X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Class A, B, D, Tube Amp For N803

I need to replace my dying Sony 777ES reciever, which power my N803.

Can someone explain how each of the classes would be with my speakers? Especially in terms of durability and sound quality.

I would like to spend $800, but could see spending a couple hundred more. Is the money better spent on a pre-amp and amp? or maybe just an amp for now? How about a integrated?

Would a Rotel RB-1080 be enough? What about PS audio?

--I would rather buy used to save money.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by atchudy
    I need to replace my dying Sony 777ES reciever, which power my N803.

Can someone explain how each of the classes would be with my speakers? Especially in terms of durability and sound quality.

I would like to spend $800, but could see spending a couple hundred more. Is the money better spent on a pre-amp and amp? or maybe just an amp for now? How about a integrated?

Would a Rotel RB-1080 be enough? What about PS audio?

--I would rather buy used to save money.

atchudy,

My first thought as I was reading your post was the Rotel 1080. I had one at one time powering some N804's very nicely. Very good bass and excellent soundstage. However, you said your Sony is dying. A 1080 doesn't really do any good unless the front end is there. I have experience with PS Audio.

I personally like the amp pre-amp idea. It allows you to get excellent components for each and is cheaper in the long run. However, it's more money to get into.

An integrated would be an excellent idea if you are primarily 2 channel. Here is one that is above your price range, but would definitely fit the bill. And it's a very good price.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• atchudy
      • Nov 2007

The amps on the sony are dying, i could use the processor for a while.

I am 2 channel only.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by atchudy
        The amps on the sony are dying, i could use the processor for a while.

I am 2 channel only.

atchudy,

I've only had the Class A/B and class D amps. I've not owned a tube amp.
        I've heard that tubes work well with B&W's and I've they don't, so listening to this pairing might be wise.

As for Class A/B and class D, I've owned Rotel versions of each. I had a 1095 multichannel amp which was very good for HT, clean, dymanic, very nice bass. I bought a 1080 to improve the 2 channel performance. It did that: better bass control, soundstage and detail.

These were running N804s, HTM1 and 705's.

I then got the 1077. I was the perfect solution for me in that I needed smaller amps. The class D amps are generally only about 3 inches tall, and they run quite cool, especially compared to the Class A/B amps.

To me, the 1077 was equal to the 1080 in performance, but in a multichannel set-up. The 7 channels are quite configurable. I upgraded to B&W Diamonds up front and I used the 1077 to bi-amp them (802D's and HTM2D).

Either A/B or D will well with your N803's. However, I would look for 200 watts per channel. This will ensure there is plenty of power for those bass drivers. This is what makes the 1080 attractive. Good power and good performance.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• atchudy
          • Nov 2007

I think i know what to spend 600-800. I cant find many 200w used Rotel in silver.

Is the Emotiva XPA-2 good quality?

What about Emotiva RPA?

Comment

• MikeFL52
            • Oct 2007

Look at this thread:

Comment

• Blessedi
              • Jul 2006

How about Pure class A , 100 watter on N803? Any power issue if use for home theatre?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"