures I see the more I am convinced that the old Black Ash was the way to go.It's just too much of a good thing for my tastes.
                                                              Isn't it interesting that there is no 802D among the lot?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                • May 2004

One thing that I like about the new series is how much more cleaner they look without the cover on the bass units. The "old" 802D's had a much more rough look with screws being more visible compared to the new mounting.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                                                  One thing that I like about the new series is how much more cleaner they look without the cover on the bass units. The "old" 802D's had a much more rough look with screws being more visible compared to the new mounting.
                                                                  I prefer the more rugged look myself.

Comment

• bwsound
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2010

The more pictures I see the more I am convinced that the old Black Ash was the way to go.It's just too much of a good thing for my tastes.
                                                                    Isn't it interesting that there is no 802D among the lot?
                                                                    The glossy black is obviously not designed for HT! Makes you think why did they leave out the Black Ash!?!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

What screws you mean holes for the grids!

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

No - not the holes, but the actual number of screws being used for holding the bass units in place.
                                                                        The new design seems to be using smaller ones that are leveled with surface and not like the hex screws that stand out on the "old" 8XXD series..

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

No - not the holes, but the actual number of screws being used for holding the bass units in place. The new design seems to be using smaller ones that are leveled with surface and not like the hex screws that stand out on the "old" 8XXD series..
                                                                          Detailed picture please

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 459

Detailed picture please
                                                                            Trust me there is a definite difference.Looks a little to soft core now.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

Trust me there is a definite difference.Looks a little to soft core now.
                                                                              Yes but I still would like to see it :cry:

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2007
                                                                                • 312

Agreed.

The omission of black ash is my biggest concern with the new series. The silver rings would look just as nice on the black ash. IMO piano black makes cheaper components look expensive, and probably why so many Def-Tech speakers fly out of places like BestBuy. They can't offer a better looking wood veneer at the same price. I chose my 800's in black ash because the grain of the wood was one of the best I've ever seen. Piano black is used on everything today from computers to toasters. It's a fad that will lose it's luster in years and I surely don't want to spend $24,000.00 on plastic looking speakers.

I would prefer B&W offer the customer a choice in blacks as JL Audio does.

Comment

• bwsound
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2010
                                                                                  • 15

Detailed picture please

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2007
                                                                                    • 312

That wood grain is beautiful. It represents the solid bracing used inside. When you knock on one it feels as though they are built from a tree trunk, and heavy as one too.

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 646

I'm really digging the piano black, especially on the 803 and 804, don't mind the rings, but the silver phase plug...bleh. I'd swap it out for a black one.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

Did they add leather in the front?

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2008
                                                                                          • 459

Did they add leather in the front?
                                                                                          I don't think so.It certainly looks bad in that close up I see.

Comment

• bwsound
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2010
                                                                                            • 15

Just to give a comparison between the two rosenut 802 models

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"