X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tommy
    • Dec 2006

805S positioning

I had the 805S for more than 2 years now. They are great little speakers. :T
    Now I'm trying to get the most out of them by tweaking their position. How do you guys position your 805S? I have them about 16 inches from the back wall and toe-in so the tweeters cross at about 2 feet behind me. They are 8 feet apart and 10 feet to the listening position.

I'm thinking about bringing them out a bit more from the wall to enhance soundstage depth (I may loose some bass though). This will also allow a more equilateral triangle configuration.
    Last edited by Tommy; 16 June 2008, 22:52 Monday.
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Go for it! :T

Comment

• Marco Lisi
      • May 2008

Hello Tommy

I used the 805S for a while and found it to be a very nice speaker indeed!

Mine were about 1 meter from the back of the wall and 0.5 meter from the sides. I experimented with "toe-in", but decided to position them right at front.

This setup gave me the most depth in the soundstage and the best imaging.

Hope this helps...

:T
      Diamond Room
      Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• Tommy
        • Dec 2006

Thanks!
        Marco Lisi: How far are you sitting from your "old" 805S without toe-in?

Comment

• Marco Lisi
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Tommy
          Thanks!
          Marco Lisi: How far are you sitting from your "old" 805S without toe-in?
          Hi Tommy

Speakers were about 2.5m apart and I was sitting about 4 meters from the speakers.

Greetings

Diamond Room
          Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• Tommy
            • Dec 2006

Thanks Marco Lisi. I'll start experimenting once my new power strip and cords arrive.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Depends on what you prefer. Trust me, I get EXTREMELY nerdy when it comes to positioning my 805's. Last night I used a lazer to guide the tweeter's tube to point exactly to where my head is located (X is marked on the wall). It's THAT bad. ha ha

I found both have a trade off. My speakers are in a close to perfect triangle from my listening position.
              - If I toe them so that they are pointly directly to me, listening to any music, the image of the singer sounds so real as if they are really there. However, I can kind of draw a line as to how wide the stage stays open for the rest of the music.
              - If I point them straight out, the soundstage is obviously wide, but the singer just sounds like it's part of the music, and not really THERE in your room.
              - I prefer to have them about 15-20 degrees from straight out. This way the tweeters are basically point to about the edge of your shoulders. For music, it gives a nice soundstage and also brings out the singer a bit more 3D than straight out. The reason I prefer it like this though is because movies don't sound too great with it toe'ed in so much. And I don't like it straight because without a center channel, dialog sounds like it's just anyway. It's not direction... and it should be in movies.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ken49r
                • Dec 2007

My 805S's are 7 1/2 ft apart. Listening position is 8ft. from center ch. Toe in is 2 1/2 ft. on each side of me.
                Basically I use a small 6ft. couch and have the speakers toed in towards the armrests on each side. Gives a nice open sound stage and the speakers disappear in 2 ch. Good setting as well for HT with the slight toe in. This way I don't have to move the speakers every time for 2ch and HT listening.

Comment

• Tommy
                  • Dec 2006

I found that when I moved the speakers further to the front (forming an equilateral triangle), imaging improved, especially depth-wise. However, music seemed to move forward as well, more in-you-face. I'm trying to get used to this sound, but I found that I get listening fatigue more often with the new position.
                  Time will tell.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

The more breathing space you give them, the closer the speakers will get to reaching their deepest and clearest soundstage.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Tommy
                      • Dec 2006

Thanks for all the input guys/gals!
                      I'm actually in the process of acquiring a pair of 802D and trading off my 805S and N804. It's going to be bitter sweet as I really love the 805S. But 802D is just so much more. I think it'll be a revelation :T

Comment

• Ken49r
                        • Dec 2007

I found that when I moved the speakers further to the front (forming an equilateral triangle), imaging improved, especially depth-wise. However, music seemed to move forward as well, more in-you-face. I'm trying to get used to this sound, but I found that I get listening fatigue more often with the new position.
                        Time will tell.

What electronics are you running the 805s on? Since you have a McIntosh avatar on your profile I find it hard to believe the 805s would cause listener fatigue paired with McIntosh gear.
                        If so have you looked at room acoustics as being the problem?

I'm actually in the process of acquiring a pair of 802D and trading off my 805S and N804. It's going to be bitter sweet as I really love the 805S. But 802D is just so much more. I think it'll be a revelation

Would love to see pictures.

Comment

• Tommy
                          • Dec 2006

I'm only using McIntosh (MVP871) as a source. Pre and power amp are Luxman.

