X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

Whoopee! N802s - In the House

After several years of lusting, I've finally scored my dream speakers. Last week I took delivery of a beautiful pair of red cherry N802s.

A pair became available locally (10 miles) in the color, condition and price I've been hoping for. My wife reluctantly agreed to the purchase after I swore a blood oath not to go speaker shopping again for at least three years (I think I CAN keep this promise). She not so affectionately refers to them as my bowling balls.

These are replacing a pair of 804S and are complimented by an HTM1 and a pair of N805. For the time being my major electronics are a Rotel RSP-1068 / ModWright SWL 9.0SE (for 2-chan) feeding a Rotel RMB-1095. Future plans are to replace these with something on the order of a McIntosh C45 / MC352 and perhaps a Rotel RMB-993 (for center and surrounds).

Even with my mid-fi gear these sound fine. The soundstage they throw is like nothing I've ever experienced in my home.

Sorry for rambling... I just needed to share my excitement with others in the group.
    Attached Files
    Bluespower
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hey,

Welcome... They look sweet..

And as you know... Soooo many oportunties to upgrade other things now...

Amps... Source, pre-amp, CD players, cables...

Years of fun! Still with the same speakers (so the promise to your wife is kept!)

Geoff

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Contgratulations on the Eight oh Two's! Very nice.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Totally superb, Bluespower!

Enjoy :T

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

Thanxabunch...
          Bluespower

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bluespower
            She not so affectionately refers to them as my bowling balls..
            In the dark, where you can only see their silhouette, my wife says they look like 5-year-olds.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Congrats Bluespower!!!!

When we have another Pittsburgh Audio Group meet you will have to bring them over! :P ha ha j/k

They look really nice. Let me know when you want to go to 802Ds, I take those ones off of you. :T
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Congrats. Nautilus are the best deal around and my personal choice.

Comment

• dknightd
                  • Mar 2006

enjoy

Comment

• Bluespower
                    • Sep 2005

All,

Thanks again...

DM3000 Owner,

I think you're right on the money. At one third the cost for ninety percent of the performance, I think I'm going to be one happy fellow. My savings will go a long way towards the end goal.

I know it's been said time and again, but I am hearing things in my recordings that I have never heard before. Today I listened to the two channel mix of American Beauty on DVD-A. Some of Jerry's subtle guitar/mandolin work was astounding and the harmonies almost angelic.
                    Bluespower

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

You make me want to go out and buy a pair (since I've always wanted 802/800). But I know I have to wait until I move again. Congratulations!
                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Got to stop reading this forum. I was completely happy with my 804s - then I read about someone getting a great deal on N802 and I start thinking "hey I don't really need all of my bodily organs - some are quite over rated".

Wait a minute, 1/3 the Aussie price would make them...........Ffffffffff.........thats the price of the 804s new.

Fact is we have a much smaller market in Australia so the price would not be as good and second hand is super rare.

Anyway I really like my system so I will content myself by vicariously enjoying your new red speakers (why did they drop that colour).

They would sound heaps better on my system by the way :-).........in my lounge room too.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• tmt
                          • Jan 2005

Bluespower, I know how you feel, because a few years ago I did the same thing.
                          I bought a pair of new 802s for 50% of the retail price when the new range came out. I'm still happy I did it.

My wife calls them the star-wars speakers

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by tmt
                            Bluespower, I know how you feel, because a few years ago I did the same thing.
                            I bought a pair of new 802s for 50% of the retail price when the new range came out. I'm still happy I did it.

My wife calls them the star-wars speakers
                            I told my wife that my old N801's looked like R2D2 knocked up a washing machine.

Comment

• kmcheng
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Bluespower
                              My wife reluctantly agreed to the purchase after I swore a blood oath not to go speaker shopping again for at least three years (I think I CAN keep this promise). She not so affectionately refers to them as my bowling balls.
                              Last year, after I got five M-1's, I swore that I would not buy any more audio stuffs (speakers, amp, etc.) for at least three years. Since then, I have had to make the same promise every three months, because every three months or so I came across something either at the dealer or on Audiogon that I found hard to resist.

Best of luck on keeping your promise! I hope you are stronger than I am, or you can keep promising.

Comment

• wgriel
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by kmcheng
                                Last year, after I got five M-1's, I swore that I would not buy any more audio stuffs (speakers, amp, etc.) for at least three years. Since then, I have had to make the same promise every three months, because every three months or so I came across something either at the dealer or on Audiogon that I found hard to resist.

Best of luck on keeping your promise! I hope you are stronger than I am, or you can keep promising.
                                Heh, it's really difficult isn't it? Presently finances are keeping me from spending anything, though I have a couple of modest upgrades to make to get a system that I can hopefully leave alone for, oh, a year or two.

