X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

683 to 804s

Is going from the 683 to the 804S more of a prestige purchase of owning the flagship B&W series with the fine furniture grade look and build quality (which is admittedly a part of the reason I want them). Is the actual sound performance a significant jump or would it basically be the same sound signature that I get from the 683? I'm looking to buy a used pair to get it into the price range I'm willing to pay for them.

I also found a phenomenal deal on a used set of 803D for $5600 out the door in brand new condition, should I jump on that deal? :E
  • Tweir
    • Oct 2006

Where the 683 stops is where the 804 goes. Things to expect, better depth of bass,
    stronger slam in the bass, deeper sound stage, smother top end, and they get louder
    too. I also have found the 683 a darker sounding speaker so when paired with
    lesser electronics that may have a bright sound to them on the 683 the sound
    would be nice. With the 804s not very forgiving with electronics, match these
    up very closely to sound you are looking for, warm=mcintosh, classe, rotel
    solid state, tube gear, bright=krell, yamaha, onkyo.

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

emig5m.
      So the upgrade bug has hit.I think the 803D's would be the best upgrade but I would be willing to bet you already know that.Plus ..yes more prestige. ;x(

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tweir
        Where the 683 stops is where the 804 goes. Things to expect, better depth of bass,
        stronger slam in the bass, deeper sound stage, smother top end, and they get louder
        too. I also have found the 683 a darker sounding speaker so when paired with
        lesser electronics that may have a bright sound to them on the 683 the sound
        would be nice. With the 804s not very forgiving with electronics, match these
        up very closely to sound you are looking for, warm=mcintosh, classe, rotel
        solid state, tube gear, bright=krell, yamaha, onkyo.
        Thanks for the input. Funny that you mention the 804 to have more bass slam because I remember reading on here that the 683 had more slam but the 804 was more accurate? I'm currently using a Yamaha 663 which although is a lower end unit it was a major upgrade in fidelity over my two previous Sony's. The Sony's made me stop listening to two channel music all together and where only used for movie playback they where that awful sounding (coming off of Carver stereo separates). Now I'm running the Yamaha into a Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Funny how a $1000 Sony has nothing on a $400 Yamaha....

I do have my sights set on the Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro when if ever it gets released. I'm not willing to pay anymore for electronics than Emotiva level so definitely no Classe/Krell level stuff. Will the 683 to 804S still be an improvement? Yamaha may be bright, but I think I like this sound. Emotiva I think is made to be more neutral as adding the poweramp didn't really change the sound signature of the Yamaha at all. Just more weighted bass and more clarity at high volume.

My current hi fidelity benchmark as crazy as it might seem is just some ho-hum headphones (But are known to be bright from reviews)... you can just hear so much fine detail so easily and far cheaper than a loudspeaker system. No seating/speaker placement problems. No acoustical problems or room modes. You just put them on your head and you're in fine detail bliss with no setup involved, heh. This fine detail is what I like to try to create from loudspeakers. Would you be able to hear more fine detail clearer with the 804S? So if I like the brighter sound of the Yamaha with the 683 this might change with the 804S?

Originally posted by Opus007
        emig5m.
        So the upgrade bug has hit.I think the 803D's would be the best upgrade but I would be willing to bet you already know that.Plus ..yes more prestige. ;x(
        Yea... the upgrade bug has hit. Hitting pretty hard too with the deals I can get going used. Got the flagship Sunfire Signature EQ sub for half price and it's mint condition with original box and everything. So tempting to get the 803D for the price offered. There's actually a couple pairs for sale in my area in the color I want. If it was a life or death situation I could go get them today and pay cash. It's just around the $3000 mark is about where my personal limit is of what I'm willing to spend on a speaker that even though I might want real bad I still have a hard time letting that amount of cash go for speakers, heh. I'm sure Opus would love to hear me compare 683 with 804S back-to-back. hehe. :T

But this little voice in my head wont stop whispering.... 803D... 803D... 803D... 803D... :heh:

Comment

• Tweir
          • Oct 2006

Funny that you mention the 804 to have more bass slam because I remember reading on here that the 683 had more slam but the 804 was more accurate?

Check the source on that one!! Aluminum with paper kevlar backing a very
          thin vs carbon fiber skins on the front and back with 1/4 roachell foam thicker
          and matrix bracing and foam inside instead of cotton looking stuff inside the
          683.. I will have to say something was wrong with that demo....

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
            Is going from the 683 to the 804S more of a prestige purchase of owning the flagship B&W series with the fine furniture grade look and build quality (which is admittedly a part of the reason I want them). Is the actual sound performance a significant jump or would it basically be the same sound signature that I get from the 683? I'm looking to buy a used pair to get it into the price range I'm willing to pay for them.

