X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kubota36
    • Aug 2008

Signature Diamonds 2nd thoughts?

I am considering a pair of the signature diamonds. I would place them in an HT system but also use them for serious two channel listening as well. they would be driven by my trusty old Mark Levinson No. 23 amp and have a Classe ssp 800 to serve as a preamp processor.

Two requests:

First, I would welcome thoughts on these speakers as 2 channel reference speakers. I notive that early posts were quite skeptical. Has time and experience led anyone to like them more? or less? I listened to them in a dealer show room and was quite impressed. I have never 'felt' a speaker totally disappear like that before. But I am not a golden ear.

Second, the wisdom of earlier posts was that they would be better with a phantom center channel than with a mis matched one. And no one knew of a matched one save for a 3rd sig diamond. Any new thoughts on this?

thanks in advance for your guidance.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kubota36
    I am considering a pair of the signature diamonds. I would place them in an HT system but also use them for serious two channel listening as well. they would be driven by my trusty old Mark Levinson No. 23 amp and have a Classe ssp 800 to serve as a preamp processor.

Two requests:

First, I would welcome thoughts on these speakers as 2 channel reference speakers. I notive that early posts were quite skeptical. Has time and experience led anyone to like them more? or less? I listened to them in a dealer show room and was quite impressed. I have never 'felt' a speaker totally disappear like that before. But I am not a golden ear.

Second, the wisdom of earlier posts was that they would be better with a phantom center channel than with a mis matched one. And no one knew of a matched one save for a 3rd sig diamond. Any new thoughts on this?

thanks in advance for your guidance.
    You already answered question #1. " I have never 'felt' a speaker totally disappear like that before." You need to be the judge and if you have never experienced a speaker like this before and liked it, then you know what to do.

The center is tougher.

Check out page 58 of this thread:

I'd say go for it, but then again I went for the earlier Signature instead of 800D's or 802D's which were very close in price used and new respectively.

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

DM3000

Have you compared S800 with 800D, or N801 with 801D?? If yes, did you notice much more improvement with rohacell and diamond tweeters??

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
        DM3000

Have you compared S800 with 800D, or N801 with 801D?? If yes, did you notice much more improvement with rohacell and diamond tweeters??
        Never directly compared them. The Nautilus and Signatures have aluminum tweeters, not diamond. The Nautilus are outstanding and I imagine the new Signatures are also outstanding.

Comment

• kubota36
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Pedro
          DM3000

I have listened to 800Ds but not 801D. 800D clearly has a fuller bass but did not disappear for me the way Diamonds did. I am not a sophisticated enough listener to know whether to attribute that to tweeter differences I have a Rel Britania sub that I like a lot. It would solve any bass issues for HT and I think it adds a little for 2 channel, though my taste in 2 channel is ok with a slightly lite bass as long as it is finely resolved and tight. I dont find the Diamond Sigs lacking in base for my taste, but when you go up against 800Ds you notice the difference.

I would be interested in your thoughts re your own question. tnx

Comment

• kubota36
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
            You already answered question #1. " I have never 'felt' a speaker totally disappear like that before." You need to be the judge and if you have never experienced a speaker like this before and liked it, then you know what to do.

The center is tougher.

Check out page 58 of this thread:

I'd say go for it, but then again I went for the earlier Signature instead of 800D's or 802D's which were very close in price used and new respectively.

I fear you are right. Kind of hoping someone could convince me not to spend the bucks, but your analysis is dead on; only your own ears can tell you what speakers are worth.

I had read thoughts re center, but re read. It looks like phantom is the way to go unless you can find and afford one heck of a center. And, nothing is almost always less costly than something.

thanks

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

I fear you are right. Kind of hoping someone could convince me not to spend the bucks, but your analysis is dead on; only your own ears can tell you what speakers are worth.

I had read thoughts re center, but re read. It looks like phantom is the way to go unless you can find and afford one heck of a center. And, nothing is almost always less costly than something.

thanks
              I spent a lot more on the S800'sover the N801's and I was completely happy with the N801's. I have never regretted getting the S800's.

I doubt that you will regret the pruchase, especially if 2 channel is your thing or mostly your thing.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

thanks
                I saw the Signature Diamonds today at the dealer, but didn't listen to them. I saw a sale tag for about $11,500 for the pair (they must not be moving well?). Did you listen to the 803D's? Judging from just looking at the Sig's, I can't see how their output would better the 803D's, or come close to the 800D's? Of course, the 800D's list for more than double than what I saw the Sig's selling for, and the 803D's now list for $9,000.

