X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Media room setup

I was recently at a local shop looking at the 803D, HTM2D, and DS8S set up for my media room.

While there, we started talking about budget and listening styles. I told him my budget and that I listen to 80-90% movies and TV and the other percentage is 2-channel music but more as background music while doing work or surfing the Internet.

He said that for my listening style, the 804S and HTM3S would be a better front sound stage. That way I could spend more on my amps. The thing is, I probably would go with the Classe CA-5200 amp either way. I guess by goinf to the smaller non-diamond speakers, I could afford a second Classe CA-5200 amp in order to bi-amp the speakers.

Are the Diamond tweeter speakers overkill in a set up where very little 2-channel music is played?

BTW, I have heard both and did hear a significant difference with the diamonds in 2-channel setup. I was unable to hear them both in an HT setup. (803D's were only in a 2-channel room and 804S was only in an HT room).
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

It doesn't matter what you are listening to, a better speaker is a better speaker. I'd recommend you get the 803D and HTM2D and one CA-5200. You will be much happier in the long run. The diamond tweeter is so much smoother that it will be easier to watch a movie over a two to three hour period. It's also a bigger speaker and will give you greater impact when watching a movie.

Eric

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

I would suggest that you go ahead and splurge on the 803D. There are a lot of debates whether bi-amping improves the sound, but there is no debate that the 803D is a better speaker than the 804S. Also, your listening habit may change over time -- I do much more two-channel listening after getting my 805S.

There is another option that you may want to consider. Get the 805S/HTM4S and get a second sub. I had this setup for some time and was very happy with it.

Comment

• William
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by louhamilton
        ...Are the Diamond tweeter speakers overkill in a set up where very little 2-channel music is played?

BTW, I have heard both and did hear a significant difference with the diamonds in 2-channel setup. I was unable to hear them both in an HT setup. (803D's were only in a 2-channel room and 804S was only in an HT room).
        You hear a significant difference so if you buy the S's and you will have regrets (enough said).

Comment

• Relentless
          • Jul 2007

Go with the 803D's. It is cheaper to go with the right choice from the start and build around it when the money is available, than to upgrade the mains later...... I love spending other peoples money almost as much as spending my own
          I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
          Lou

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

Thanks for all the great information. I'm now concerned about size and whether the room is large enough to handle the 803D sound. I will not have room to put them very far from the wall. Currently, all me speakers are wall mounted. Bookshelves in the front and dipoles in the back.

My room is 11x15 and is set up as:

This is an old diagram but still shows basic dimensions and TV furniture placement.
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• William
              • Aug 2006

While your room is a little on the small side (not too small though) the BIGEST problem you will have is with acoustics. You should never have your listening position between the shorter walls. This creates tremendous comb filtering and standing wave problems. If at all possible you should move your TV to the right (in picture) wall and have the couch and surrounds by the stairs. This move alone will likely improve your SQ by a large margin and for sure make calibrating much easer.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                It doesn't matter what you are listening to, a better speaker is a better speaker. I'd recommend you get the 803D and HTM2D and one CA-5200. You will be much happier in the long run. The diamond tweeter is so much smoother that it will be easier to watch a movie over a two to three hour period. It's also a bigger speaker and will give you greater impact when watching a movie.

Eric

I completely agree with Eric. The 803D will be much better than a 804S.

I also agree with kmcheng. I listen to more two channel than I did before. Having diamonds and McIntosh, which are outstanding for 2 channel and HT, certainly does help. :B

My room is the almost the same size as yours (11X16). I have 802D's in there. I see no issue with 803D's in that size room. I also agree with william. If you can flip the room around, that would definitely better. You may be able to get uyour rear speakers a bit behind the couch. I've found this to be a very good setup for rears.

Also, try to get the main speakers in a perfect triangle with the listening position (i.e. widen them out a bit). I have my 802D's like this and it is sweet.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by htsteve; 08 March 2009, 15:29 Sunday.

Comment

• kmcheng
                  • Jan 2008

I'm now concerned about size and whether the room is large enough to handle the 803D sound. I will not have room to put them very far from the wall.
                  If you are deciding between 803D and 804S then the room size and distance from the wall should not be a factor. Both speakers have similar sensitivity, and both speakers will be equal distance from the wall when placed in your room.

