X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpirovol
    • Dec 2007

Blown tweeter or bad sound quality?

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell if they have a blown speaker. I have a B&W HTM62 and sometimes when I am watching TV or a movie i get almost like a distortion sound from the speaker. For example if I am watching batman dark night the part one they are going under ground and the cop speaks into the radio it almost sounds like distortion it happens everytime but at any volume.

just wondering how I can tell if I have a blown tweeter or not and would a blown tweeter work good on some audio and not on others and have the same distortion sound at all volumes or could it just be some sources of audio?

Thanks Terry
    P.S. If someone has dark night give it a try and let me know. I find it noticable when the cap is speaking into the radio saying "lower 5th" or somewhere in that sentance.
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

I do not think it is a blown tweeter.To test you can take another speaker and replace it with your center just to test it.I think it is the actual audio.I had the same issue with a part of voice dialog in the Transformers movie and it really bothered me.It would sound just a little distorted when one guy was talking and it did not mater at what volume.So I replaced my center with another one from another system and it was still the same.So then I replaced my speaker wire.It was still the same.So I replaced my interconnects.It could just be a defect on the BD or DVD.If it is a DVD also make sure that you are bit-streaming it instead of PCM.Hope this helps.

Comment

• tpirovol
      • Dec 2007

I actually just tested it on my PC becuase like you it was bothering me it happens right when he says "exit down, exit down" min 1hr:15:00 into the movie. I used my Senheisers and it happend it also happend on my stereo setup so it must be the movie. It must have been the recording in the movie because both the digital copy, ripped copy and blu-ray have it.

I also had this happen on some TV which is what got me wondering and the reason I sent this email.

Can someone confirm this for me that part in the movie does that to your system as well.

Thanks terry

Comment

• tpirovol
        • Dec 2007

Sorry it should have shown 1hr 15min 00sec into the movie.

Comment

• tpirovol
          • Dec 2007

Its funny we almost have the same setup except I have the 1560Reciever so it may be our speakers

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by tpirovol
            Its funny we almost have the same setup except I have the 1560Reciever so it may be our speakers
            You know I use to think the same thing but I have 2 Ht systems and the second system does not have B&W speakers and I get it on both systems.Do you have a PS3 as that is one thing I was never able to rule out of the equation.Also it never happens on cd's but I do not use the PS3 for cd's.

Comment

• tpirovol
              • Dec 2007

I do but getting a BD55 this week. I also tried with LPCM and bitstream DD same thing.

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

I do but getting a BD55 this week. I also tried with LPCM and bitstream DD same thing.
                Let me know if that fixes it for you as I have thought about the same one.

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

I actually just tested it on my PC becuase like you it was bothering me it happens right when he says "exit down, exit down" min 1hr:15:00 into the movie. I used my Senheisers and it happend it also happend on my stereo setup so it must be the movie. It must have been the recording in the movie because both the digital copy, ripped copy and blu-ray have it.

I also had this happen on some TV which is what got me wondering and the reason I sent this email.

Can someone confirm this for me that part in the movie does that to your system as well.

Thanks terry
                  I would but do not have that movie.

Comment

• Opus007
                    • Nov 2007

Is the PS3 what you use for BD/DVD?Still I think it is the disk.B&W speakers will reveal any imperfections on any media.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"