X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

Emotiva XPA-5 - this Amp is the real deal

Awhile back I wrote about My experience with a Emotiva XPA-5 Amp thru a McIntosh MX135. Well I just bought a Yamaha 863 Reciever to do all the new codecs for the Movies side in my Home Theater. What I did was run the YAPO Auto calibrate function for SPL and EQ. Hooked up the Yammy to the emotiva thru B&W 805s fronts. Used a little thing on the Yammy called pure for 2-Channel from a CD player. I am now convinced that this little 5 channel amp is Just a Killer at any price. Boy's I'm telling ya if you don't give this little amp a look you are making a big mistake. Now this is coming from a man who has been running McIntosh MC 501's on some B&W 802D's. Hell no its not as good but it's not $8000.00 either. At $861.00 shipped to your house with a 5 yr warranty. I know now it is one of the best overall deals out there. Just get ready. They make a two-channel thats not out yet but when it comes out I'm getting One. Just to try it.
    P.S. Take a moment and read my previous post: A Rare Combo Find
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Glenee, congrats on the new gear and discovery!

I don't own B&W, McIntosh or for that matter, any upper end gear. I do however own an LPA-1. And since adding it to my system, have been singing the same praises as you.

I as well as many others, have been pleasently surprised at what you can get performance wise out of Emovita. Especially at it's cost point. It has made me re-evaluate how I look at future audio purchases. Though, I would still like to oneday join the B&W family!

I applaud you for your thinking out of the box. Once one gets to the level of gear you have obtained, it's easy to look in just one direction. Because of your open mind, you are still happy and saved some cash to boot.

Enjoy your listening!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hmm, let me see if I got this. First it was the Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier and McIntosh MX135 preamplifier/ processor. Then it was the Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier and Yamaha 863 Receiver. The speakers went down in quality from the 802D to the 805S yet the overall impression was remarkable. From where I am sitting the only common denominator was the amplifier. How did you rule out the change in the preamplifier/processor from playing the largest role in your findings? I'm sure the amplifier is as well made as you have made it out to be but I am not convinced that it deserves the credit.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Would you say that the Emotiva is as silky as McIntosh?
        What about the soundstage?
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Glenee
          • Aug 2006

Audiqueso :I said it not as good as the McIntosh, although it is a warm sounding amp. Sound stage was great. Seperation also good.
          Rebel the 805's are not 802d's. I was just referring to what I heard thru the 805's. It's not on Par with some of the bigger Name Amps. But if you have smaller speakers that don't need all that power this one is Damn Good.I didn't rule out the processor, all I did was change it out with everything else the same. Still was impressed. If it's the Processor. It has to be one of two things either the McIntosh is way over priced or the Yamaha is way under priced can't figure that one out. I'll leave that up to the Experts.
          This is a Glenee Recommended Best Buy.
          Worth about as much as the magazines.
          All I'm saying is that if there is anyone here who doesnt have $10,000 dollars to spend on Amps. You might give this one a look. It has a 30 day No Questions asked return Policy.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Glenee
            Audiqueso :I said it not as good as the McIntosh, although it is a warm sounding amp. Sound stage was great. Seperation also good.
            I'm not asking if it's as good as the McIntosh. I read that part. I'm asking, is it as silky as the McIntosh amps? I ask because there have been some great amps that I've listened to, but a female's voice is the end all for me. So a smooth rich and light feeling to a woman's voice is what does it for me.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

By the way, you know that if you use Pure Mode from the Yamaha's, it bypasses the EQ and speaker settings? It only applies the distance settings. Just FYI.

