X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Want to upgrade my 600 HT system

Hi,

I've got a second system that is comprised of 603S3s in front, LCR60 center, and 602S3s for surrounds. The processor is a NAD T-762. I want to upgrade. I was thinking of getting a better center speaker and also replacing the processor. Since this is a second system I don't want to spend too much.

So:

1. Would one of the new 600 series center speakers match up well with my S3 600s? Which one the 61 or the 62? Would someone know the MSRP of these two centers?

2. Any suggestions on a processor? I was thinking of a Rotel but I don't think I need to go with one of the new 15s since I don't need the HD sound formats as I watch BR movies on my big set up with 800 series BWs and McIntosh amps. I am thinking that I should be able to get a good deal on some other Rotel now that the 15 series is hitting the market.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by jack d; 10 February 2009, 08:25 Tuesday.
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

No reactions yet. Hmm.

I've heard some complaints about the HTM61 because of it's asymmetrical speaker layout. Anything to it?

I'm thinking that probably the 62 is a better fit anyway because the 61 has the FST drivers unlike my S3 series so not as close a match between all drivers. Views on that?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Rotel RSX-1067 for something below $1k. Seems tempting.

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

This group doesn't get as much traffic as some others, so sometimes responses are a tiny bit slow in coming.

I don't think that the new 600 series centers will make a good match, but I don't know that for sure. If you could find a used LCR600 you'd see a very big improvement.

Alternatively (if you can accommodate it) you could probably get excellent results by finding a used pair of DM601 S3's and using one of them as a center channel. Even a vertically oriented 600S3 might work quite well.

Otherwise, see if you can borrow a 62 and try it in your system: it might work out better than the LCR60.

Comment

• jack d
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
        This group doesn't get as much traffic as some others, so sometimes responses are a tiny bit slow in coming.

I don't think that the new 600 series centers will make a good match, but I don't know that for sure. If you could find a used LCR600 you'd see a very big improvement.

Alternatively (if you can accommodate it) you could probably get excellent results by finding a used pair of DM601 S3's and using one of them as a center channel. Even a vertically oriented 600S3 might work quite well.

Otherwise, see if you can borrow a 62 and try it in your system: it might work out better than the LCR60.
        This system is not used for critical listening. I have my 800 series system for that. I'm mainly trying to improve a bit on the clairity of dialog for movies. I should probably consider some room treatments as this helped greatly in my main listening room. Can you turn a 601 on it's side? I doubt it. I can't accomodate a vertical center speaker in this set up. thx

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Originally posted by jack d
          This system is not used for critical listening. I have my 800 series system for that. I'm mainly trying to improve a bit on the clairity of dialog for movies. I should probably consider some room treatments as this helped greatly in my main listening room. Can you turn a 601 on it's side? I doubt it. I can't accomodate a vertical center speaker in this set up. thx
          Given your objectives, getting a better center channel will help even if it doesn't match all that well. In fact, for movies, getting a center channel that is "better" than your front L&R can be a good thing imo.

The reports on the HTM61 are mixed as you are aware. The HTM62 might be what you need, but I don't know if it's much of an improvement over the LCR60. It's probably better so it might be worth a shot.

Otherwise, you'd probably gain from anything upstream in the B&W lineup: if you could find a used HTM7 that would probably be a nice upgrade, though I still think finding an LCR600 would be ideal.

Good luck!

Comment

• jack d
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
            Given your objectives, getting a better center channel will help even if it doesn't match all that well. In fact, for movies, getting a center channel that is "better" than your front L&R can be a good thing imo.

The reports on the HTM61 are mixed as you are aware. The HTM62 might be what you need, but I don't know if it's much of an improvement over the LCR60. It's probably better so it might be worth a shot.

Otherwise, you'd probably gain from anything upstream in the B&W lineup: if you could find a used HTM7 that would probably be a nice upgrade, though I still think finding an LCR600 would be ideal.

Good luck!
            I find this sort of decision kind of difficult because it is not really worth it to go all out for the best speakers. It is a second system that does not get that much use. Still it's hard for me to go halfway with the project. You might be correct that the best route would be to find a LCR600 S3. I wonder, however, if it would really provide such a noticeable difference. Maybe room treatment would do just as well if not better. thx

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"