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Welcome to the club

Bluespower,

Welcome to the 802 club. You will love them. They do sound very nice with good equipment like Rotel. I initially drove my 802D's with Rotel, and it was very good. Then I went to McIntosh. The 802D's in turn went from very good to awesome. If you land an amp like the 352, the 802s will do wondrous things for you, especially if you also have a high quality pre-amp as well. Happy hunting.

PS. I made a similar committment to my wife about not shopping for speakers. She refers to our 802D's as the 'Dolly Partons'.

Comment

• Russ L
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                    I told my wife that my old N801's looked like R2D2 knocked up a washing machine.
                                    :roflmao:

So R2s working for B&W now.

Wives call speakers alot of different things don't they? Fortunately mine only talks about them when she wants the volume cranked up. :dance:
                                    Russ

Comment

• Bluespower
                                      • Sep 2005

Russ_L

Where did you fine a woman that asks for the volume to be turned up? I saved this from a few years ago for a product called the She-Mote:

Introducing the new She-Mote remote control (tm) from Liberalco.

The She-Mote (tm) is a newly released remote control specifically designed for women in a home theater environment. As every person of "progressive thought" knows to be natural fact, (just like more taxes are better) the audio/video industry and home theater hobby intentially oppresses and purposefully excludes womyn. (the more accurate and politically correct spelling for the fairer sex)

Now to cater to downtrodden womyn, Liberalco now introduces the new She-Mote (tm) with the following features:

- available only in pastel colors that no man knows or can pronounce, such as maize, puce, and periwinkle
                                      - many buttons only confuse and clutter traditional he-mote controls, so the She-mote minimizes with a few select buttons
                                      - there is no use for a "volume up" button, so a She-Mote features only a "volume down" button reducing levels to a barely audible setting, eliminating any need for the constant demand of "TURN THAT THING DOWN!"
                                      - similarly, there is no use for channel and number buttons, so the She-Mote has one channel toggle button to cycle between The Learning Channel, HGTV, Oxygen, Women's Entertainment, and select network shows like Desperate Housewives, Extreme Makeover, Oprah, the Bachelor, Miss America, and of course any ice-skating competition anywhere in the world.
                                      - naturally, any channel or show even hinting of testosterone, such as the Speed channel, Sci-Fi, Comedy channel, or ESPN is automatically blocked.
                                      - enjoying any audio/video material in the dark is simply stupid, so the She-Mote produces more than adequate room lighting on its own so that you can enjoy your Women's Day magazine during any show. Being able to see your actual video display is completely unnecessary, of course.
                                      - employing a miniature electro-magnetic pulse generator mimicking a nuclear detonation, She-Motes render all audio-video equipment completely inoperable during March Madness, college bowl season, World Series, and the Stanley Cup, NBA, and NFL playoffs.
                                      - She-Motes offer special time-shifting control, so that when your male companion says "there's only 15 minutes left in the football game", or "I'll be there in a minute", all operations do automatically cease at the stated time.
                                      - with the available Man-Leash (tm) accessory, any scenes that may appear with partial female nudity will automatically cause the Man-Leash to flip up blinders over your male companion's eyes, removing the need for you to do so with your hands to retain control over your companion. Of course, partial male nudity has no effect. In fact, it is encouraged.
                                      - Man-Leashes (tm) also incorporate a tactile-transducer-like device that when activated by the She-Mote will deliver a moderate electrical shock to your male companion. This is particularly useful in keeping your male companion alert during long necessary expositions on your problems and feelings, getting him up to do the chore that you want done RIGHT THIS VERY INSTANT, or making him get his own damn beer.
                                      - with the push of a button, cloaking devices instantly hide all nearby speakers, wires, and audio equipment. Pressing twice will instantly cover everything in sight with furniture polish and cause green plants to appear on all horizontal surfaces.
                                      - incorporating the next generation of caller-ID functions, the Mother-In-Law summoning button will cause your obnoxious family members to call right in the middle of your male companion's favorite scene or a critical sporting moment. This will bring you limitless pleasure, and you are welcome to talk to your mom as loudly and as long as you desire during the show.
                                      - every girly girl needs candles, so the She-Mote also has a lighter wand with enough power to light more candles than a Roman Catholic prayer shrine.
                                      - all She-motes come with RF transmission as standard, to offer complete control over male-operated components from anywhere in the house.
                                      - of course, all She-Mote commands automatically override attempts to use a standard he-mote. We know who's really in charge.
                                      Bluespower

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                        Wives call speakers alot of different things don't they? Fortunately mine only talks about them when she wants the volume cranked up.
                                        Interesting Lucky B :B
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"