X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrWhite
    • Aug 2008

802D amp upgrade from rb-1080 to ??? for little $$$

Currently I have my pair of 802D's driven by a Rotel RB-1080. It works well enough but I have heard these speakers only get better as the available power on hand goes up. And, since I use them for both music and HT with no sub, I do get a little worried during longer, louder listening session and during demanding HT soundtracks.

I want to keep costs to a reasonable level. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Add another RB-1080 and vertically bi-amp. $1000 (new).

2. Trade up to an RB-1090. $2000 or so (used plus shipping/fees)

3. Buy a used pair of Bel Canto REF1000 monoblocks. $2500 (used plus shipping and fees)

With options 2 and 3 I can sell my RB-1080 to help offset upgrade costs.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion and especially would like to hear from those that have tried option 1.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You could "trade up" to an rb-1092. I use one to power my 802d's, and it seems very capable, especially considering the $$$.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

call me what you will, but I don't understand how you could justify the purchase of 802d speakers, but are going cheap on the amp... I'd save your money until you're ready to move up to a better quality amp. Another rotel will still sound the same.. just more of it.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
        call me what you will, but I don't understand how you could justify the purchase of 802d speakers, but are going cheap on the amp... I'd save your money until you're ready to move up to a better quality amp. Another rotel will still sound the same.. just more of it.
        That may be true, but for some the hobby is a journey - a journey with budget restrains.

As for Rotel amps, they're a quarter of the price of Classe, but definitely not 4 times worse sounding.

It would be easy to say "I don't understand how you can justify an expensive amp without decent speakers...", but everyone has to start somewhere. IMO the speaker is the most important component anyway. Its certainly the first thing my ear has contact with.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• MrWhite
          • Aug 2008

call me what you will, but I don't understand how you could justify the purchase of 802d speakers, but are going cheap on the amp...
          I understand your point but at the moment I cannot purchase a non-"cheap" amp. I found a sharp deal on some mint used 802D's and jumped at the chance to acquire speakers I had been lusting after for quite some time. My setup now sounds incredibly better than before I had the 802D's and I consider buying them money well spent, even if I end up taking quite a while to pair them with an amp that allows them to perform at their absolute best.

I'd save your money until you're ready to move up to a better quality amp. Another rotel will still sound the same.. just more of it.
          Understood but I am OK with that. I am reasonably content at this point and, if I chose option 1 or 2, I would be even more so with the piece of mind and performance benefits more headroom would provide at a modest cost.

I was under the impression the Bel Canto Ref1000 would be a better quality amp and also obviously give me the increased headroom I desire. Assuming you have auditioned the 802D's with the Bel Canto, would you agree?

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

MrWhite,

Of your listed options, I like #2 and #3. If you like the Rotel and 802D's general sound, I would also recommend the RB1092 ($2500). 500 watts times 2 for bass control would be pretty nice. Plus full warranty for 5 years.

I have had the class D amps. They are a very impressive package of performance and size.

If you want to wait and save some money, consider a used McIntosh. I am driving my 802D's with a Mac. A wonderful, smooth and powerful combination.

Since you have no sub, you want as much beef as you can get with the 802D's. They will put out the bass, but they need the power.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

MrWhite

Here is what I would do get a musical and powerfull sub like the JLAudio Fathom F113 or F212 and save your money on an amps like the Classé CA-2100. You can limit the 802 to 80HZ and save the bass for the sub. You will hear the har the detail like never before without breaking the bank.

Forget D Amplification with B&W 802D you are robing these speakers.

Then when you have the cash go for 800D and CA-M400 great combo and only $35000:T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• MrWhite
                • Aug 2008

Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the Mac's and would consider owning one or two in the future. But their models at the power levels I am after are a bit too pricey for me at the moment, even at used prices.

No can do on a subwoofer. Small(er) sized listening room that doubles as a living room with odd door locations and furniture in it that is not moving or changing any time soon. I have had a sub before when I had smaller mains and, while it was great for the wow factor on movies, I am more than content with the frequency range and output on sub-bass from the 802D's.