Comment

• Glenee
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                By the way, you know that if you use Pure Mode from the Yamaha's, it bypasses the EQ and speaker settings? It only applies the distance settings. Just FYI.
                Thanks for the heads up cause when I did the comparison. I was using the Pure on the Yamaha and pure 2-channel on the Mac. I listened to some Celine and some Norah and it sounded good to me. I'm like a Audio magazine reviewer, What the Hell do I know. It's just a good little Amp to my ears. I will tell you this though Yamaha is as close to the McIntosh sound that I have heard in Value Equipment.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Any experience with these amps

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Glenee
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                    Any experience with these amps

http://seymourav.com/amps.asp
                    I never heard of them. Do you have a pair ? Looks like a classy build.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

No I don't but have been considering, Emotiva look cool are they any good!
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

I own a pair of 805s & htm4 with a yamaha v861 hd receiver for ht.. I'm trying to look for a poweramp to replace a (rotel RA-985BX). I was originally looking at some mcintosh in around $3000 price but maybe I should give the Emotiva XPA-5 a try?

Comment

• drsiebling
                          • Jan 2006

The back panel of the XPA-5 looks remarkably like that of the Outlaw 7500... hrm. It also weighs the same...

Comment

• Glenee
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                            I own a pair of 805s & htm4 with a yamaha v861 hd receiver for ht.. I'm trying to look for a poweramp to replace a (rotel RA-985BX). I was originally looking at some mcintosh in around $3000 price but maybe I should give the Emotiva XPA-5 a try?
                            I have it hooked up to 805S and a HTM3S. I like it a lot can't you tell. Give it a try, if you don't like it, and you will. Send it back within 30 Days they will give all your Money back. While you have it, take it to your local McIntosh/Classe dealer, listen to the comparison. Then just unhook there amp and hook this one in the same place with all the same stuff on a set of 805's. See for yourself. It's not as good as the Classe or McIntosh. But you can at least get a good Idea at how close it is for thousands less.
                            Last edited by Glenee; 14 May 2008, 18:57 Wednesday.

Comment

• Sounder
                              • Oct 2007

I have 9NT fronts, CNT and SNT. I'm using an Emotiva IPS1, which is class H, 150 WPC X 7 channels. With the fronts bi-amped. I think it sounds great. I paid about $1k for the amp, and I believe it is easily as good as the top end Rotels and the Arcams that I have listened to with B&W speakers. For the price, I don't think you can beat Emotiva's quality and performance.

Comment

• N2siast
                                • Sep 2007

How do the Emotiva processors fair in comparison to the Amps?

Comment

• dknightd
                                  • Mar 2006

That Emotiva XPA-2 looks like an interesting product. When it is released I'll be interested to read how it is received. Could be a real winner.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                    That Emotiva XPA-2 looks like an interesting product. When it is released I'll be interested to read how it is received. Could be a real winner.
                                    Yes it looks real cool I thin I will try it out!

Comment

• simonc
                                      • Nov 2008

Emotiva XPA-5 Amp thru other Amps??

I'm new to audio and seeking advice. I read with great interest the idea of running the Yamaha AVR thru the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp to improve the sound.

My question is simply how does this works?? I understand that typical AV receivers like the Yamaha's etc have their own inbuilt amps. Is the idea to run the CD, DVD and other inputs into the Yamaha for decoding of surround sound etc, then connect the Yamaha to the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp and connect the 5.1 speakers to the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp? Where do you plug the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp into the Yamaha (or other AVRs) and what settings do you use on the Yamaha to make it all happen??

My setup is - I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640r AV Receiver, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player, Pioneer DVD player all inputting to the 640r. My speakers are Sonus Faber Domus Concerto Fronts, a Domus Centre and 2 x Domus Concertino surrounds and M&K sub (5.1 surround sound).

Is it even worth adding the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp??

Any advice gratefully appreciated as I'm trying to slowly upgrade into separates......starting with a better Amp, then the preamp.....

SimonC

Comment

• simonc
                                        • Nov 2008

I read through the manual for the AZUR 640r and there are RCA points (7.1) preamp outs on the back. The receiver can then be programmed for 2ch preamp out or 7.1 channel preamp out.

This should get the signal to the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp. Of course this also mean the option of choosing Emotiva XPA-2 Amp for 2 channel and leave the centre and surrounds to the AZUR's built in AMP.

Any ideas on this option - Emotiva XPA-2 versus XPA-5?

