X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja12
    • Mar 2007

hmmmm.... question

So, I was wondering about something that I hope someone could help me out with. I have 803s, and according to the spec on B&W website, its' sensitivity is 90db which means if it receives 1 watt and stand 1 meter away, which is 3.28 ft if my memory serves me correctly, it will produce 90db. So, I was wondering how many watts would be needed to produce 90db if the distance was 3 meters?

Thanks in advance for responding.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

About 3 to 4 watts, ignoring a whole bunch of things that are important.

Comment

• B_W_Guy
      • Jun 2009

specs are just specs. that 90dB is one frequency, not music. just enjoy your speakers. i would kill for the 803S's

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
        About 3 to 4 watts, ignoring a whole bunch of things that are important.
        lol, nice!
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• ChrisssB
          • Feb 2006

This will help :-)

Comment

• ninja12
            • Mar 2007

WOW!!!!! 3 or 4 watts. That little. Thanks for the responses.

ChrisssB, thanks for the link. I just added that to my favorites.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Use the calculator, 4 watts without corner loading results in 89.5 db at 10 feet.

The problem is that you are not listening to a steady state test tone so need reserve power for dynamics.

Your bass drivers will also use quite a bit of power. Many use SET amps with 1.8 to 4 watts with very high efficiency speakers (100 db plus). The one complaint that I hear is lack of bass response with such low powered amps. I ran an SET amp with Klipsch Belles (100+ efficientcy) and they had pretty good bass, much more than I expected.

For your purpose, make sure that you have 100 good wpc.

Comment

• ninja12
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                Use the calculator, 4 watts without corner loading results in 89.5 db at 10 feet.

The problem is that you are not listening to a steady state test tone so need reserve power for dynamics.

Your bass drivers will also use quite a bit of power. Many use SET amps with 1.8 to 4 watts with very high efficiency speakers (100 db plus). The one complaint that I hear is lack of bass response with such low powered amps. I ran an SET amp with Klipsch Belles (100+ efficientcy) and they had pretty good bass, much more than I expected.

For your purpose, make sure that you have 100 good wpc.
                I used the link to the calculator, and this is what I got. Could you please tell me what this is really telling me?

SPL CALCULATOR
                Speaker Sensitivity: 90 dB SPL (1 W/1 M)
                Amplifier Power: 325 Watts
                Distance: 9 feet
                No. of Speakers: 7 usually 2, more for multi-channel
                Speaker Placement (Choose 1): Chose Away from walls Away from walls (or do not consider placement)
                Near a wall (within 2 to 4 feet)
                In a corner (within 18 to 24 inches)

RESULTS

25.1 dB Gain from amplifier
                -8.8 dB Loss due to dispersion (distance)
                8.5 dB Gain from sonic reinforcement (multi speakers)
                0 db Gain from placement (reinforcement from reflected sound)
                114.8 dB SPL at listening postion

Comment

• ChrisssB
                  • Feb 2006

That with all speakers and at max power, the max (loudest) sound is going to be 114.8 decibels at the listening position.

Notice a few things though:

- is your amplifier capable to give you 325 watts on all 7 channels and at the same time? I doubt it...
                  -are all your 7 speakers the same? or as is most common they are different (ie left & rigt are the same, a different center etc...)
                  -

If you're after to see how loud it's going to be using 2 803s 3 meters from the listening position I'd put to the calculator the following data:
                  90 db, 200 watts (that's the power they can handle), 9 feet and 2 speakers...
                  the result is 107.2 dB SPL at listening postion (that's very loud)

to get approximately 90 dbs at the listening position you'd need about 4 watts....
                  BUT dont take that literally and think you could buy a 10 watt amp and you'd be fine.......many factors apply and there are plenty of reasons B&W give a min figure on what amp one should use (given that the amp can double the watts as the speaker load goes to half)....... its only a tool and you won't listen to test tones.

Comment

• ninja12
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ChrisssB
                    That with all speakers and at max power, the max (loudest) sound is going to be 114.8 decibels at the listening position.

Notice a few things though:

- is your amplifier capable to give you 325 watts on all 7 channels and at the same time? I doubt it...

-are all your 7 speakers the same? or as is most common they are different (ie left & rigt are the same, a different center etc...)
                    -

If you're after to see how loud it's going to be using 2 803s 3 meters from the listening position I'd put to the calculator the following data:
                    90 db, 200 watts (that's the power they can handle), 9 feet and 2 speakers...
                    the result is 107.2 dB SPL at listening postion (that's very loud)

to get approximately 90 dbs at the listening position you'd need about 4 watts....
                    BUT dont take that literally and think you could buy a 10 watt amp and you'd be fine.......many factors apply and there are plenty of reasons B&W give a min figure on what amp one should use (given that the amp can double the watts as the speaker load goes to half)....... its only a tool and you won't listen to test tones.
                    My amp specs are 325 watts into 8 ohms, 500 watts into 4 ohms, and 675 watts into 2 ohms. I am using Anthem P2/P5 combo. The P2 is driving my 803S, and the P5 is driving my center HTM3S, surrounds CCM 817, and my rears SCMS. I think this also answers your second question too.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"