X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

B&W 600 S3 Speaker Rewire

So I went ahead and rewired my B&W 600 S3 the same way as PewterTA did his 604 S3.

I did everything exactly the same as PewterTA. except that I used Canare 4S11 cable. To be honest, after removing the B&W internal cables and comparing it, it looks almost exactly as Canare cable. Same gauge, same number of strands, same cable jacket. So it may not be the same exact one, but it's pretty close.

Any difference? Yes, but varies. Perhaps PewterTA used a better pre/pro or perhaps the 604's benefit more from the modifications.

I played quite a few CDs comparing the modified 600 vs the unmodified 600.
    Bass: I didn't hear any difference at all with any song.
    Mids: With some songs, the modified 600 sounded more natural. The biggest difference in the mids is that it sounded less like the music is coming back a speaker box, and sounded more transparent.
    Highs: This part was interesting. I didn't hear much difference with high notes when an instrument was playing. But when it was vocals with those high notes, it sounded so much more natural. Overall, highs sound smooth and natural, but the difference was more apparent with vocals.

About 90% of the difference between the sound is almost personal preference. So it almost seems like rewiring/resoldering isn't worth it. But the 10% that made the highs more natural, more transparent, and sound more like it's not a box... is worth it!
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Your observations mirror my experience V closely during the blind test I had between Dan's OEM & modified speakers.

The differences were subtle, but at the same time, easily discernable for me. I much preferred the modified speakers.

Obviously, the quality of the playback system will have an effect on the ability to distinguish the change in the character of sound.

As always, JMHO, YMMV
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

As always... what???? Sorry, I don't know these acrynyms. ha ha
      PewterTA mentioned that he felt the difference was night and day difference. He also mentioned that he used 12g cable with thicker strands, and less number of strands. Perhaps it did make that much of a difference using that particular wire. Don't know. Or like I mentioned, it could be different equipment or that the 604 benefit from the change more than the 600. Either way, not a bad project at all. I'm glad I did it.

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
        Sorry for the code-speak.

JMHO = Just My Humble Opinion

YMMV = Your Milage May Varry

Gald you are happy with the results. :T
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

PewterTA mentioned that he felt the difference was night and day difference...
          Here is what he actually experienced. Belief is the most powerful force in the universe. If you believe something it is true to you. True doesn't have to equal fact.

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

The internet is a wonderful thing in that it allows one to so easily search out supporting evidence for just about any idea or theory.

The difference here, if you read through the entire post by PewterTA, is the fact that anybody (including people who were not involved in any way with the project, and had nothing to gain or loose as a result of their observations) who heard the modified and OEM speakers in a number of different locations was able to discern a difference, and the fact he and others have actually taken the time and effort to do the modifications and listen to them, as a means of coming to our conclusions. Still, admittedly, no actual frequency response data has yet been taken.

If you doubt the evidence presented here, then may I respectfully suggest you try it for yourself, rather than simply purport we have fallen folly to our expectations.

Again, with all due respect to all,

Bill
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• KyaDawn
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by wkhanna
              The internet is a wonderful thing in that it allows one to so easily search out supporting evidence for just about any idea or theory.

The difference here, if you read through the entire post by PewterTA, is the fact that anybody who heard the modified and OEM speakers in a number of different locations was able to discern a difference, and the fact he and others have actually taken the time and effort to do the modifications and listen to them, as a means of coming to our conclusions. Still, admittedly, no actual frequency response data has yet been taken.

If you doubt the evidence presented here, then may I respectfully suggest you try it for yourself, rather than simply purport we have fallen folly to our expectations.

Again, with all due respect to all,

Bill
              Well said! :T

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by William
                Here is what he actually experienced. Belief is the most powerful force in the universe. If you believe something it is true to you. True doesn't have to equal fact.
                Though you may be right, don't say that. One person doesn't know how another person hears, sees, feels, or whatever. It's all perspectives. So please don't point your finger at others, like some people do, trying to put a concrete answer on one's opinion. Don't take it the wrong way, but it's just unnecessary and ugly.

Comment

• William
                  • Aug 2006

Though you may be right, don't say that. One person doesn't know how another person hears, sees, feels, or whatever. It's all perspectives. So please don't point your finger at others, like some people do, trying to put a concrete answer on one's opinion. Don't take it the wrong way, but it's just unnecessary and ugly.
                  Notice your key words "...one's opinion...". As I said if you believe in it then it is true to you and that is all that matters to YOU. :W I'm just pointing out that a result derived without factual, scientific, explainable or measurable results by definition must be based in or on other things. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

This is not to be taken as a rebuttal, only a little brain-teaser, for the sake of conversation and in good fun, as we all sometimes take things far too seriously, myself included.

To say that there are absolutely no pink elephants, based on scientific proof that no pink elephants have been documented, proves only that scientists have not yet found one. wink wink
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by William
                      Notice your key words "...one's opinion...". As I said if you believe in it then it is true to you and that is all that matters to YOU. :W I'm just pointing out that a result derived without factual, scientific, explainable or measurable results by definition must be based in or on other things. :T
                      :roll:

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

This is not to be taken as a rebuttal, only a little brain-teaser, for the sake of conversation and in good fun, as we all sometimes take things far too seriously, myself included.

To say that there are absolutely no pink elephants, based on scientific proof that no pink elephants have been documented, proves only that scientists have not yet found one. wink wink
                        found one :B
                        Attached Files
                        Greg

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

:roflmao:
                          Thanks alot, Gregg :M
                          Now my keyboard is covered with one of my favorite Cotes du Rhône's! :E
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

Sorry couldn't resist :angel: :angel:
                            Greg

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Consider yourself forgiven, my dear friend.

Best laugh I had today!
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• William
                                • Aug 2006

...To say that there are absolutely no pink elephants, based on scientific proof that no pink elephants have been documented, proves only that scientists have not yet found one. wink wink
                                Here is real 100% scientific proof (not Photoshop), now where is yours? :W

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

ha ha... but it doesn't match the same pink as the one from Dumbo. ha ha

Comment

• Russ L
                                    • Jul 2006

never mind
                                    Last edited by Russ L; 24 March 2009, 15:15 Tuesday.
                                    Russ

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Russ,
                                      I got a kick out of your post :T , sorry you decided to drop it.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"