SimonC

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

I'm definitely interested in the 2ch amp to see what it's like. I heard the XPA-3 and it was pretty good. Unfortuneately we had the L & R channels hooked up to the 1 and 2 inputs and I think they DEFINITELY voice their amps so that 1 - 2 - 3 correlates to L - C - R.

Only reason I say that is the fact that there was times when listening to LPs and CDs that instruments seemed to "envelope the room" vs being in place like they should have been on one or the other channels. I had this same experience with my RMB-1095...

Otherwise I thought the amp was really good, lots of bass from it, definitely had the power and sounded good otherwise.
                                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• simonc
                                            • Nov 2008

Do you think it's better to get a dedicated 2ch XPA-2 and leave the other sourround channels to the AV receiver (like my Cambridge audio Azur 640r) or is it better to go for the full 5.1 amp like the XPA-5 and only let the receiver do the decoding??

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

It was my XPA-3 he listened to and I do plan to add either the XPA-2 or 2 XPA-1's eventually. I definitely think one of those are the way to go if your serious about music.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                It was my XPA-3 he listened to and I do plan to add either the XPA-2 or 2 XPA-1's eventually. I definitely think one of those are the way to go if your serious about music.
                                                If it delivers from the specs the XPA-1 should be amazing?

500W @ 8Ω 1000W @ 4Ω My 802Ds might love that :B

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Yes the XPA-1's should be nothing short of amazing Fully differential design balanced and huge dampening. Just got to decide if I want to spend another 1800 or so on amps If you order multiples they said there will be deals so we'll see. If course having 2 XPA-1's on my mains and then an XPA-3 channel on the center doesn't seem right when my center is just as large haha :B

Comment

• impala454
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2007

I don't have experience with the $8,000 amps but my XPA-5 sounds amazing with my Statements Monitors + Center 5 channel setup. I am very impressed with it. I can't wait to get a UMC-1 to pair it up with (currently using pre-outs of a Denon 2307)
                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• simonc
                                                      • Nov 2008

I see lots of people using multiple amps like XPA-2 for 2ch, plus XPA-3 to give 5.1 ch. Why not just buy one amp the XPA-5 and use it for both 2ch and 5.1 ch??

I'm also waiting for the UMC-1, but I'm in Singapore so international shipping is a big issue!

Comment

• emig5m
                                                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Glenee
                                                        Boy's I'm telling ya if you don't give this little amp a look you are making a big mistake.
                                                        Little amp? I have one and personally think it's a beast, lol. Next surprise is when you try to pick it up for the first time. My last amp was a 2-channel Carver and that thing was a feather weight compared to the XPA-5, lol.

Originally posted by simonc
                                                        I see lots of people using multiple amps like XPA-2 for 2ch, plus XPA-3 to give 5.1 ch. Why not just buy one amp the XPA-5 and use it for both 2ch and 5.1 ch??

I'm also waiting for the UMC-1, but I'm in Singapore so international shipping is a big issue!
                                                        That's what I did. And to be honest, I can't really hear that much sound difference from just using my Yamaha receiver. The bass has a little more weight and I no longer drive the Yamaha into protection mode, lol, but that's about it. Glenee mentioned above that Yamaha was the closest sounding stuff of the budget equipment comparing to the upper end McIntosh stuff. I guess that says something about Yamaha?

I gotta say that my new Yamaha receiver (first Yamaha I ever owned) is absolutely the best sounding receiver I've ever owned for 2-channel music (actually I've never been happy with any receiver for 2-channel music compared to my Carver separates until I got the Yamaha). I'm kinda wondering if it would be wise just to continue using the Yamaha as a pre/pro and not get the new Emotiva when it comes out and keep the money in my pocket. I was going to get the better one that's going to have a headphone jack that will be released second.

Seriously, from a 2-channel music perspective. Yamaha RX-663 or Emotiva pre/pro? About the same? They would probably be using similar quality DACs/etc and wouldn't be too much difference? I know they have a 30 day money back trial but still would like to hear from people with more experience using pre/pro's vs receivers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

And the reason for going with the XPA-2 and XPA-3 is because the XPA-2 is quite special and not the same exact design as the others. The XPA-2 doesn't use the modular design. It's very over built and has better performance.