I'm still in negotiation. If I can get a good price for the old B&W, I'll trade them. ah.. patience

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

I'm actually in the process of acquiring a pair of 802D and trading off my 805S and N804. It's going to be bitter sweet as I really love the 805S. But 802D is just so much more. I think it'll be a revelation :T
                            The 802Ds are also going to need an expensive commitment of electronics. You're going to need ample power of at least 300-400 watts per channel from an amp that can double from 8ohms to 4 ohms, and you're also going to need a good pre-amp. Ideally, these speakers really need the most quality power you can provide them in order to get what they can give.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                              The 802Ds are also going to need an expensive commitment of electronics. You're going to need ample power of at least 300-400 watts per channel from an amp that can double from 8ohms to 4 ohms, and you're also going to need a good pre-amp. Ideally, these speakers really need the most quality power you can provide them in order to get what they can give.
                              Well I power my 802Ds with Classé CA-5200 200W/Channel and that works wonders.
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Tommy
                                • Dec 2006

Agreed, high-powered amps can unleash 802D's full potential. This doesn't mean lower-powered amps won't make music. Anyway, if I do upgrade to 802D, pre and poweramps will have to wait. No budget for everything. I'm actually thinking about using tubes in mono configuration, but this may change.

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                  Well I power my 802Ds with Classé CA-5200 200W/Channel and that works wonders.
                                  Instead of having a combination of five 802D's and N802's, I bet they would have sounded amazing with just two or three 802D's in your beautiful room, if you provided them with the proper power.

Try powering them with the CAM-400's and you'll hear what I mean. There is no substitute for power. You will hear your 802Ds sound wonderful, and how they were intended to reproduce music.

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Agreed, high-powered amps can unleash 802D's full potential. This doesn't mean lower-powered amps won't make music. Anyway, if I do upgrade to 802D, pre and poweramps will have to wait. No budget for everything. I'm actually thinking about using tubes in mono configuration, but this may change.
                                    I think the 802D's are great speakers. I am only saying to be prepared to make the financial commitment either now or down the road, to spend some money on equipment that brings out their full potential.

I've been reading too many wishful thinking posts for a while from those who have not made those investments, but want you to believe that everything is just wonderful in the land of Oz.

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Instead of having a combination of five 802D's and N802's, I bet they would have sounded amazing with just two or three 802D's in your beautiful room, if you provided them with the proper power. Try powering them with the CAM-400's and you'll hear what I mean. There is no substitute for power. You will hear your 802Ds sound wonderful, and how they were intended to reproduce music.
                                      Well I had purchased the two 802N seven years ago. Late last year I decided to get three 802D since I love multichannel SACD Classical music and great action movies.

The reason, I got a CA-5200 is that next year, the economy depending I can get an other one and bi-amp my speakers then that will give me the 400W. :E
                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Tommy
                                        • Dec 2006

Yes, absolutely. I will not purchase an expensive speaker and skimp on power.
                                        When budget comes, I'll feed them ample powers

I think buying a 5200 now and adding another in the future is a smart move. You get to eat the cake now, then get a bigger cake when you have enough cash :T

Comment

• wgriel
                                          • May 2006

I think buying a 5200 now and adding another in the future is a smart move. You get to eat the cake now, then get a bigger cake when you have enough cash :T

I like that! That's more or less the way I do things.

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
                                            :T I like that! That's more or less the way I do things.
                                            wgriel, Tommy

Gracias, I try not live above my means, so when I buy something I want to know that I can afford it

Comment

• Ken49r
                                              • Dec 2007

Yes, absolutely. I will not purchase an expensive speaker and skimp on power.
                                              When budget comes, I'll feed them ample powers

Interesting upgrade path.
                                              You already have a great speaker in the 805s. Wouldn't it suit better to upgrade amp/pre before purchasing the 802D? That would solve the 805 positioning problem originally asked in this thread.

The reason I ask is because I previously upgraded from 704 to 805s on Rotel electronics and the 704 sounded better than the 805s do. The 805s sound their best on Classe & McIntosh. The only reason I upgraded speakers before electronics was because of the time limit running out on the trade up offered by my dealer.

I think the 802D's are great speakers. I am only saying to be prepared to make the financial commitment either now or down the road, to spend some money on equipment that brings out their full potential.

I've been reading too many wishful thinking posts for a while from those who have not made those investments, but want you to believe that everything is just wonderful in the land of Oz.
                                              I have to agree with beden1 that the amp/pre used will make a world of difference how the speaker opens up. The character will sound flat instead of airy,open, and 3D.
                                              The difference is hearing the speaker play music vs putting the artist in the room with you.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"