X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
    Well, my dealer was somewhat surprised by my rumors, but was able to half confirm the new series presentation in the beginning of 2010, and the 40% price hike.

So now my order of the 800D's was cancelled and changed to the new series, whenever they're available.

Hey, first to order!
    40% hike?!?!?!??!?!? 8O

What on earth will they use to construct them? unicorn hair?
    If such a hike is true, then I would expect some serious upgrade from the current 800 series example: like room compensation (something like vandersteen does)

Comment

• jamesdaman
      • Apr 2008

What Im being told is the look should be tweeked, not sure how much at this stage. I was also told they havent decided on a look 100% still a few things to iron out. The only thing i have been told is they should sound in the words of one guy who has been to the factory resently and couldnt tell me anymore then "AWESOME"! Im going to grab some 804S at about £2400 hopfuly so thats not a bad price, if anyone wants the current 800 series, best ask now seems B&W want to move on the stock

Comment

• audiofiel10
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
        Some dealers should keep there mouths shut :M
        Ha ha...sounds like a dealer to me...

Can you tell us more???

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
          Hi Guys, Let there be a new B&W 800 series. Just received my new 800D !!!. Don't really care about anything else they may come out with. very happy with my current system.
          Here is a quote from B&W "we are not changing the 800 series"

Originally posted by Eliav
          My advice to you, enjoy what you have and worked hard for !! Cheers
          :T:T
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• audiofiel10
            • Nov 2009

Anyone with anything new on the 800 series???

I am really really curious how much different they'll look....

come on guys, there must be someone here who knows something...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

If we keep this thread alive long enough, it will become relevant. :roll:
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I think that the design of the new 801 is a paradigm shift - elegant in its Teutonic simplicity - and worth every cent of its 40% price increase.

Nigel.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

If all this is true can anyone tell me if the 8xx's series is going to be revamped or changed or is it just the 8xx'D series as I was just at my dealer and am about to give a down payment on some 804's with a payment plan.Thanks.
                  Also he has been A B&W dealer for many years and has not heard anything on any of this.

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

If you like the 804S just stick with it...
                    -Joe

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Opus007
                      If all this is true can anyone tell me if the 8xx's series is going to be revamped or changed or is it just the 8xx'D series as I was just at my dealer and am about to give a down payment on some 804's with a payment plan.Thanks.
                      Also he has been A B&W dealer for many years and has not heard anything on any of this.
                      My dealer hadn't heard anything either, but managed to get a confirmation out of the sales representative I believe.

In anycase, theres new speakers coming out everyday that are both better and more expensive than the 804s. That does not change them however, so I think you should just go ahead and get the speakers you want. There will definately be another 800 series sometimes in the future, and another after that one.
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by bigburner
                        I think that the design of the new 801 is a paradigm shift - elegant in its Teutonic simplicity - and worth every cent of its 40% price increase.

Nigel.
                        My wife wants it!

Hmm maybe not, but if that look wasnt reason enough to ditch the current 800 series I dont know what is )
                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

Hi,

the new B&W serie 800 is no the way. next year...second part of the 2010 will be available... ( can possible in USA before..)

The Diomond, clevar,and all what
                          havemade the B&W The speaker don'to changed...is the top availabel today :T

All the speakers will have the Diamond as tweeter!!! from the 805 to the top of the line...
                          -> a 805D is a reality :P (but the price go up, in the % from???)

At first the B&W go reamke a restyling but not a "steel" box like signature 40th., Wood is and go be the future. Team that wins is not changed.... :T

Today or tomorrow a pair of 802D is still a bargain! / good investiment!
                          the technology is already at the top and although it's somewhat changed the design of the 802D is a great deal.. (I don't know if pay 2-3tausend $$$ more for a new "design" maybe not so nice like today is good choice an you to decide)

Well the B&W have your

B&W has put its cards on the table, now depends on us ..!
                          Setup at all in "S" can be The right investing :E ... new, ebay or Audiogon ...

greetings Style

Comment

• boarder1995
                            • Sep 2009

I'm curious to see if the 802/1/0 aesthetics are going to change much, if at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing this either. D tweeters all around - WooHoo! Except, I'm new to B&W and am contemplating a "S" tweeter line 5.0 system purchase here soon. One nice thing is with the continuous price increases of each line every few years, the old models don't drop in price much - even used prices - so re-sale on used models should I/we upgrade to the newer units won't take a huge hit like with other speaker brands.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hi boarder1995,

the new 802 or well the all new serie well be not "in steel like wrote" the new design is onlya restiling no a complety revolution!
                              therevolution will be the we go have a 805 with the Diamond tweeter...but the price is ???

the S serie like the cm9,cm7... is sure a great speakers...is a personal taste..
                              (I like the CM9 ops: ) and a cm9, cm7 as rear is place or with my 805 will be accepeted :B

but is dont will go buy a 804S, htm3s expemple! i preferthe CM9 and Cmc2...and I save my money too!

