X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msm
    • Aug 2008

should I upgrade to the 802 or 800's?

I currently have the 803D and really like them for their size and look, but I have the opportunity to upgrade them to either the 802D or the 800D.

I have always liked the 802's except for the look and the 800's except for the fact that they will need mono blocks over a CA-5200.

Do you think the move is worth it? I would prefer to go right to the 800D as I would not need to upgrade anymore after that but the additional Classe CA-M400 (or Mcintosh, can't really decide yet) amp really adds up to a system with not a lot of space for additional gear, unless I can figure out a way to fit everything.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by msm
    I currently have the 803D and really like them for their size and look, but I have the opportunity to upgrade them to either the 802D or the 800D.

I have always liked the 802's except for the look and the 800's except for the fact that they will need mono blocks over a CA-5200.

Do you think the move is worth it? I would prefer to go right to the 800D as I would not need to upgrade anymore after that but the additional Classe CA-M400 (or Mcintosh, can't really decide yet) amp really adds up to a system with not a lot of space for additional gear, unless I can figure out a way to fit everything.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you currently have a classe 5200 amp.

If you feel that you would regret getting the 802d's over the 800d's, you could still go with the 800d's and when finances permit, upgrade your amps if you wanted to. The 5200 will do fine with the 800d's, its just the M400's would be better.

Or, perhaps you could get a cheaper amp, such as a rotel, to cover the surround speakers, and biamp the 5200 to give more power to the 800d's.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• msm
      • Aug 2008

Yes, I already have the 5200. Really the biggest issue with additional amps, is the lack of space in my area and rack. As much as I would love the 800's I really do not see them fitting unless there is an amp that can carry it along with my center and rears as a final solution.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

have you looked at the rotel 1085 for your surrounds? I am using it and it works great. It is only 1U and 5 channels.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by msm
          I currently have the 803D and really like them for their size and look, but I have the opportunity to upgrade them to either the 802D or the 800D. I have always liked the 802's except for the look and the 800's except for the fact that they will need mono blocks over a CA-5200. Do you think the move is worth it? I would prefer to go right to the 800D as I would not need to upgrade anymore after that but the additional Classe CA-M400 (or Mcintosh, can't really decide yet) amp really adds up to a system with not a lot of space for additional gear, unless I can figure out a way to fit everything.
          If you have the finance go for the the 800D and use your 5200 then in a few years get an other 5200 and you can bi-amp
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• worldys
            • Dec 2005

800D

i have had the 803D, 802N and the 800D, listened to the 802D but have not owned it, the 800D is such a well balanced speaker that seems to do everything right, it was more forgiving of poor room acoustics than the other speakers, bass was very low but still fast and clean, midrange was more vivid, it is worth the extra investment, i agree with the others who suggested if you buy the 802D you will be quickly regretting you didn't get the 800D

good luck making the right decision

Comment

• Relentless
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by worldys
              800D

i agree with the others who suggested if you buy the 802D you will be quickly regretting you didn't get the 800D

good luck making the right decision
              go right for the 800D's, otherwise it will eat at you and end up costing more in the end.
              I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
              Lou

Comment

• msm
                • Aug 2008

Well after re-working the entire set-up, I think I have found a way to fit the 800D and amps. I am thinking about using the Classe 5200 to power the center and rears and the CA-M5400 to power the 800D's unless I go the Mac route and pick up a pair of MC501's.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"