I also found a phenomenal deal on a used set of 803D for $5600 out the door in brand new condition, should I jump on that deal? :E
            You really need to listen to both speakers if you are asking that question. Then make the decision yourself if the 800 series are actually any better or if it is all just some sort of hype.

Remember that results will vary greatly depending on the source used. If you do decide on 800 series the deal on the new 803D's sounds like a no loss situation. Use them for a year and sell for a profit if you do not like.

Comment

• Tweir
              • Oct 2006

Here are a couple of pictures for you.....
              Attached Files

Comment

• Tweir
                • Oct 2006

Pictures of the drivers, where is the slam going to be.......
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I would say if you can swing it, that's a great deal on those 803's.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

I went from 601/600 to 805. I think the biggest difference for me was that the soundstage changes from 2D to 3D with the 800 series. Other things that improved were clarity and the highs are so much smoother. But soundstage was the biggest difference. You can definitely hear it during movies too. However, one thing to question... what components do you have? You will not hear all the difference if you don't have the right components now. I listened to my 805 on a receiver at first. Compared to the 601s, there was a difference, but not that much of a difference. The 800 series need power, and quality components.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by audioqueso
                      I went from 601/600 to 805. I think the biggest difference for me was that the soundstage changes from 2D to 3D with the 800 series. Other things that improved were clarity and the highs are so much smoother. But soundstage was the biggest difference. You can definitely hear it during movies too. However, one thing to question... what components do you have? You will not hear all the difference if you don't have the right components now. I listened to my 805 on a receiver at first. Compared to the 601s, there was a difference, but not that much of a difference. The 800 series need power, and quality components.
                      Right now- Yamaha RX-663 feeding a Emotiva XPA-5. I'll most likely be replacing the Yamaha with the Emotiva XMC-1 if it ever comes out. I'm not willing to spend anymore money than Emotiva level components regardless if I can afford it or not (but they do seem to get rave reviews). I also have the flagship Sunfire Signature EQ sub so regardless what speaker I use I'm sure to have plenty of teeth rattling bass, heh.

I would love to get the 803D at that price and could probably recoup the money if I didn't like it or needed the money back (in case of any unforeseen event such as job loss) but even with the cash in hand and as good as the deal sounds considering what the retail price is, I can't seem to convince myself that any speaker at any performance level is worth $5600 for a pair. The max I'm willing to spend is $2800/$3000 on a mint pair of used 804S. I wish the 803D's where closer than a 2 hour one way trip... I'd like to hear them just to see... you never know, heh.

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

What is your source?
                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

What is your source?
                          You mean playback material? Mostly CD audio and Blu-Ray.

Comment

• Opus007
                            • Nov 2007

You should of never let the bug hit.If it saves you some money and headaches go with the 804s .It is still a vast improvement over the 683's.But do not audition the 803d's as then you will be second guessing yourself every time you hit the on button. I understand what you are saying about not want to pay xxx amount of dollars on your electronics.I see some others over at Emotiva using their amps for the 800 series speakers.And they say they are very impressed.I think the XPA-1 is a long ways off.I have considered a xpa-2 for my mains but just can not bring myself to try one.Maybe because if I did and liked it it would open another door and I would be selling and buying again.Plus I can not for the life of me see how Emotiva amps could best a Rotel.But I am wrong quite often as of late.Whatever road you choose I am sure it will be the right one and you will be happy.Good Luck.

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Opus007
                              You should of never let the bug hit.If it saves you some money and headaches go with the 804s .It is still a vast improvement over the 683's.But do not audition the 803d's as then you will be second guessing yourself every time you hit the on button. I understand what you are saying about not want to pay xxx amount of dollars on your electronics.I see some others over at Emotiva using their amps for the 800 series speakers.And they say they are very impressed.I think the XPA-1 is a long ways off.I have considered a xpa-2 for my mains but just can not bring myself to try one.Maybe because if I did and liked it it would open another door and I would be selling and buying again.Plus I can not for the life of me see how Emotiva amps could best a Rotel.But I am wrong quite often as of late.Whatever road you choose I am sure it will be the right one and you will be happy.Good Luck.
                              Well since you already have Rotel I definitely wouldn't bother with Emotiva. But if you had a receiver and needed an amp I would then consider the Emotiva over Rotel based on the price/performance ratio and the good reviews they get from users.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I have tried many Emotiva amps and also listened to many Rotel amps and I don't see any reason to spend more on Rotel. The Emotiva stuff is top quality. The SQ from them is extremely good. I've owned the RPA-2 and XPA-3. Both are amazing amps but the RPA-2 was stellar sounding. My friend has an XPA-2 and it's an awesome amp as well. I haven't heard a Rotel beat an Emotiva although some of them are about equal. Now the XPA-1's I would have a hard time believing anything Rotel has would really beat those. They are very special amps and have quite a bit of technology to them. They have some new stuff coming out to replace their class H stuff.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                  • Jan 2008