Style

Comment

• Antus
                                • Apr 2008

my dealer told me the "new" series will have laquar finish. much like the Siganature 40 and the discountinued Siganature 800 series.

He beleive the "S" will go away and will be diamand across the range. as for price, he think the biggest price change will be 805 and 804. which may be doubled in price. however, on the higher end, maybe "only" 20% increase. (something like $16000 for 802D or so)

by looking at the new CT 800 series, my guess that the new model maybe able to order with 2 way active crossover vision. That would be a huge boost in sound quality and to justify the price hike.

Comment

• emig5m
                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Antus
                                  He beleive the "S" will go away and will be diamand across the range. as for price, he think the biggest price change will be 805 and 804. which may be doubled in price.
                                  In my opinion double the price could make the 804 a un-popular model and dramatically lower sales in comparison to how popular it is now. Look at how many people that has recently bought or in the process of ordering the 804S. How many of us recent purchasers would of even gave the 804 a look if it was double the price it is now? And if any of us had that kind of money, we would probably be going for a larger and higher up model anyway... Now if they could make it only 20% more with the diamond they might have something going. Heck they might even get me to upgrade to the diamonds.

Comment

• boarder1995
                                    • Sep 2009

So rumor has it that we'll see gloss finish options? Might look good. I agree with the 804S to D price hike issue. If you can spend double current price on an 804D (~$9000/pr), it's not much more to go up to the BIG models. However, perhaps they're trying to separate the CM line a bit more and make that the attractive higher end affordable model. If it's substantially more profitable per unit due to a much simplier cabintet, they may position the 800 series for only those that really don't have to be discrete on spending, but more use it for a flagship marketing device, then use the "trickle down" terminology to sell the CM line more. Many manufacturers use their HIGHEST end models not so much for profit, but as marketing to show their capabilities and get recognition, then indicate the lower end units have this and that from their flagship. Hope this isn't the exact situation, but it's very common.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                      • Mar 2005

I just got info that the 804D is going to be about $7-8k. The new 802D is going to be about $15k. No HTM1D or HTM3S. Only the HTM2D and a HTM4D will be the horizontal center channel lineup.

Comment

• Hammie
                                        • Oct 2005

I could have got the 803D for $8K when I bought my 804S's. That puts things in perspective for me.
                                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                        Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                        Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                        Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                        B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                        Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                        My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                        Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Antus
                                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                                          I just got info that the 804D is going to be about $7-8k. The new 802D is going to be about $15k. No HTM1D or HTM3S. Only the HTM2D and a HTM4D will be the horizontal center channel lineup.
                                          this is pretty much inline to what i was told.
                                          the new model lineup will look something like this,
                                          800D, close to $30K
                                          801D, around $24K
                                          802D, around $16K
                                          803D, $10K
                                          804D, $7-8K
                                          805D, $5K

expensive? of course. however, when you comparing to other menufactures like Dynoaudio, Wilson Audio, Elac, or even Monitor Audio. the asking price of B&W is fairly reasonable.

the diamand of course is a big selling point, however, i'd think B&W will also update some componants to make the price increase easier to swallow. for example, better capacitor (using M-Cap silver/gold) better finish (like tiger eye gloss finish and piano black) in a long shot, a 2 way external active crossover like the CT800 range.

in this case, B&W will open up a big hole in the speaker lineup, the range between 2K and 5K, which is also the cash cow price range. I'd like to see what B&W will come up with in that price range.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                            • Dec 2007

in this case, B&W will open up a big hole in the speaker lineup, the range between 2K and 5K, which is also the cash cow price range. I'd like to see what B&W will come up with in that price range.
                                            I see the writing on the wall for the 700 series to return using the 804S/805S.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

I think it is a bad decision to do away with the htm1d. I wonder if it didn't sell well.
                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                                A B&W dealer in Florida told me last year that he was informed by a friend of his at B&W headquarters, that the 800 Series was going to be revamped. He said they were going to be made in aluminum like the XT Series and the Signature Series.
                                                If that's the case, I'm certainly not going to be crying a river that I bought my 802Ds and 805Ss this year. I love the cherry wood finish matched with the Marlan head in the 802Ds and overall love the "wood look". I'm not sure I'd be inclined to pay that kind of money for aluminium enclosure speakers, even if they sounded great.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                  I think it is a bad decision to do away with the htm1d. I wonder if it didn't sell well.
                                                  I agree. I am glad I bought mine this summer to replace my HTM2D. It is unquestionably a much better match for 802Ds and above in the 800 series according to my ears.

