X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Relentless
    • Jul 2007

Old English "lemon oil" and 800D's

I use this stuff on the rosewood neck of my guitar and it works great. I would like to put a coat of it on my rosenut 800D's.

Anyone have any experience with this polish on the rosenut finish?
    Any adverse effects?

Thanks,
    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
    Lou
  • joetama
    • May 2006

If you get brave and try it let us know.

I've tried several different things on my 703 (Black finish) and haven't really been happy with anything other than a slightly damp cloth or dry dusting...
    -Joe

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
      I use this stuff on the rosewood neck of my guitar and it works great. I would like to put a coat of it on my rosenut 800D's. Anyone have any experience with this polish on the rosenut finish? Any adverse effects? Thanks,
      Damaging the speakers!! I would not put anything just dry lint free cloth.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• greenhorn
        • Feb 2007

Swifters

Swifters are the only thing I use on my CM-7's.

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

People the veneer is REAL wood and NEEDS oil in order to maintain a healthy finish and not dry out (citrus is the best). I have a set of JBL L80's from circa 1980 and have lemon oiled them regularly (along with my 10 year old Klipsch's and my B&W's) and they all look fantastic. I do them all about every 6 months.

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

I use this stuff on the rosewood neck of my guitar and it works great. I would like to put a coat of it on my rosenut 800D's.

Any adverse effects?

Thanks,
            I remember reading something from B&W about using waxes on the speakers. It said to make sure you take the grills off and do all surfaces, so the wood under the grills don't age a different color. Old English is a decent wax and is fine to use. IMO, Guardsman Wax is even better on wood.

I've used Guardman wax on my light cherry 703s and their color is aging very nicely.
            Last edited by beden1; 28 November 2008, 00:19 Friday.

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

I use lemon wax on my black ash 805's. love the shine. Be careful to keep the wax only on the wood though. tweeter and mid driver get the same electronics (anti static) dusting as my other components.

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Any adverse effects?

Thanks,
                Just bought a new dining table and I was told not to use wax or lemon oil or anything with silicone. Just to use a very mild diluted soap and water and then to rinse off completely and dried thoroughly. Using those products will prevent the wood from being refinished if the need should arise. Of course my B&W speakers are veneer and not solid wood but I would still just use a damp cloth and then dry.
                Russ

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                  Just bought a new dining table and I was told not to use wax or lemon oil or anything with silicone. Just to use a very mild diluted soap and water and then to rinse off completely and dried thoroughly. Using those products will prevent the wood from being refinished if the need should arise. Of course my B&W speakers are veneer and not solid wood but I would still just use a damp cloth and then dry.
                  Johnson's Paste Wax is very good on solid wood dining room tables.

Comment

• Ken49r
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Russ L
                    That could very well be true for those that like to apply wax to their furniture weekly. I only wax my speakers every few months though. (applied very lightly to the rag) Normally it's just the trusty feather duster. With the black ash I'm pretty anal about seeing dust. Some of the equipment even gets covered to prevent dust going into the air vents.

Comment

• Relentless
                      • Jul 2007

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am going to do it. I will do a small area to test the oil but I am confident I will be fine.
                      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                      Lou

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I use a good wax with bee stuff. The wood needs it and it keeps it fresh and stops it from drying out.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

MeaCulpa....Lemon Oil I tried it on old 803N and it works very well, let's see in a few days...
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• William
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                            MeaCulpa....Lemon Oil I tried it on old 803N and it works very well, let's see in a few days...
                            Like I posted I've been doing it biyearly for almost 30 years on one pair of speakers I have. That's more than just a few days to see. :W

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by William
                              Like I posted I've been doing it biyearly for almost 30 years on one pair of speakers I have. That's more than just a few days to see. :W
                              30 years eh, I am not that old :B

Comment

• scanido
                                • Apr 2006

I only use Scott's Liquid Gold wood polish. For the drivers, a soft paint bristle brush to get the dist off. This is what B&W recommended to me.

I do an annual clean and polish and every week or so I go over the finish with a damp cloth. Works like a charm!

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                  I only use Scott's Liquid Gold wood polish. For the drivers, a soft paint bristle brush to get the dist off. This is what B&W recommended to me.
                                  Dust you mean? Where can you find "Scott's Liquid Gold wood polish"

Comment

• iiaudio
                                    • Feb 2008

Dust you mean? Where can you find "Scott's Liquid Gold wood polish"
                                    Scott's Liquid Gold - Care for all the real wood Throughout your home

Comment

• akhter
                                      • Jun 2005

My dealer recommended pledge with orange oil for my red cherry n804 and its absolutely amazing. I assume lemon oil is very similar to orange oil?

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Comment

• ninja12
                                          • Mar 2007

This is the response I received from Mike at B&W.

Thank you for purchasing B&W! A simple dusting is usually all that is required for basic upkeep on the loudspeakers, but if you do wish to polish the speakers as they do use a real wood veneer they can be polished like furniture. A simple spray polish like Pledge would work just fine for this purpose.

Best Regards,
                                          Michael Sheehan
                                          The B&W Group
                                          B&W / Rotel / Classe

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"