I agree with relentless that it is cheaper to get the right thing from the start than to upgrade and change later. With the 804S you will always be wondering how the 803D would sound in your room. So if budget allows, just get the 803D and get it over with. It will be cheaper in the long term.

I love spending other people's money.

Comment

• energyandair
                    • Jan 2009

In your room, it looks to me that the greatest problem by far is speaker placement.

The only good placement option for large floor standers and home theatre appears to be to flip the layout and put them either side of current couch location.

That however means that the couch would be badly placed in relation to the fireplace and rear speaker placement would be problematic.

If it were me, I would forget about 803Ds until I had a different room and go with something like 805 or 804 speakers with a decent sub. That also makes it easy to tone down the bass when it might annoy the neighbors.

David

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Buy the best you can afford today as with the economy going the way it is at least you will enjoy it :B

I would do the 803D it's not a question of playing loud but rather having great sound
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hammie
                        • Oct 2005

The issue with flipping the room is what is not shown in the diagram. I have a door and a fireplace in the two corners of that wall. This really is the only option.

If I could do it that way, I would probably do front projection with the Custom Theater line.

Anyway, we went today to look at the speakers and the wife liked the size of the 804's better. Still working on the 803's though. That is the way I would like to go no thanks to you all spending my money.
                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• kmcheng
                          • Jan 2008

Anyway, we went today to look at the speakers and the wife liked the size of the 804's better. Still working on the 803's though. That is the way I would like to go no thanks to you all spending my money.
                          What you should have done is first tell your wife the 801D is really what you want, but because you are sensitive to her tastes, you decide to settle on 802D instead. Then when there is still a complaint about the massive marlin head, you say, okay, I will get the 803D instead as a further compromise.

Worked like a charm in my case. :W

Comment

• kmcheng
                            • Jan 2008

Btw, since you already have the wall mounts, you may also want to consider wall mounting the 805S and getting a second sub. I liked that combination better than the 804S, but that's just me.

Comment

• Hammie
                              • Oct 2005

Damn you, kmcheng! Where were you about 8 hours ago. And yes, she really did hate those beautiful marlin heads. It's not the looks of the 803 that she did not like, it was the 5.5 inches taller. She thought they would be too obtrusive in our room

As far as wall mounting, I want to get away from that. I did it only for the kids when they were babies. Now that they are older (7 & 5), I am hoping that they will not mess around with them.

I also decided on the CWM DS8s for the rear. The wife REALLY like the fact that they would be hidden. The sales guy said for my sitting placement, they would sound MUCH better than DS8S's.
                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• 2channellover
                                • Jan 2009

While there, we started talking about budget and listening styles. I told him my budget and that I listen to 80-90% movies
                                I've heard both spkrs in 2-channel and HT. W/O question the 803D is a more dynamic spkr. Aside from midrange, IMO it does everything better than the 804s. But...

More than likely, you're going to have a decent sub...combined with the 804s/htm3, and the electronics you mentioned, you've got the makings of a very powerful HT system for a room the size of yours. Considering the difference in price I'd put the savings into starting a library for my source or something.

I know it's tempting to bag the larger speaker, I know I would be tempted, but in your case (room size), I think you'll be pleased with the 804s based system.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                  • Jan 2008

It's not the looks of the 803 that she did not like, it was the 5.5 inches taller. She thought they would be too obtrusive in our room
                                  I actually like the fact that the tweeter is taller on the 803D than, e.g., on the 802D. For my room I think it creates a better sound stage, or shall I say a better sound "height".

However, I am sure the 804S will do an absolutely fine job. You are already in the 800 series, or the audio heaven as I like to call it. It is like comparing chocolate cake vs. chocolate ice-cream. Coupled with the Classe amp, your system is going to be a killer no matter which speakers you go with.

Maybe you can use the savings to get a blu-ray player if you do not already have one.

Comment

• Hammie
                                    • Oct 2005

Well, I built mock speakers out of some old cardboard that was ready for the recycling guys and the 804's definitely are the better SIZE. So, it looks like I will pulling the trigger on the 804's come May. Center and surrounds will come later, as funds are replenished.
                                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• Sounder
                                      • Oct 2007

Classe amps are sweet, but very pricey. Check out the offerings from Emotiva.com. If you want the best, get their XPA1 monoblocks. Otherwise, an XPA2 will be a great choice for your 804s, and leave plenty of money for a great amp for the rest of the speakers too.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"