I think you are probably right and it did not sell very well.

Jim

Comment

• d52232dole
                                                    • May 2009

So, any idea about the "look" or new design of 8 series like 800D or 802D?

I have a pair of 802D now for about 1/2 year, but I got an offer from local dealer for an upgrade to 800D at 15% discount from the listed price (800D listed at $16k/pair), and can't make up my mind now after reading this post.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                      • Jul 2008

this is pretty much inline to what i was told.
                                                      the new model lineup will look something like this,
                                                      800D, close to $30K
                                                      801D, around $24K
                                                      802D, around $16K
                                                      803D, $10K
                                                      804D, $7-8K
                                                      805D, $5K

expensive? of course. however, when you comparing to other menufactures like Dynoaudio, Wilson Audio, Elac, or even Monitor Audio. the asking price of B&W is fairly reasonable.

the diamand of course is a big selling point, however, i'd think B&W will also update some componants to make the price increase easier to swallow. for example, better capacitor (using M-Cap silver/gold) better finish (like tiger eye gloss finish and piano black) in a long shot, a 2 way external active crossover like the CT800 range.

This is more or less what I heard from my dealer (who has high-placed contacts in B&W) about 3 weeks ago. There will definitely be more exotic finishes and correspondingly higher prices. He did not mention anything about any changes to the electronics or to the style. I would think that some minor upgrades would be likely, however.

Jim

Comment

• boarder1995
                                                        • Sep 2009

Man, if there'd be gloss finishes (black) available, I'd consider the black CM's for the interim and upgrade the fronts in 2010 to something uber-nice and glossy, rather than go 803s right now and commit to a wood finish of sorts.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                          • Dec 2007

I love the warmth wood adds in home use. But I have seen a few setups on here that the XT finnish looks very nice in. Personaly I would hope for that price you can choose between the two. The veneer used on the 800's is one of the best I've seen.

Comment

• Hammie
                                                            • Oct 2005

I was told today by my dealer that the 801D, HTM1D, 803S, 804S, and 805S are going to be retired in the 2010 line. The 800D, 802D, and 803D will increase by $1K USD. The 804D and 805D will increase by $2K USD. They are also getting crossover overhauls to better caps. Exteriors will not change. No Composites. No other finishes, just the Cherry, Rosenut, and Black Ash. They will be announced in late January at CES.

He also told me that the Danish factory has been taken apart and relocated to England. The reason was because Danish law doesn't allow more than 2 shifts per day. In order to meet production, they need 3 shifts. This will ONLY be for the 800 Series. All other lines will be assembled in China under the strict B&W guidelines.
                                                            Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by louhamilton
                                                              They will be announced in late January at CES.
                                                              Thanks for the update but note that CES is in early January. First week, in fact.
                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                              _______________________________
                                                              "Music in the Round"
                                                              Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                              http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Hammie
                                                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                                Thanks for the update but note that CES is in early January. First week, in fact.
                                                                Thanks. He did say early Jan (I think Jan. 7 is the date he said).

I'm still glad I got the 804S's when I did.

It will make it harder to swing the trade-up cost now though.
                                                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                  • Aug 2008

I wonder if the 804S could be upgraded to the 804D easily (just swap parts - tweeter/crossover).

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2008

If the exteriors will remain the same, then I would definitely be interested in a pair of 805Ds, either as an upgrade to replace my current 805Ss in the rear, or to expand to a 7.1 set-up and use the 805Ds as the side speakers and keep the 805Ss in the rear. But for me to do that I would have to buy a house with a bigger living room first! :B

Comment

• Hammie
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                                      If the exteriors will remain the same, then I would definitely be interested in a pair of 805Ds, either as an upgrade to replace my current 805Ss in the rear, or to expand to a 7.1 set-up and use the 805Ds as the side speakers and keep the 805Ss in the rear. But for me to do that I would have to buy a house with a bigger living room first! :B
                                                                      But I love your setup just the way it is. :drool:
                                                                      Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2008

But I love your setup just the way it is. :drool:
                                                                        Thanks, much appreciated! :P

I do wonder how diamond tweeters in the rear would sound, though having said that, I really couldn't be more happy with my set-up at the moment!