I would jump on the 803d. For me the 804 are not really better than the 805, so I did not see a reason to get the 804. The 803d, however, is a totally different class. At $5600 it is a no brainer. Before I caught upgraditis I could not understand why anyone would spend $1000 on a pair of speakers. Now I think the 803d is a steal even at full msrp.
                                  I am glad to report that the 803d has cured my upgraditis.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                    • Jun 2006

Wow. That is a good answer. Very well said.

As far as $5000 being to much, it all depends. I never though that I would spend that kind of money until I bought a pair of N801's. It was all downhill after that. Your opinion may change in the future.

Comment

• BWLover
                                      • Jan 2009

i have the 683's at home and herd the 804S's at my dealer. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! mind you the 804S's were mono'd with classe cam400's and classe CD/PRE and you can see what i got below
                                      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                      Playstation 3
                                      Shaw HD PVR
                                      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• emig5m
                                        • Aug 2008

Thanks guys for all the input today, I really appreciate it.

Well I have a deal pending on a pair of 804S's luckily in the color I want. $3000 + my Velodyne MiniVee and he'll deliver the speakers to me (4 hours one way, yikes.) Does that sound like a good deal for a used set of 804S's that are fairly new (bought brand new this year) and the seller offering to drive 8 hours two ways to deliver them to me? I'm trying to haggle the price of the 804S down to $2800 and I'll meet him halfway - that's what I feel comfortable paying for used 804S's sound unheard. He originally didn't want to go lower than $3200 until I offered to throw in the Velodyne. What do you guys think? Good price for used?

I like the deal on the 803D and that deal is the only thing that interests me considering new retail with tax and the average 10% discount would put them at around $9600 out the door, but I'm honestly not up for dropping nearly 6 grand for speakers yet, maybe next time, lol. :rofl: If I can get the guy to sell the 803D for an even $5000 I'll take the plunge and go the distance, lol... Hey a pair sold for $4600 not too long ago so it's possible.

Anyone interested in a mint pair of 683's 11 months old? hehe..

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

If the seller of the 803D speakers is prepared to drive to New Zealand then I'd be happy to pay $5600 without haggling.

The seller will need a car like this because New Zealand is thousands of miles away across the Pacific Ocean!

Nigel.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• ray5
                                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
                                            Thanks guys for all the input today, I really appreciate it.

Well I have a deal pending on a pair of 804S's luckily in the color I want. $3000 + my Velodyne MiniVee and he'll deliver the speakers to me (4 hours one way, yikes.) Does that sound like a good deal for a used set of 804S's that are fairly new (bought brand new this year) and the seller offering to drive 8 hours two ways to deliver them to me? I'm trying to haggle the price of the 804S down to $2800 and I'll meet him halfway - that's what I feel comfortable paying for used 804S's sound unheard. He originally didn't want to go lower than $3200 until I offered to throw in the Velodyne. What do you guys think? Good price for used?

I like the deal on the 803D and that deal is the only thing that interests me considering new retail with tax and the average 10% discount would put them at around $9600 out the door, but I'm honestly not up for dropping nearly 6 grand for speakers yet, maybe next time, lol. :rofl: If I can get the guy to sell the 803D for an even $5000 I'll take the plunge and go the distance, lol... Hey a pair sold for $4600 not too long ago so it's possible.

Anyone interested in a mint pair of 683's 11 months old? hehe..
                                            It's good to see you've drawn a line. I started looking for speakers with the 683. As I listened and found out more about speakers I kept changing my mind. Each time I went to audition one line I drooled and jumped to the next. The dealer kept in pace and guess what I ended up buying? 802D and HTM2D!!! I spent about 3 times what I had intended to. These things can get tricky and out of hand unless you draw a line like you have. The only reason I think I did not commit more stupidity and go higher was 802D is known to be the best quality in that price category. I am of course extremely happy but my bank account isn't!!
                                            Ray

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                              • Jun 2006

Congrats on the spekaers. If the deal was right for you then it is a good deal, especially with delivery.

I still like the Nautilus line for an exceptional value. N802's can be had for $4,500, N803's for $3000 and N804's for $2000 and you can haggle from there.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                I haven't heard a Rotel beat an Emotiva although some of them are about equal .
                                                Dougie'
                                                Are you saying that you have not heard a Rotel that beat a Emotivia or the other way around.I find it hard to believe.Not trying to hijack this thread am just confused by your statement.

