X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaxTimeOff
    • Jan 2005

Advice on B&W rears for small HT

I am not an hi-fi aficionado but bought the following setup about eight years ago (at the behest of a friend). The following equipment has been in a seldom used TV room where we have not really appreciated its capabilities. We occasionally fire up the TV but often do not turn on the other sound components. Here's what we have:

B&W Power subwoofer - V75 MK2
    B&W (2) DM 601's speakers with stands
    B&W CC#6 center channel speaker
    Yamaha RX-V692 receiver.

We also have a DVD player and CD player but we'll replace those with the latest and greatest.

I am planning to move everything to a 10' x 11' room that will be a dedicated media room featuring a 50" HD plasma. I want to create a surround sound so I think I will need some additional speakers to mount on the wall/ceiling for the rears. I am planning to use the existing speakers for the fronts and center.

Now for the questions. What (B&W) speakers should I get for the wall/ceiling rears? I don't want to use the 601's for the rears as they are too big, need some small "Bose size" (pardon that) wall mount speakers. Also, will that Yamaha do or should I replace it? It has hardly been used and I would like to use it if it would push all these speakers.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MaxTimeOff

B&W Power subwoofer - V75 MK2
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Max,

You have a few choices.

B&W have some nice ceiling speakers such as the CCM 65 and CCM 80 you may want to consider.

Wall mounts there are the DS6 dipoles...

If you want small white speakers there are the LM1s

You could also consider the 600S3s

See you dealer re these options..

The B&W Web site has more details on all of them....

Geoff

Comment

• bcgator
      • Nov 2004

Max, I'm going to make a suggestion that may save you some money. I have a small room like you, with a pair of B&W 805 Signatures up front with an HTM2 center.

I needed rears as well, for surround sound. But didn't see a point in spending big money for a small room. So I took a chance on a pair of Wharfedale WH-2 dipole surrounds. Don't laugh....but they only cost $89 per pair, shipping included, from Bestbuyplasma.com. You can get them in maple, white and black.

I bought them figuring, if they suck really bad I'm only out $89. Pretty low risk purchase. Would you believe they actually sound really good? I was completely surprised, and I kept them. Their build quality is outstanding, they look more like $300 speakers than $89 speakers. And they sound very nice. Trust me, you're going to be very skeptical...I sure was. But you may also be ask shocked as me.

I know you asked specifically for B&W speakers, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there. They work great for me. And they may save you some money, that you could spend on other things. Don't forget, in a surround sound system, there's not as much information coming from the rear channels so you don't need to spend a ton of money for nice sound from the rear.

BCGator

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"