Comment

• Bluespower
                  • Sep 2005

Mr White,

I am/was very much in the same boat as you after having bought a pair of N802s last month. For that period I have been using my Rotel 1095 with adequate results. Today I placed an order with someone on AudiogoN for a 2nd hand McIntosh MC352. That amp with shipping will be a tad over $3,000. I also purchased a Rotel RMB-993 for my center and surrounds. After I sell my 1095, my out of pocket should be somewhere around $2,300. Not that $2,300 is chump-change, but it is a little easier to swallow than 5-10K for the amps frequently discussed here. Best of luck in your search...
                  Bluespower

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Bluespower
                    Mr White,

I am/was very much in the same boat as you after having bought a pair of N802s last month. For that period I have been using my Rotel 1095 with adequate results. Today I placed an order with someone on AudiogoN for a 2nd hand McIntosh MC352. That amp with shipping will be a tad over $3,000. I also purchased a Rotel RMB-993 for my center and surrounds. After I sell my 1095, my out of pocket should be somewhere around $2,300. Not that $2,300 is chump-change, but it is a little easier to swallow than 5-10K for the amps frequently discussed here. Best of luck in your search...

MrWhite,

That's what I'm talking about in terms of performance and price. And I'm sure Bluespower will be able to give us a review in a bit.

Bluespower,

Very nice snag. I want to get a 2 channel for my 802D's, but I need to recover from building the new HT room in the basement.

Keep us posted.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by MrWhite
                      Currently I have my pair of 802D's driven by a Rotel RB-1080. It works well enough but I have heard these speakers only get better as the available power on hand goes up. And, since I use them for both music and HT with no sub, I do get a little worried during longer, louder listening session and during demanding HT soundtracks.

I want to keep costs to a reasonable level. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Add another RB-1080 and vertically bi-amp. $1000 (new).

2. Trade up to an RB-1090. $2000 or so (used plus shipping/fees)

3. Buy a used pair of Bel Canto REF1000 monoblocks. $2500 (used plus shipping and fees)

With options 2 and 3 I can sell my RB-1080 to help offset upgrade costs.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion and especially would like to hear from those that have tried option 1.
                      Mr. White,

I have a mint pair of Bryston 7B ST's for sale. I was going to list them on Audiogon next week or so. Please feel free to email me through the forum. They will do what you are lookign for.

Comment

• mstang1988
                        • Jul 2008

I would go with used parasound JC-1's. Fantastic amps/dollar. About 3500-4000 for a pair of used monoblocks which is a bit more then the other options listed but for the extra 1000 you may never need to upgrade again.

Currently I have RB-1091 mono's. There is goods and bads, plenty of power but they seem a little sterile and the RB-1092 sounds the same to me. The JC1's would be a little warmer. I got my 1091's for 1600 used from somebody powering 802D's with them. He upgraded to classe and said he was able to hear very very little difference. He has sinced changed out his B&W's for other speakers.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

you can look at mcintosh mc352 nice amp which is near the price

Comment

• Ash
                            • Dec 2004

Also consider Bryston 4bsst. I'm using it with N800 and its driving them pritty well. Very nice detailed sound. I believe you can get it fo $2000 used.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

obviously everybody has their favorite amp company. be sure and demo whatever you buy first. If your dealer won't accomodate you, you might want a different dealer.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

obviously everybody has their favorite amp company. be sure and demo whatever you buy first. If your dealer won't accomodate you, you might want a different dealer.
                                Yes that is why there are so many companies...:B

Electrocompaniet Nemo 600 or on the cheap side but still very good Emotiva

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• iiaudio
                                  • Feb 2008

$500 worth of good room treatments will be a bigger improvement over any amp upgrade one can do.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by iiaudio
                                    $500 worth of good room treatments will be a bigger improvement over any amp upgrade one can do.

Just my 2 cents
                                    Yes agreed we are all trying to constantly upgrade but few of us myself included want to spend to much time and money improving our rooms!

I am seriously thinking of have Rives Audio take a look at my room and design/and make recommendation for acoustic designs. Auralex Elite seems cool as well but I heard they are super pricey!

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"