X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baby fat
    • Sep 2008

Arcam diva A90 with CDM NT1s

Ive tried posting in the electronics thread but didn't get any replies so I'm creating a new thread. Hope that's OK, I just found this forum yesterday so I'm not sure about how you apply the rules for posting.

I have recently bought a pair of pre owned CDM NT1s for what I concider a bargain price. They are my first step into the "real" hifi world (according to my standards) and I'm planning to also get a new integrated amplifier (stereo) and CD, also pre owned. My eyes have fallen on the Arcam diva A90, and I'm going to check it out in a couple of hours from now. I would really appreciate some feedback about this combo from someone that has a better insight in this world than me ;x(

If it's of any importance, the speakers will stand in a relatively small room (about 25 sqm) without any fancier cabeling and not bi-wired. I will mainly play CDs, mostly acuostic music. I'm not an audiofile but have a genuine interest in music and look for a detailed sound (but mainly of course I just want it to sound nice to my ears, hard to give an objective advice about...).
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

To be honest I haven't heard the Arcam unit in question, but Arcam is a company with a good reputation, and the specs on that integrated look good. I would expect it to sound great with your speakers.

It's a nice looking unit, too!

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Well I guess Baby Fat has now checked out his Arcam and knows more than other forum members regarding the synergy of this combo.

Care to share your experience BF? I'm interested to hear how things went.

Arcam is not a common brand on this forum. In fact I am surprised at the limited number of brands used with B&W speakers. Hearing Rotel, Classe etc etc all the time is almost as dull as Ford V Holden car discussions in Australia (nb this is not to say that they are not great to listen to etc, I am thinking more about the variety of gear that is out there as a source of interesting discussion). What I would love to hear about is how a Opera-Consonance Forbidden City Calaf amp (or similarly different amp) works with B&W.

I never fail to be amazed that Conrad Johnson does not figure on this forum (except when I bang on about it, I know), not even on people's audition lists. Its American so it should be widely available in the US and I love mine with the 804s. Just upgraded the speaker cable last weekend and it is a truely wonderful combination in my opinion (based on my setup and room).

PS I should qualify my comments above. There is a sticky thread at the top that shows there is some variety out there. As a regular reader it would be interesting to hear about these other brands more often. :T
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        Well I guess Baby Fat has now checked out his Arcam and knows more than other forum members regarding the synergy of this combo.

Care to share your experience BF? I'm interested to hear how things went.

Arcam is not a common brand on this forum. In fact I am surprised at the limited number of brands used with B&W speakers. Hearing Rotel, Classe etc etc all the time is almost as dull as Ford V Holden car discussions in Australia (nb this is not to say that they are not great to listen to etc, I am thinking more about the variety of gear that is out there as a source of interesting discussion). What I would love to hear about is how a Opera-Consonance Forbidden City Calaf amp (or similarly different amp) works with B&W.

I never fail to be amazed that Conrad Johnson does not figure on this forum (except when I bang on about it, I know), not even on people's audition lists. Its American so it should be widely available in the US and I love mine with the 804s. Just upgraded the speaker cable last weekend and it is a truely wonderful combination in my opinion (based on my setup and room).

PS I should qualify my comments above. There is a sticky thread at the top that shows there is some variety out there. As a regular reader it would be interesting to hear about these other brands more often. :T
        good points briz, there are some lovely brands of quality gear out htere we should hear more about and wish people would give a go. people a bit cautious I guess and prefer to stick to what they know. better the devil you know perhaps but I for one always keen to hear when someone explores somthing off the beaten track

the arcam would work jsut a beauty with the CDM NT1's I reckon BF. best perhaps to do as you are and have a listen to the combo to make sure the style of sound they bring together is to your liking as that kind of thing always down to personal preference.

as far as the arcam A90 itself I can say it is a very competant 2ch integrated and woudl have sufficient power to drive the B&Ws pretty well and with a quality of sound that would do them justice. Its fully featured with even a processor mode which works like a htbypass meaning you can integrate pefectly easily with a ht system if you have a combined 2ch-ht setup.

all you need now is a nice arcam CD player like a CD73T and youd have a really beaut 2ch setup I reckon
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

The local dealer used to carry Arcam and I heard 805s with an Arcam FMJ pre, power and CD player. Great combo. I was very impressed.

I just bought an Arcam tuner. It will be here in a week. I hope that it lives up to its reputation.

Comment

• Russ L
            • Jul 2006

Arcam have low watt ratings. People on this forum aren't comfortable driving their B&Ws, etc. with only 70, 85, 100W/ch altho its the continuous current ratings that really matter. A friend drives his large Acoustic Zen Adagios with a 40 watt McIntosh tube amp with NP. Especially if you listen at reasonable dBs. Looked and listened to Arcam but went with Creek Amps. Less expensive and sounded as good. By the way Briz, both Arcam and Creek sound great thru B&Ws. There are alot of excellent choices besides Rotel and Classe.

