X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Which would you choose?

Just for fun, check out this picture. Which pair, the B&W's or the Revels?

This is a tough choice. I am not in the market for either but wow what a setup (Nice amps). I have not heard the B&W Signatures but have heard the Revels. Hate to say it but the Revels could make me give up B&W's, well maybe if they made an anniversary edition in grey tiger's eye. :B
    Attached Files
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

..... Halcro..... droool..
    B&W

Comment

• Relentless
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
      Just for fun, check out this picture. Which pair, the B&W's or the Revels?

This is a tough choice. I am not in the market for either but wow what a setup (Nice amps). I have not heard the B&W Signatures but have heard the Revels. Hate to say it but the Revels could make me give up B&W's, well maybe if they made an anniversary edition in grey tiger's eye. :B
      I would go with the Revels. I need tight punchy bass. The Anniversary's look to me to be great with vocals and midrange, but after having the 800D's driven with equipment that produces world class bass I am afraid the Anniversary's won't do it for me.
      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
      Lou

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

uhmmm...Revel no B&W!

NO I go listen and than I go decide :T

with so a great system wow you can say only with a picture what is the best solution??

Style

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
          I would go with the Revels. I need tight punchy bass. The Anniversary's look to me to be great with vocals and midrange, but after having the 800D's driven with equipment that produces world class bass I am afraid the Anniversary's won't do it for me.
          What do you drive your 800D's with? My room tests OK when I run a pink noise test but I have never had a lot of bass from any speaker, even big ones (S800's N801's, Klipschorns).

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi DM3000 Owner,

a copy of 805 signature (Tiger color liko your 800) vs. 805S what is the pricipal difference ?

they match this 2 speaker? 805s and the 805signature?

thank style

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Style,

The Signature 800 is the same speaker as the Nautilus 800 and I think that the Signature 805 is the same speaker as the current 805S. Not sure though.

When I replaced my tweeter, the part listed it as a replacement for the S800 and S805, no mention of the new 803S, 804S and 805S (of the Nautilus 800 for that matter) so I am not sure if it is the same.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

What do you drive your 800D's with? My room tests OK when I run a pink noise test but I have never had a lot of bass from any speaker, even big ones (S800's N801's, Klipschorns).
                Sounds to me like you want more than accurate bass, you want a night club. Maybe you should consider some PA speakers After all if the room measures just fine then your speakers must be producing that bass that you are measuring in that room. Face it DM3000- you are a bass head. ;b> :dance:

Oh, and the signature 800s were better sounding N800 series (improved tweeter etc), and then the current 800s came along and bettered both. I was offered a pair of new signature 805(old stock), 805S and 804s when I was purchasing a couple of years ago. Signatures were the same price as the 804, but were reported to be just behind the 805s in sound quality (but better than n805). The signatures were the last pair in the box so I did not audition - at the point they were offered I had already decided on the 804 so it did not seem right to ask for a demo. So I went for sound over ultimate beauty- although all were nice to look at.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I have heard the smaller Halrco amps in this setup

and the signature diamonds in store. Interestingly both systems were super detailed.

I think both looks have merit in my opinion, It would come down the the sound ultimately.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

one of my local dealers had those halcro's for a week to consider picking up the line. they opted not to in favor of their ayre products.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                      Sounds to me like you want more than accurate bass, you want a night club. Maybe you should consider some PA speakers After all if the room measures just fine then your speakers must be producing that bass that you are measuring in that room. Face it DM3000- you are a bass head. ;b> :dance:

Oh, and the signature 800s were better sounding N800 series (improved tweeter etc), and then the current 800s came along and bettered both. I was offered a pair of new signature 805(old stock), 805S and 804s when I was purchasing a couple of years ago. Signatures were the same price as the 804, but were reported to be just behind the 805s in sound quality (but better than n805). The signatures were the last pair in the box so I did not audition - at the point they were offered I had already decided on the 804 so it did not seem right to ask for a demo. So I went for sound over ultimate beauty- although all were nice to look at.
                      PA SPEAKERS, WHY YOU... :a> ;-x :2fingers:

OK, now that I got that outta my system. I have to use a JL Audio F113 to get a clean response. I have a really large room and this problem happens with every speaker. I really did nto expect to need a subwoofer with N801's or the S800's but I do, and no it is not cranked.

The S800's are identical to the N800's. Right from Kal's pen (or keyboard) in his June 2002 review:

"Under the skin, the Signature 800 and its plain vanilla (!) Nautilus version ($16,000/pair) are identical, so the foregoing description—and, indeed, all the following comments about performance—should apply equally to the less expensive, non-Signature version."

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Looking at both sets of speakers, it is hard to imagine that they would be comparable in sound due to the vastly different designs.

I could not see them both producing the same bass but I have learnt that bigger is not always better.

Are they even in the same price range ?

At a guess I would have to say the larger speaker for those that want home theatre with their music amd the smaller ones for music over home theatre.

But what would I know I havent even heard or seen any of them before ?
                        LOL

Pete

Comment

• sunshdw
                          • Sep 2008

I'd take both??

Being is they are in two different worlds. 3way vs. 2way. At the store here I had the chance to listen to the sig diamonds and loved them. However, for the price of them I'd rather get the 802D's
                          Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• Relentless
                            • Jul 2007

I am using a Krell EVO707 processor and Krell EVO400 mono's. Eventually(when I move) I will move up to the EVO900's, but I am in a small room now and the 400's over power the room before they are even close to clipping. Sometimes I have to turn off the amps on the pair of 15" subs to prove to people they are not on during 2ch listening.

What do you consider a lot of bass?... The 800D's produce accurate tight bass and plenty of it(even for the double bass drums in metal music). If you are looking for deep bass for rap or organ music you will need subs to hit that low and move the kind of air you are looking for.
                            Last edited by Relentless; 28 December 2008, 14:44 Sunday.
                            I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                            Lou

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"