Comment

• Tweir
                                                  • Oct 2006

Used 804S I would say anywhere around 2800 to 3200 is a fair price. Full retail for
                                                  the pair is 4500.00

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Why would it be hard to believe? Because you can't believe that something that costs less then a Rotel amp could possibly rival it? Rotel still works on old principals which they rely on marketing as well as several steps between manufacturing and actually sale of their products. Emotiva doesn't have any of that they go straight from factory to the customers hands. That is the reason they sell for less and can still offer the performance. I've never found Rotel to be very impressive. They have some amps that sound good sure but the cost is a little crazy when I can get just as good or sometimes better for less money. Like I said I'd like to see something that Rotel makes that would beat the XPA-1's. I guess until you experience Emotiva products your self you never really believe it. I've owned several of their products and plan on purchasing more and they are all top notch at the very least equal in build quality to any Rotel and I believe surpasses Rotel on the SQ front in many instances. Just look for the reviews out there or better yet order some and try them for 30 days. Don't have anything to lose. But anyone that has not heard an Emotiva product has no place to say that they just have a hard time believing they sound as good or better.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                      Why would it be hard to believe? Because you can't believe that something that costs less then a Rotel amp could possibly rival it? Rotel still works on old principals which they rely on marketing as well as several steps between manufacturing and actually sale of their products. Emotiva doesn't have any of that they go straight from factory to the customers hands. That is the reason they sell for less and can still offer the performance. I've never found Rotel to be very impressive. They have some amps that sound good sure but the cost is a little crazy when I can get just as good or sometimes better for less money. Like I said I'd like to see something that Rotel makes that would beat the XPA-1's. I guess until you experience Emotiva products your self you never really believe it. I've owned several of their products and plan on purchasing more and they are all top notch at the very least equal in build quality to any Rotel and I believe surpasses Rotel on the SQ front in many instances. Just look for the reviews out there or better yet order some and try them for 30 days. Don't have anything to lose. But anyone that has not heard an Emotiva product has no place to say that they just have a hard time believing they sound as good or better.
                                                      Well I do have a hard time believing... but I am not set in my ways and always have a open mind.I have read many reviews and am a forum member over there.Well more of a lurker because I have posted little over there.My next upgrade is a 2 channel amp and the xpa-2 interests me a lot.When I get ready to pull the trigger I will be giving it a try as I am curious.And as you said I can always send it back before the 30 days are up.I am currently waiting on them to have another sale on the xpa-2...so until then I will just be wondering if it is that good.Only my opinion.Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

No problem and sorry if I sounded a bit stern. I've just had a lot of people give me the attitude that it can't possibly be that good. I've heard the XPA-2 as my friend has it and it's a solid amp. I had an RPA-2 for a while and it was a great amp I really liked the Class-H amp. My next amps are probably going to be for 2 channel only purposes and will more then likely be the XPA-1's. Although they are coming out with some new amps that are supposed to be their new Ref amps that are replacing the RPA's. They have mentioned possibly being switchable between high power A/B and low power pure Class A. If they come out with these I may give them a try.

Like I said the reason they are so cheap is because they have little overhang compared to a company like Rotel. They don't pay for much advertising and there aren't middle men between the factory and them. What's even more awesome is you can call up the company at any time and talk to the owner or even the person that designs all the amps and other electronics. They are all extremely nice and I've never seen any company handle warranties like they do.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                          • Jan 2009

the 804S's retail for $5000 in Canada, i think $3000 is a fair price if there not very old. If i had the actual money I'd buy them. I wouldn't put them on any form of credit though.
                                                          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                          Playstation 3
                                                          Shaw HD PVR
                                                          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• BassThatHz
                                                            • Jul 2006

Over time I had evaluated the: DM604 S3, CM6, CDM 9NT, 703 and 804S.

IMO each one was an improvement over the previous design.

A year ago I ended up "blindly" buying three N803's for $4000 with shipping included and to this day, I haven't regretted that decision.

I think that with sufficient meditation I can also slow-down the rate of voices inside my head that tell me to do funny things... like upgrade to even higher for example :rofl:

Comment

• emig5m
                                                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                                                              I think that with sufficient meditation I can also slow-down the rate of voices inside my head that tell me to do funny things... like upgrade to even higher for example :rofl:
                                                              LOL!! :rofl:

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                                                                Over time I had evaluated the: DM604 S3, CM6, CDM 9NT, 703 and 804S.
                                                                So you had the 804S? Comments? Liked it/didn't like it?

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"