While the sound is incredible, Classe doesn't sell very well in these parts because its unique look is designed to make you want to get all Classe components to match. Its the rounded fronts and touch displays They look out of place with other gear. Most just want their amps. People just won't bite on that idea and are looking for choice.

Sure wish Conrad Johnson was available for demo at a local dealer. :cry:
            Russ

Comment

• baby fat
              • Sep 2008

Thank you for all comments (even if I didn't get a chance to read them until now). I went to listen to the amp, and bought it. All set up at home I'm really happy with the outcome. It certainly makes a huge difference for the sound of the speakers, but considering my old reciever I'm comparing to anything else would be close to outragous...

My one concern I had beforehand, the bass of the CDMs, is no longer a concern. Of course it's not deeep (even if it's a lot deeper than what I would believe beforehand), but really tight and "punchy". And I'm busy experiencing all the details in my CD-collection in a new way :B When it comes to the character of the amp, I don't really have enough experince listening toi different ones to give a fair review. But what matters to me - I like it!

Alebonau: Actually, I also got a CD-player that a friend could pick up for me (too far away from here). I'ts an Arcam CD62, not top of the line but good enough for me.

In total I'm super happy to have been able to quickly put together a really nice sounding combo with stuff that looks completely new (even if of course the electronics in particular degrade over time) for 1/3 of the retailprice.

Two problems remain though:
              1) the amp is black, the cd-player is silver ops: . I got such a good price for the cd-player I had to go for it (and ok - I was a bit anxious to get everything together) but I might keep an eye out for one in black.

2) Cabeling. I know this is not the place to discuss that, though. Mine are really low end with hifhi measures, but I think I'll stick with them and just get some connectors for amp and speaker. I have enough speaker cable to bi-wire. And even if I said I wouldn't in my original post, I might just try it out.

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by baby fat
                Thank you for all comments (even if I didn't get a chance to read them until now). I went to listen to the amp, and bought it. All set up at home I'm really happy with the outcome. It certainly makes a huge difference for the sound of the speakers, but considering my old reciever I'm comparing to anything else would be close to outragous...

My one concern I had beforehand, the bass of the CDMs, is no longer a concern. Of course it's not deeep (even if it's a lot deeper than what I would believe beforehand), but really tight and "punchy". And I'm busy experiencing all the details in my CD-collection in a new way :B When it comes to the character of the amp, I don't really have enough experince listening toi different ones to give a fair review. But what matters to me - I like it!

Alebonau: Actually, I also got a CD-player that a friend could pick up for me (too far away from here). I'ts an Arcam CD62, not top of the line but good enough for me.

In total I'm super happy to have been able to quickly put together a really nice sounding combo with stuff that looks completely new (even if of course the electronics in particular degrade over time) for 1/3 of the retailprice.

1) the amp is black, the cd-player is silver ops: . I got such a good price for the cd-player I had to go for it (and ok - I was a bit anxious to get everything together) but I might keep an eye out for one in black.

2) Cabeling. I know this is not the place to discuss that, though. Mine are really low end with hifhi measures, but I think I'll stick with them and just get some connectors for amp and speaker. I have enough speaker cable to bi-wire. And even if I said I wouldn't in my original post, I might just try it out.
                congratulations bf ! the arcam 62 will do very nicely I'm thinking with nice synergies with the a90 integrated !

I long gave up in colour matching :B a bit of mix and match in my setup from silver to black to champagne gold all works gloriously in harmony together hehe

just turn the lights down, kick back, close your eyes and enjoy the music
                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• baby fat
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by alebonau
                  congratulations bf ! the arcam 62 will do very nicely I'm thinking with nice synergies with the a90 integrated !

I long gave up in colour matching :B a bit of mix and match in my setup from silver to black to champagne gold all works gloriously in harmony together hehe

just turn the lights down, kick back, close your eyes and enjoy the music
                  Thank you! That's just what I'll do. Except for the lights; it's bright morning here (CET time)

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

1) the amp is black, the cd-player is silver.
                    Once you've got some good music on that becomes largely irrelevant surely?

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

You mean you shouldn't mix champagne and black? I mix colours and I quite like the look.

I prefer silver/champagne but Naim comes in any colour so long as it is black and their look works for me also. I think the Marantz receiver in black does not look as good. (re photo - I still need some cheap dark coloured towels as my DIY treatment behind the speakers - white sticks out too much and was originally only a "proof of concept" solution)
                      Attached Files
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

Great news baby fat! The Arcam is a solid unit and their CD players are 1st rate.

I mix silver and black. I think it looks better than all one or the other.

A well designed amp with a good reserve of current sure can handle those bass notes. I really noticed the difference when I upgraded from my Rotel receiver. Enjoy the detail :T
                        Russ

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                          • Jun 2006

I just received my Arcam tuner a few days ago. Big improvement. The 800's made the old one sound thin with a compressed soundstage. The Arcan T61 has a nice mellow bass and really wide soundstage. Not as good as CD's or vinyl, but much better and very listenable. Some stations actually sound very good (must be higher resolution).

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"