805S as mains-- which speakers complete the 5.1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bitece
    • Mar 2005

805S as mains-- which speakers complete the 5.1?

I'm looking to purchase the 805S as mains and I am requesting some advice in regards to pairing the 805's with a center, side surrounds and subwoofer.
    Center channel--HTM4S or a third 805S?
    Surrounds--I don't listen to SACD--the surrounds are just for movies. I'm hoping for a pair to mount to the wall that are less than $2000/pair.
    Subwoofer--Are the B&W's worth the price? The 800 series starts at $2200. Would anyone recommend a different manufacturer for the sub?
  • JCL
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bitece
    I'm looking to purchase the 805S as mains and I am requesting some advice in regards to pairing the 805's with a center, side surrounds and subwoofer.
    Center channel--HTM4S or a third 805S?
    Surrounds--I don't listen to SACD--the surrounds are just for movies. I'm hoping for a pair to mount to the wall that are less than $2000/pair.
    Subwoofer--Are the B&W's worth the price? The 800 series starts at $2200. Would anyone recommend a different manufacturer for the sub?
    A lot of questions, but that is ok!

In HT there are a few "rules" more like guidlines. One on them is that all the speakers are the same. Your surround image if you like must be the same for front, rear and center. How do you get this? Buy the same speakers. But you want wall-mounts. I would look for the diplo (is that an English word?) setups from the 800 of Nautilus series. I have not got a cleu to what they would cost.

A brand for subs? You should really listen to REL, take a ST moddel. I would suggest a Stadium or a Storm. You need a good and big one to be a good match for the 805 witch because of its size can't get so deap as the other floorstanders in the Nautilus / 800 range. I never heard the ASW models of B&W but I know that a few years ago (4 / 5) they were not as good as REL but I also heared that they are now mutch better. Just go listening and find uit what you like. By the way, what will you use to amp it?

Hope to be of help.

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

If you are using the 5.1 system for a home theater, usually you would want a HTM4 so that speaker can be easily situated above or below the screen. If it is feasible to place another 805 in your room for the center channel (if you have a perforated projection screen), go for it, but I think the sonic benefits over the HTM4 would be negligible.

For surrounds, if wall mounting is a requirement, I would go for the SCMs. However, the new models are $2500 a pair, so you might look for a used pair of the older SCM1s ($1500-1600). For less money you could pick up a used pair of the older CDM-SNT wall-mounted surrounds (around $800), but you would be sacrificing driver matching.

I use a SVS Subwoofer for my home theater (804 and HTM1). They have models starting under $500. Their Plus and Ultra line of tube subwoofers are great performers. I have a SVS PC-Ultra that I bought new for about $1200. I auditioned the B&W subs and they were impressive, but the fancy cabinet and name drive up the price. They are quite fetching, but it wasn't worth it for me.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"