Comment

• Glenee
                                                            • Aug 2006

Before this thing is over with, I may have 2 xpa-1 mono amps, the xpa-5, the new emotiva CDP, and the new Pre-Pro with the XLR Outs. To each his own, but I am that impressed with there products. I think they have the best product for the money hands down. I for one am just tired of pouring gobs of money into sources and amps for little gain. I want to pinch a little money for big gains. Emotiva has done nothing to cause me concern that it will not be that way. By the way I'm not associated with Emotiva or any other Manufacture. Guys/Gals this is some really Good Stuff for the money.
                                                            So Be It.
                                                            Glenee

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

XPA-1 is on sale an one tried it yet?

Comment

• p0lar
                                                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by simonc
                                                                I'm new to audio and seeking advice. I read with great interest the idea of running the Yamaha AVR thru the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp to improve the sound.

My question is simply how does this works?? I understand that typical AV receivers like the Yamaha's etc have their own inbuilt amps. Is the idea to run the CD, DVD and other inputs into the Yamaha for decoding of surround sound etc, then connect the Yamaha to the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp and connect the 5.1 speakers to the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp? Where do you plug the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp into the Yamaha (or other AVRs) and what settings do you use on the Yamaha to make it all happen??
                                                                This is almost exactly what I'm using now.

I chose a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver and an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier. I didn't care about the video processing of the unit, so it was a logical choice with individual Burr-Brown 1704 DACs and pre-amp outputs. Most of my music content is in some lossless format and streamed from my iMac via optical to the receiver.

Thus far, I'm very pleased with the results, especially when removing all EQ from the computer side of things and using the 'Pure Direct' mode on the Yamaha. So far, it's just a 2 channel setup for music, so I won't comment on HT, but as a pre-amp at a magnificent price ($350.00 USD), it is a difficult setup to beat from a bang-for-the-buck perspective. (I have $1050 USD between both units)

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by p0lar
                                                                  This is almost exactly what I'm using now.

I chose a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver and an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier. I didn't care about the video processing of the unit, so it was a logical choice with individual Burr-Brown 1704 DACs and pre-amp outputs. Most of my music content is in some lossless format and streamed from my iMac via optical to the receiver.

Thus far, I'm very pleased with the results, especially when removing all EQ from the computer side of things and using the 'Pure Direct' mode on the Yamaha. So far, it's just a 2 channel setup for music, so I won't comment on HT, but as a pre-amp at a magnificent price ($350.00 USD), it is a difficult setup to beat from a bang-for-the-buck perspective. (I have $1050 USD between both units)
                                                                  Ya, that's basically my same setup as well except using a PC instead of a Mac. I just want to give you a tip for bitstreaming audio bit-for-bit perfect without no resampling. I don't know if it would be the same for Mac but on the PC the default output frequency for the digital out is 48Khz. So when you're playing say, a CD-A/Flac/Mp3 that's 44.1KHz you're resampling it. Even in Windows if you're not using exclusive or kernel streaming mode, you're probably still resampling even if you have the output set to 44.1KHz. If not kernel streaming then every setting has to be set exactly right so it doesn't resample. All volume controls must be set to max and no DSP/EQ of any kind.

The sure way to test if you're transferring bit-for-bit perfect copy of the original data to you're receiver for the purest sound and not adding any additional unnecessary resampling is to use a multichannel DTS Wav file and try to play it back in your playback software. If you're transferring a bit-for-bit perfect non re-sampled stream, playing the multichannel DTS Wav file your receivers multichannel light will light up and decode a multichannel sound source just like when watching a DVD. If you're not bit perfect, you'll only hear random static digital noise.

Moving from analog out to digital out on the PC is night and day difference in sound quality depending on how good your PC DACs and OpAmps are (but not everyone has a super high quality sound card). Getting bit-for-bit perfect transfer over digital takes it even to a higher level (even if the difference isn't as dramatic as going from analog out to digital - it's still better and more pure/untouched).