I have the 803Ds's, and they are really excellent when matched with the proper electronics.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                  I saw the Signature Diamonds today at the dealer, but didn't listen to them. I saw a sale tag for about $11,500 for the pair (they must not be moving well?). Did you listen to the 803D's? Judging from just looking at the Sig's, I can't see how their output would better the 803D's, or come close to the 800D's? Of course, the 800D's list for more than double than what I saw the Sig's selling for, and the 803D's now list for $9,000.

I have the 803Ds's, and they are really excellent when matched with the proper electronics.
                  That sounds like a deal to jump on.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

That sounds like a deal to jump on.
                    I can confirm the price with the dealer tomorrow if anyone is interested. They were smaller than I imagined. They are on the floor, so probably selling as demos. These speakers are in their own room that has two listening chairs, so I doubt there are any problems with them.

Comment

• kubota36
                      • Aug 2008

I can confirm the price with the dealer tomorrow if anyone is interested. They were smaller than I imagined. They are on the floor, so probably selling as demos. These speakers are in their own room that has two listening chairs, so I doubt there are any problems with them.

If this really is a pair of Signature diamonds at that price I am quite interested. Just head me toward the dealer. thanks and let me know.

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

If this really is a pair of Signature diamonds at that price I am quite interested. Just head me toward the dealer. thanks and let me know.
                        Are they a white pair? That would explain the drastic price cut to my personal tastes. But considering the unique sound of the Sigs I would purchase a white pair at a $6,000 discount and paint them a seaweed colour. Those speakers are a must buy IMO. :T
                        Russ

Comment

• Russ L
                          • Jul 2006

I listened to them in a dealer show room and was quite impressed. I have never 'felt' a speaker totally disappear like that before. But I am not a golden ear.
                          The accuracy of high frequency information is critical to the way our ears interpret the spatial information of sound. Apparently even for frequencies higher than our normal (conscious? :scratchhead: ) range of hearing!

According to Michael Whiteside Engineer and Designer for Abbey Road Studios:
                          If you consider you can pin-point the source of a sound, without looking, to within a degree or so - e.g. birdsong at 4KHz, you will see that in order to calculate to this accuracy -one degree in 360 at 4kHz- the brain is working on time differences between the sound reaching one ear and the other of something like 2 millionths of a second (0.5MHz). In other words, although the ears only hear to around 15KHz, essential positional information is contained in the relative phase of sound and harmonics to frequencies much higher than the normal audio band.
                          This brings improved accuracy, dynamics and less distortion across the entire frequency spectrum. The improved soundstage and the speakers disappearing are probably due to the Signature speaker having the most advanced tweeter design available.

B&W's Dr. John Dibb:
                          As the name suggests, this system employs a diamond dome tweeter which, within the audible spectrum, behaves as closely to the “perfect” dome as makes no difference. But with high frequency vibrations of only a few microns being audible, the design of the tweeter housing is even more critical than that of the bass cabinet. Here, it is enclosed in an acoustically “dead,” optimally shaped heavy marble block, physically isolated from the cabinet.

The amazing thing is that, despite covering only the last three octaves of a ten octave spectrum, the improvements in dynamics, resolution and openness seem to extend right down to the bass frequencies.
                          All things considered the marble diamond tweeter makes the Sigs a solid contender for the best overall performer in the B&W range. Hence the steep price for a 2 way speaker.

Combined with the amps you have they should be near unbeatable! Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Russ L; 25 September 2008, 05:51 Thursday. Reason: Insert Whiteside quote
                          Russ

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                            • Jun 2006

Go get 'em and let us know how it goes. Take lots of photos. I had to move very fast to get my Sigs. The competition was fierce.

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

I sent you a PM.

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                Are they a white pair? That would explain the drastic price cut to my personal tastes. But considering the unique sound of the Sigs I would purchase a white pair at a $6,000 discount and paint them a seaweed colour. Those speakers are a must buy IMO. :T
                                They are white, if my memory serves correctly.

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Go get 'em and let us know how it goes. Take lots of photos. I had to move very fast to get my Sigs. The competition was fierce.
                                  The economy may have been better then!

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Beden

Where is the dealer I might be interested in the Signature Diamonds I have a room where every thing is white and they would work beautifully:T
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Wettou

You could buy John Lennons white piano and put the white Sig's all in the same room

Now that would be something.

I dunno, though, white speakes might be hard to sell the day you want to upgrade fast I would give a good think about it.

whereas cherrywood would go right away

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                        Wettou You could buy John Lennons white piano and put the white Sig's all in the same room Now that would be something. I dunno, though, white speakers might be hard to sell the day you want to upgrade fast I would give a good think about it. whereas cherry wood would go right away
                                        I still have old B&W603, I have a tendency just to move my older speakers to an other room. We have a fair amount of space, plus my kids are growing so someday they might want to listen to something else beside their ipods
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"