X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaNile
    • Nov 2008

Best options for about $3000 or less

I'm moving and upgrading my HY system. I currently have a Yammy receiver, Emotiva XPA 5 (200Wx5) and B&W 600 series front, center and rears. I mostly watch concert DVD's and a lot of HD sports and an occasional movie and want to upgrade my setup. I stopped by Tweeter today and thought their prices were OK so I almost jumped at a pair of Klipsch RF speakers. Then I got to thinking, if I was going to spend up to about $3000 for front speakers what are my best options? Any suggestions on what may fit within my budget from the B&W lineup? I have no problem going with a reputable source and buying preowned...Agon, etc.

Thanks for the help.

--JK
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

$3000 for JUST front speakers?
    Or $3000 for all your speakers?

If you watch a lot of concerts, and you plan on replacing your front speakers, it's best to get the matching center as well.

Please advise.
    Also, what 600 series model do you currently own?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SeaNile
      I'm moving and upgrading my HY system. I currently have a Yammy receiver, Emotiva XPA 5 (200Wx5) and B&W 600 series front, center and rears. I mostly watch concert DVD's and a lot of HD sports and an occasional movie and want to upgrade my setup. I stopped by Tweeter today and thought their prices were OK so I almost jumped at a pair of Klipsch RF speakers. Then I got to thinking, if I was going to spend up to about $3000 for front speakers what are my best options? Any suggestions on what may fit within my budget from the B&W lineup? I have no problem going with a reputable source and buying preowned...Agon, etc.

Thanks for the help.

--JK
      JK,

I generally think that upgrading your speakers is a great way to upgrade the system. However, you have a separate amp, nice B&W speakers and a receiver.

I'm thinking that the one thing you can do is replace the Yammy with a pre-amp. The new Rotel pre-amp ($2300) would be nice (I didn't see an AV pre-amp on Emotiva's website).

If you want to improve the speakers, then I would look at the 700 or CM series fronts and center channel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• N2siast
        • Sep 2007

Check out the upcoming CM-9 or the 700 series.

Comment

• SeaNile
          • Nov 2008

The fronts are the 603 and the center is the s600 with similar 600's in the rear. I am looking to ditch the Yammy rx-v2400 and get a dedicated pre...Emotiva should have one released soon. Also will be adding a blu ray player as well. I have a bit of time, new house will not be completed till July (when I will be adding the latest 1080i PJ as well..maybe Panny ax3000u if it is still the best in that price range). I'd like not to have to buy new rears if I can avoid it!

803 Nautilus for 2995 worth thinking about??
          --JK

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

The fronts are the 603 and the center is the s600 with similar 600's in the rear. I am looking to ditch the Yammy rx-v2400 and get a dedicated pre...Emotiva should have one released soon. Also will be adding a blu ray player as well. I have a bit of time, new house will not be completed till July (when I will be adding the latest 1080i PJ as well..maybe Panny ax3000u if it is still the best in that price range). I'd like not to have to buy new rears if I can avoid it!

803 Nautilus for 2995 worth thinking about??
            --JK

JK,

N803's for $3k. Yes, that's is definitely something to think about. Is this $3k budget just for the front speakers? I.E will you get the pre-amp, blu ray and projector with different funds. If yes, then the N803's are a definite big step up from the 603's. If you do the 803's you should upgrade the center at some point. Your 600's are fine for rears.

By next July, there should be new and improved 1080p projectors by then. What screen are you looking at?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• SeaNile
              • Nov 2008

I already have a 126" Carada in BW. Having a new house built so I sold my Panny ax 200U and will upgrade to 1080 in the summer. The 3K or so is just for the fronts, unless I find I don't "need" to spend that much. I will be slowly upgrading everything. Suddenly I am thinking will I need to bi-amp the fronts or will the XPA-5 @200Wx5 be OK. I'm just surfing ebay and Agon to see what is out there. My issue is I can't seem to make sense of all the options...series 1,2,3, matrix, 700 and 800 series, etc. I wouldn't be using these speakers till July anyway so I have time to shop around, although when I hyperfocus it's trouble!!

--JK

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I can't recommend spending all $3k on N803's since you mentioned you mostly listen to concert DVDs. Most of your vocals are coming from the center, and the N803's are going to severely overkill the 600 center.

My suggestion:
                1) Buy the N803 and ditch the 600 center
                2) Upgrade to a better pre/pro
                3) N805 with HTM2 center (if you already have a sub. If not, I don't recommend this option)

Comment

• SeaNile
                  • Nov 2008

This room is quite large about 37x19. I don't need to fill the entire room, as the screen is across the room, so screen is about 12-17 feet from viewing couch. I don't know the exact measurements because the house is not finished yet. So with the size I do want a bigger more powerful better sounding speaker. I will in time, probably within 3 months upgrade the center speaker as well. I'll also be getting a new pre/pro to go with the Emotiva XPA-5. Also already have a Paradigm sub.

--JK

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Why not just keep saving your money to get the kind of speakers down the road that you will happy to keep for many years. Also, the way this economy is tanking, the longer you wait, better deals will surface both in the new and used markets.

Comment

• SeaNile
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                      Why not just keep saving your money to get the kind of speakers down the road that you will happy to keep for many years. Also, the way this economy is tanking, the longer you wait, better deals will surface both in the new and used markets.
                      That is another route to go. Only thing to consider is the closer it gets to the house being completed more funds and attention will be spent on furniture, painting, etc. If I can find a great deal before May I am golden. I will goto my local B&W dealer (whom i can't stand, incredibly snobby, won't give you the time of day, etc) and start learning more about the different series. I also did not give much thought as to how important a good center speaker is, especially when watching HT, concert dvd's and HD TV sports.