But ya I agree with the bang for buck of mating the Yamaha with the Emotiva. I was really impressed with the Yamaha for the price. And like I said, it IS the best sounding receiver I've ever owned (but I've never owned a real high end receiver over $800). But I'm kinda wondering when the Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro is released, could it better the sound quality of the Yamaha RX-663 that you could hear a difference in a B&W 600 series system? I mean, Emotiva is a more budget based company giving the most bang for buck but if that pre/pro is going to be several hundred dollars more than the Yamaha, wouldn't it almost be guaranteed to better the sound quality and have it be very noticeable? Sound quality of two-channel music being the highest priority. Or would you have to jump from the Yamaha to something ultra high end like Classe to notice a musical difference? If so, I'll just have to stick to the Yamaha. :lol:

Comment

• carbon summit
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                                                                    Little amp? I have one and personally think it's a beast, lol. Next surprise is when you try to pick it up for the first time. My last amp was a 2-channel Carver and that thing was a feather weight compared to the XPA-5, lol.

That's what I did. And to be honest, I can't really hear that much sound difference from just using my Yamaha receiver. The bass has a little more weight and I no longer drive the Yamaha into protection mode, lol, but that's about it. Glenee mentioned above that Yamaha was the closest sounding stuff of the budget equipment comparing to the upper end McIntosh stuff. I guess that says something about Yamaha?

I gotta say that my new Yamaha receiver (first Yamaha I ever owned) is absolutely the best sounding receiver I've ever owned for 2-channel music (actually I've never been happy with any receiver for 2-channel music compared to my Carver separates until I got the Yamaha). I'm kinda wondering if it would be wise just to continue using the Yamaha as a pre/pro and not get the new Emotiva when it comes out and keep the money in my pocket. I was going to get the better one that's going to have a headphone jack that will be released second.

Seriously, from a 2-channel music perspective. Yamaha RX-663 or Emotiva pre/pro? About the same? They would probably be using similar quality DACs/etc and wouldn't be too much difference? I know they have a 30 day money back trial but still would like to hear from people with more experience using pre/pro's vs receivers.
                                                                    You and I are in the exact same spot as you. I've got a 663 and added a XPA-5. I go back and forth if it was worth adding the XPA-5 or not. After owning it for a month I listened without it the amp hooked up and I hear a difference but not sure if it was great enough to justify the cost (even if this is an inexpensive amp in some peoples eys!).

I've been toying with the idea of getting the UMC-1 when it is released to see if pairing them makes a big difference or if I'm spending more money for nothing.

Make sure to post your results if you get the UMC-1!!

Comment

• carbon summit
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2009

I read a little further and there are a few Yamaha/XPA-5 owners out there.

If anyone gets a UMC-1 please post your results!!!
                                                                      I think I'm going to wait unit I hear some reviews from 663/883 owners to see if it was a step up to move to the UMC-1.

Comment

• hd99yr
                                                                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                        XPA-1 is on sale an one tried it yet?
                                                                        I just ordered them. Will let you know what I think. Looking for the sweet highs of the mc-402 and the bass of my cav-180. Not enough bass in the mac so I sold it and the Classe is like Having the dolby on with a old car radio. SSP-300, 802D's and Emotiva. Lol :huh: only the open minded need to apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
                                                                        " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Armbender
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2005

I love my XPA-5...I went from a 6B-SSt to the Emotiva...I run it in 3 ch at 250wpc...although the imaging isnt as transparnet as the Bryton was...this baby delivers...
                                                                          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• VladP
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2009
                                                                            • 12

Originally posted by hd99yr
                                                                            I just ordered them. Will let you know what I think. Looking for the sweet highs of the mc-402 and the bass of my cav-180. Not enough bass in the mac so I sold it and the Classe is like Having the dolby on with a old car radio. SSP-300, 802D's and Emotiva. Lol :huh: only the open minded need to apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
                                                                            Emotiva XPA-1 is only stable down to 4 ohm and it is not recommended for 2 ohm loads - so it seems it may be not well suited for 802D which are well known to dip below 4 ohm.

