X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

rumblings, rumors and heresey

I did go to CES, but I didn't talk to Chris at all about B&W, so I have no news to report back, other than what I saw. However, I went to my dealer yesterday and he had something interesting to report.

He didn't have details, but said B&W was scaling back production of the 800 series speakers and was preparing to lower the sku count. He said stock in the warehouse was diminishing and they weren't planning to replennish. Could this be in preperation for a new series? Could he have mixed up his facts and misheard something? Seems kind of early, but is interesting.

Anyone have more info to report?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • William
    • Aug 2006

This info puts me in a pickle. I just bought a pair of 802D's and an HDM1D. The 802D's will be here next week and the HDM1D is backordered. First and foremost I don't want to be "stuck" buying an "outdated model" if I could wait a few weeks and get the latest offering. Second what does your info mean for me even getting an HDM1D?

On the face of it does your dealer really have any credible and reliable inside info? In most cases dealers are the last to know (because the internet turns it instantly). Also with the economy it just seems like bad timing to be updated the 800's. B&W would likely be better served at this time by trimming the 800 line down to a more manageable (and less consumer confusing) number. removing all the S's (except maybe the 805).

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by William
      This info puts me in a pickle. I just bought a pair of 802D's and an HDM1D. The 802D's will be here next week and the HDM1D is backordered. First and foremost I don't want to be "stuck" buying an "outdated model" if I could wait a few weeks and get the latest offering. Second what does your info mean for me even getting an HDM1D?

On the face of it does your dealer really have any credible and reliable inside info? In most cases dealers are the last to know (because the internet turns it instantly). Also with the economy it just seems like bad timing to be updated the 800's. B&W would likely be better served at this time by trimming the 800 line down to a more manageable (and less consumer confusing) number. removing all the S's (except maybe the 805).
      well... B&W traditionally announces new lines at CEDIA. So, I wouldn't expect to have a new line out in a few weeks. I wouldn't read too much into it. When they come out with a new line, they usually prepare the dealers and tell them to blow their demo's out. He wasn't told that.

My dealer does have credible information, but he has been known to confuse things. That doesn't mean that by CEDIA, something like that might be true. I don't know. I really was just curious to see if anyone had any more information. I am a bit skeptical about it them replacing the line at this point.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
        • May 2008

This may also be B&W playing it safe in a tougher market and either making the 800 series harder to get and/or reducing their costs by not holding as much stock right now.
        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

sikoniko, you are the last person I would expect to see spreading a little "FUD" around here.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• KyaDawn
            • Mar 2008

I highly doubt B&W is going to be canceling the 800 series anytime soon. The series came out not even 3 1/2 years ago. I would estimate it will be at least 2012 before anything comes out that is going to replace the 800 series.

B&W scaling back the production of its most expensive line of speakers makes total sense in this economy. If they foresee sales slowing down in the immediate future, why wouldn't they scale back production?

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
              This may also be B&W playing it safe in a tougher market and either making the 800 series harder to get and/or reducing their costs by not holding as much stock right now.
              I like your taste in cars, and particularly your choice of colors. We share the same passion. :T
              Last edited by beden1; 24 January 2009, 23:33 Saturday.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

805D might be in the cards, with the British Pound at an all time low may be they will lower the prices :T

I am not holding my breath....
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                  I highly doubt B&W is going to be canceling the 800 series anytime soon. The series came out not even 3 1/2 years ago. I would estimate it will be at least 2012 before anything comes out that is going to replace the 800 series.

B&W scaling back the production of its most expensive line of speakers makes total sense in this economy. If they foresee sales slowing down in the immediate future, why wouldn't they scale back production?
                  I'm totally going to have to agree with you. We've done a similar thing with some of the more expensive retail items in our communications store. Why over extend your credit with inventory you aren't going to sell till next year or the year after that. I'd much rather pay interest on a few months than a few years and having money tied up in inventory with no place for it to go.
                  -Joe

Comment

• marky mark
                    • Feb 2008

i guess we will all have to see what b&w is going to do

Comment

• Grasynoll
                      • Mar 2006

Cutting inventories in this economic crisis is a no brainer.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        sikoniko, you are the last person I would expect to see spreading a little "FUD" around here.
                        Actually, I wasn't attempting to spread FUD, I was looking for clarification and thought someone here might have heard something.

Comment

• William
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          Actually, I wasn't attempting to spread FUD, I was looking for clarification and thought someone here might have heard something.
                          ...but you FUDed me. :E

Comment

• sticknstones
                            • Feb 2009

Seven Year Cycles

Originally posted by KyaDawn

When I bought my 804's in 2003 they told me that B&W runs in 7 year cycles. This was important to me as I wanted the time to add others. I think the 800 D series is just half-way so I agree with kyaDawn! :B
                            "I was not born a wiseman but I am learning the trade"

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"