Comment

• Hammie
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                                          Thanks, much appreciated! :P

I do wonder how diamond tweeters in the rear would sound, though having said that, I really couldn't be more happy with my set-up at the moment!
                                                                          To others who may not have seen KyaDawn's setup, here it is.

Have you made any changes to it since these pictures were taken?
                                                                          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2008
                                                                            • 268

To others who may not have seen KyaDawn's setup, here it is.

Have you made any changes to it since these pictures were taken?
                                                                            I did buy a furry rug to cover the floor space between the speakers and the ottoman since I took the photos. But overall I didn't hear any noticeable difference and I wasn't that keen on how the rug looked, so the rug has since been put into storage! :B

So overall, my system is the same as before, though it has only been around 7 months since those photos were taken! Thanks again for your compliments and support, really appreciated! :T

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

Hi,

I love B&W and is a personal taste. another person can say noo, I like SonusFaber, focal,...a lot more as the B&W sound!!!

if you don't like the B&W sound is stupid say/ write over this point. :T

well, I had 703,htm7,705 - 803S,htm4s,cdn7nt-> this last is very great (I stupid i have sold this great speaker) - at today 803D, htm2D, 805s.
                                                                              and is great!!!! :W
                                                                              now, or a 802d and the 803d as rear (but the actually 802 or the new coming 802d are not a 800d but is a "big" speaker - or buy a new 805D.

I go see.

the new serie is sure more expensive but not 40% more as today! in europa b&w is sure more expensive vs.the USA at today (802d is CHF19200/switzerland)and if you go change 19200.- chf. to usa. $$ is a lot more money... -> in europa this price up can be not so "big" like in usa?!?

in every case a B&W have a technology at the TOP: he go sure make a restyling but not a fully replace with steel or others!!
                                                                              a little more for eyes but inside they don' go chenge a winner player. and this is not my opinion but too from Classe Switzerland "worker".

Style

Comment

• style
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 1562

emig5m
                                                                                I wonder if the 804S could be upgraded to the 804D easily (just swap parts - tweeter/crossover).
                                                                                Hi emig5m,

yes the 804S or other S models are very good. is sure. if you like the tweeter
                                                                                S alu - you have a great speaker. and I think you have the hm3s too!! go with a rear like 805s or other S models. perferct macht, grfor ohteat sound, top system.

for other members with the D(evil inside) ops: and like my with a smodel as rear the new 805D or higher is a big temptetion!

I don't have interess to a 7.1 system. for me a 5.1 is top, with the new HD decoding....I like andI stay with a 5.1....This is my PERSONaL TASTE!
                                                                                others members dream a a 7.1 / 9.2!! system: is what I need, what i really want have?? in not a standart like the color of a car! today 8 can to 10 ar black...and the white come up but if you like a yellow car is your taste.
                                                                                in the forum we go read " i have a 9.2, a 7.1 and is the better solution!!
                                                                                the better solution for "him" - the better dont exist!

if I can have a actually 802D with a great price I say "buyed!" the new 802d
                                                                                have a styling with a wood in a special finish, a spiece of steel around the woofer?, I don't know but is always a 802D 8O :W

Style
                                                                                I have the touch - Peter Grabriel :T

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2008
                                                                                  • 212

IS IT REAL?????

Comment

• Hammie
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 304

Originally posted by planitismetal
                                                                                    I forgot to ask about it when I talked to my dealer the other day. I'm hoping my store gets one so I can hear it.
                                                                                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 1098

Yup, it's real.

B&W needed to do something to counteract losing subwoofer sales to Velodyne DD's & JL Audio Fathom's.

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2008
                                                                                        • 212

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                                                                        Yup, it's real.

B&W needed to do something to counteract losing subwoofer sales to Velodyne DD's & JL Audio Fathom's.

I meant if it is really in this store

Thread on fire :rofl:

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2006
                                                                                          • 2109

Originally posted by planitismetal
                                                                                          Sure. They showed it at CEDIA.
                                                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          _______________________________
                                                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 1537

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                                                                            Yup, it's real.

To badd the square box doesnt really match the 800 series.

Now JL on the other hand.... ;x(
                                                                                            B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"