Comment

• William
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2006
                                                                              • 194

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by VladP
                                                                              Emotiva XPA-1 is only stable down to 4 ohm and it is not recommended for 2 ohm loads - so it seems it may be not well suited for 802D which are well known to dip below 4 ohm.
                                                                              I now use a XPA-5 to drive a pair of 802D's (mains), HTM1D and a pair of 803D's (rears) with no problem. Just last night I listened to over 2 hours of music (Porcupine Tree (DVD-A), Beck (DVD-A) and Genesis (SA-CD)) and then watched the Quantum of Solace Blu-ray at an average of well over 85dB (peeks to over 105dB). The amp was 100% cool to the touch and never stressed at all. I plan to upgrade to 3 XPA-1s for the fronts and I KNOW for a fact that they will be far more than adequate (except on the snob factor meter :W ) to do the job of driving the 802Ds and HTM1D.

Comment

• hd99yr
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2007
                                                                                • 43

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by William
                                                                                I now use a XPA-5 to drive a pair of 802D's (mains), HTM1D and a pair of 803D's (rears) with no problem. Just last night I listened to over 2 hours of music (Porcupine Tree (DVD-A), Beck (DVD-A) and Genesis (SA-CD)) and then watched the Quantum of Solace Blu-ray at an average of well over 85dB (peeks to over 105dB). The amp was 100% cool to the touch and never stressed at all. I plan to upgrade to 3 XPA-1s for the fronts and I KNOW for a fact that they will be far more than adequate (except on the snob factor meter :W ) to do the job of driving the 802Ds and HTM1D.
                                                                                I really haven't heard many complaints by Emotiva owners and That's why I ordered them. Most are as you described. I should have them running by Saturday and am hoping for the best. Will start a new thread
                                                                                " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Glenee
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2006
                                                                                  • 253

#41
                                                                                  I now have a pair of the XPA-1 monoblocks along with my original XPA-5. With both amps what you put in is what you get out. I will add that the monoblocks are something special, this is coming from a guy who was running McIntosh MC501's. It will always be subject to the owners EARS and his personal taste. But always remember that Glenee told you way back when.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2004
                                                                                    • 1106

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by VladP
                                                                                    The specs for the XPA-1 on the Emotiva website says the amp is stable BELOW 4 ohms. Classé amps have never been specified for loads below 4 ohms but routinely drive lower impedances with no problems. The Emotiva should be fine driving a speaker the likes of the 802D.

Comment

• VladP
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2009
                                                                                      • 12

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                                      The specs for the XPA-1 on the Emotiva website says the amp is stable BELOW 4 ohms. Classé amps have never been specified for loads below 4 ohms but routinely drive lower impedances with no problems. The Emotiva should be fine driving a speaker the likes of the 802D.

If you read the manual for the XPA-1 it says that 2 ohm loads for a single channel are not recommended. Page 14 of the manual: "Two ohm single channel loads are NOT RECOMMENDED for the XPA-1! Running the XPA-1 below recommended impedance level can cause excessive heat and will eventually drive the amplifier into protection (blinking red LED’s on the front of the unit)."

There are other amps within the same price range that are stable at 2 ohm loads (e.g. wyred 4 sound, D-sonic) and these might be a good alternative to Emotiva. Clearly it is a matter of preference, but technically speaking, these other amps are better suited for difficult to drive speakers (based on their technical characteristics alone). How it translates into actual differences in sound is a different story.

Comment

• Glenee
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2006
                                                                                        • 253

#44
                                                                                        DIP'S, DIP'S, DIP's The 802D's DIP'S into a 2 Ohm Load. All speakers DIP.
                                                                                        Enough Said.

Comment

• Ron526
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 54

#45
                                                                                          3db

HI, any thoughts on how the xpa-5 compares to a rotel 1085. I know 200 vs 100 watts but 3db, with my speakers, won't be that much better-or would it?

Ron526

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"