X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

CMs significant upgrade over 600S3s?

I got a very good deal on an Arcam AV9 and P7 for my second HT system which is in a small room. I use the system about half and half music/movies. For really serious listening I have 802Ds etc so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

In any case, I feel that the 600 S3s do not do justice to the Arcam rig. I was wondering what you guys think about an upgrade to the CM series. Would it really be worth the hassle and cost? I know in the end I will have to audition the CMs if I want to go that way but I thought I would see what sort of reactions I got here.

thanks for any thoughts.
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

Originally posted by jack d
    I got a very good deal on an Arcam AV9 and P7 for my second HT system which is in a small room. I use the system about half and half music/movies. For really serious listening I have 802Ds etc so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

In any case, I feel that the 600 S3s do not do justice to the Arcam rig. I was wondering what you guys think about an upgrade to the CM series. Would it really be worth the hassle and cost? I know in the end I will have to audition the CMs if I want to go that way but I thought I would see what sort of reactions I got here.

thanks for any thoughts.
    I certainly think that the CMs represent a substantial upgrade over the 600S3 series. To put this in perspective, I personally don't think the CM line is as good as the 700 series, but it's closer to that than to the 600S3.

The CMs do sound a bit different than other B&W lines in my opinion and of course, you'll have to see if the CM "sound" appeals to you. But they are considerably more refined than the 600 imo.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I'd personally save your money and jump up to the 800 later down the road. I was not really impressed with the CM sound and it did seem like a "different" B&W sound... that is if you like the B&W sound.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
        I'd personally save your money and jump up to the 800 later down the road.
        I agree.
        Though the build quality is a jump from the 600 3 series, when I had a chance of listening to them, it sounded a lot like the 600 Series 3 speakers.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jack d
          • Sep 2006

Thanks for the feedback. Some contradictory views--not surprising. I already popped for the 800 series on my main system. Not sure I can justify that level for this system since it is my second one in a small room and lightly used. Kind of a difficult decision becuase of those facts.
          Last edited by jack d; 26 March 2009, 09:42 Thursday.

Comment

• wgriel
            • May 2006

Thanks for the feedback. Some contradictory views--not surprising.
            Heh, I think the one thing that we all agree on is that the CM series is something of a departure from the "B&W sound". There are several people on this forum who feel the CM series is a big step beyond the 700 and gets close to the 800 series (I'm not one of them).

But I do think you ought to audition some speakers in the CM lineup to see how you feel about them. They are definitely a step up on the 600 S3 series, although, they do demand better amplification as well.

Comment

• jack d
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
              Heh, I think the one thing that we all agree on is that the CM series is something of a departure from the "B&W sound". There are several people on this forum who feel the CM series is a big step beyond the 700 and gets close to the 800 series (I'm not one of them).

But I do think you ought to audition some speakers in the CM lineup to see how you feel about them. They are definitely a step up on the 600 S3 series, although, they do demand better amplification as well.
              Yeah. I know. I have to audition but I hate it!

1. I won't be able to listen to the BWs with Arcam since my local dealer doesn't carry Arcam.

2. I find it very hard to get comfortable in audition sessions and, to me, the way you feel affects the way you listen and hear.

3. We all know that speakers don't sound the same in your own room as they do in the store.

4. OK MAYBE I could get the dealer to let me take a few speakers home for audition (after all, I spent a boatload there on my 800 series BWs) but that's a hassle too.

Conclusion: I have to audition but I hate it!

Comment

• wgriel
                • May 2006

I understand!

I really do think the CMs are a pretty good step beyond the 600 S3 series, but the real issue is how they'd perform with your amplification. And I'm afraid there's only one way to find out

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

Yeah. I know. I have to audition but I hate it!

1. I won't be able to listen to the BWs with Arcam since my local dealer doesn't carry Arcam.

2. I find it very hard to get comfortable in audition sessions and, to me, the way you feel affects the way you listen and hear.

3. We all know that speakers don't sound the same in your own room as they do in the store.

4. OK MAYBE I could get the dealer to let me take a few speakers home for audition (after all, I spent a boatload there on my 800 series BWs) but that's a hassle too.

I 100% agree. In home demo all the way!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"