--JK

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

That is another route to go. Only thing to consider is the closer it gets to the house being completed more funds and attention will be spent on furniture, painting, etc. If I can find a great deal before May I am golden. I will goto my local B&W dealer (whom i can't stand, incredibly snobby, won't give you the time of day, etc) and start learning more about the different series. I also did not give much thought as to how important a good center speaker is, especially when watching HT, concert dvd's and HD TV sports.

--JK
                        That's the best thing to do...take some time and listen to different speakers so you know what you like. Then look for the best deal you can get.

It seems like you also may need to spend time doing some research as to what it takes to put a balanced system together.

We've all been there, and too many of us (including me) took the plunge without planning their systems properly beforehand. If you start with speakers for example, get the best ones that you like, as these will be your anchors that you'll build the rest of your system around down the road.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Hi JK,

You mostly watch music DVDs. Right? I think that you should spend your $3000 budget on a new pair of floorstanding speakers and listen to your music DVDs in stereo. Let me explain...

My primary interest is music DVDs. I watch a lot of them, at my place and at friends' places. I own a 2-channel system plus a subwoofer. I always try all of the audio tracks on each DVD (i.e. 2-channel LPCM, 2-Channel Dolby Digital, 5.1 Dolby Digital, 5.1 DTS) in order to find the best one for that particular DVD. 95% of the time I end up selecting the 2-channel track because it sounds better. It usually has superior dynamics. Some people will argue that I can't get the best out of a 5.1 track on a 2-channel system but I would counter by saying that occasionally the 5.1 Dolby Digital track does sound best. I have never come across a DTS track that sounds the best.

In the early days my friends who have 5.1 systems used to select the 5.1 track on their music DVDs and listen to them in 5.1. I mean if you've got 5 speakers you'd want to use all 5 of them wouldn't you? No, not necessarily. I've suggested to my friends that they experiment listening to the 2-channel track in stereo using just their floorstanders and their subwoofer. These days when I go to their places I've noticed that they now listen to their music DVDs in stereo and save their 5.1 equipment for movies only. These guys are seriously into music and don't do it just because I'm there.

B&W speakers may not be the best choice for your ears but choosing the best floorstanders that you can afford makes sense to me.

Nigel.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

This room is quite large about 37x19.
                            With that said, I agree with BigBurner and get floorstanding speakers. So I don't recommend the N805/HTM2 combo now.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

I concur fully with what Bigburner has posted.

Floorstanders are the way to go, imho.

Comment

• htsteve
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

With that size of room, those N803's are looking real good right now.

Comment

• atchudy
                                  • Nov 2007

i was in the same predicament. I choose N803's, instead of spending 3k on a 600 series theater, or 805's with a sub.

Comment

• SeaNile
                                    • Nov 2008

I'm going to head to a B&W dealer(carries Klipsch as well if I go that route as I listen to all rock&roll stuff), hopefully tomorrow, to listen to a few of the speakers so I can make a good decision when it comes time to pounce on a deal I see on Agon. I'm still trying to make sense of all of the model offerings and what would suit me best.

--JK

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Good luck. Make sure to bring your favorite CDs.

Comment

• SeaNile
                                        • Nov 2008

I am curious to see if the Klipsch RF 83's would fit the bill. Love the B&W's but will they excel playing only rock&roll in a larger room?

--JK

Comment

• audioqueso
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

My opinion, it will depend on the Emotiva amp. I've never heard it the Emotive, so I can't comment on how it would make the N803 sound.

However, when I first received my N805's, I matched it up with the Marantz receiver that I had at the time, then I paired it Rotel amps. In both cases, the 800 series sounded too 'polite' for rock. Rocking Stones, Lenny Kravitz, and more is what I listened to most under rock. I didn't like it. I later added a Parasound amp and really enjoyed the way it sounded. It gave it a slight more forward sound, but it was just what my N805's needed to sound alive with rock.

And that's why I said, it depends on how the Emotiva sounds. If it's has a laid back signature sound like Rotel does, you may find that the N803's sound too polite with rock.

Comment

• SeaNile
                                            • Nov 2008

I really, really wanted to like the Klipsch RF line and listened to the RF 63's and still want to hear the RF 83's mainly because of their efficiency, loudness and honestly, price too. New RF 83's are about $2200 for the pair! So I listened to a pair of RF 63's and the 683's figuring the theory and "sound" of each company would be present in each speaker. Now I remember why I bought B&W for the 2nd time around in 15 years...they sound awesome. Very well rounded, classy, and silky smooth,this from the 600 series! The Klipsch seem louder (good) but a little echo-y from the horn and a little more upfront and in your face. Think I am settling on B&W's for my upgrade.

So now I am back to looking for a great deal. The 802d's and corresponding center would be great, but is it too much for someone who watches mostly concert dvd's and HDTV sports and an occasional movie. I do feel comfortable staying within the B&W line and knowing whatever my next purchase is, it will be a large step in the right direction up from my present 603's. Saw 803d with center speaker for 7900...ouch...but a good deal?? Maybe I scale back down to the 3000 for fronts considering my viewing habits?? Decisions, decisions....

--JK

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"