X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supafly79
    • Mar 2008

Buying speakers and so on over the net.

Hi all

First of all let my say thx so much for a great forum, finally a place where my Hifi insanity can run free lol ;x(

Well this is my question, I am currently on the lookout for a new center speaker, more precisely the HTM3S or the HTM4S Ofc the 3S is the one on the top of my wish list. However I am considering getting these off the net (ebay) but reading a bit through this forum and others I see that my skepticism and paranoia about dealing over ebay is shared with others. So what I am wondering is, is there any method to make sure a speaker set from example B&W is authentic just by checking up on the serial number?? ore are there any other ways one can find out? I guess many will say go pick them up your self, but living in Norway that would be one very long drive...lol

Again thanks for a great forum, looking forward to getting to know all you Hifi loonies out there

Best Regards
    Øystein Gundersen, Norway arty:
  • Mark-n-b
    • Apr 2005

Hi - welcome!

What I do is always contact the seller and ask a technical question about the speakers. I've found that a genuine seller will respond in a way that makes you feel comfortable doing business with them. I have contacted sellers that turned out to be false (the listing was removed before the auction ended) and these people NEVER responded at all to questions.

If I could buy gear on line, I would. You just need to be careful and wise.

Oh, and a hint - eBay Germany as some great high end listings!

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

As long as you can drive and see what you are buying and unless it is a real company where you can return things, I would never buy online expensive electronics.

I rather suck it up and know what I am getting!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I have bought many quality used items on-line including a B&W center channel speaker, Classe power amp, Classe pre-amp, and numerous other used amps and equipment, etc. through EBAY and Audiogon. I usually buy from those who have a solid history of selling transactions, and prefer to deal with those from actual retail stores (although I have bought some through individual sellers). So far, so good, in that I have not had any problems. I ask questions of the seller and judge the responses. I also only buy from those who offer payment through Pay Pal or actual credit cards. I never buy from those requiring only money orders or bank wires. I have only been able to see one of the items before paying for it, as most have been located in other parts of the country. Just use your common sense.

The B&W listings in Audiogon can be connected through this link: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl

Good Luck

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Well, I would be concerned of buying lemons, at least with local dealers you can negotiate prices and still have warranty.

Spending thousands of dollars of gear I need to have some warranty behind it!
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
            Well, I would be concerned of buying lemons, at least with local dealers you can negotiate prices and still have warranty.

Spending thousands of dollars of gear I need to have some warranty behind it!
            The electronics I've purchased have not required any service. And, with companies like Classe for example, they are extremely supportive and have spent much helpful time with me in answering any questions I have had. B&W has been very supportive as well. I don't think you can go wrong with buying used equipment produced by very reputable companies with strong customer support.

Comment

• DeepEndX
              • Feb 2005

I agree with Mark. You would need to ask detail questions and try to spot any scams. You should also ask to receive several photo's of the units, besides the pictures that are posted on the website. If the person is unable to provide any additional pictures, not providing your request, or responding your emails appropriately, do not buy from the seller. I have bought several gears through audiogon and I have been pretty lucky that I have been dealing with great people.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I am happy for both of you, I guess I am a bit risk adverse.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"