X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    • Mar 2008

Young Childrens Ears

I just hooked everything up today for the first time all together (see "How am I sitting" thread from earlier this week), and played the Eagles new cd and Finding Nemo DVD. In both cases with the volume not very loud, and even with it turned down, my 2-1/2 year old son cupped his hands over his ears and asked me to turn it down/off. I asked him if it hurt his ears and he said yes. Hmmm!

I know the 600 series HF is supposed to exceed human audible range but is it possible there was something present that only a small child could painfully hear? I will call my dealer tomorrow but thought I would ask here also. Is there a device that would allow me to test for HF interference/signal coming from my system? Everything is new except some interconnects and the processor, (rotel rsp985) also I used a cheapie piece of speaker wire (18G.) for center HTM61. Any input much appreciated, I can't imagine listening to something that would cause my boy pain. Obviously a call to his doctor will also ensue. Thanks much.

Oh,, almost forgot... s**t sounds amazing!
    B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610
    Rotel RSP985/Rotel RMB1095/Rotel RCD1072
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Maybe he doesn't like the Eagles???

But seriously, the older we get the worse our hearing gets. It is very possible that he might be hearing something that you can not. I (22) can hear things my dad (48) can not. I joke him about it, but in all seriousness it happens. Also, I have IIRC 2 movies and 1 CD (can't recall off the top of my head which ones) that I have slight pain when I listen to them. For some reason when there is a channel or mic or something in the mix turned on there is a extremely high pitched sizzle or ring. The first time it happened I was seriously worried it was something in my system. But, I have isolated the problem to mics getting turned on or off in the mix. Or just weird spots in movie sound tracks.

I understand how this would be a problem, but don't have a solution for you on this...
    -Joe

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

Most likely there is some high frequency signal in the mix that your child can hear but you can not. Could be noise from a flyback transformer used in a nearby monitor when it was recorded. Most mastering engineers are old enough not to hear this - when I was younger it would occasionally bother me - not anymore, don't know if I should be happy or sad about that. . .
      Try a difference CD and see if that bothers your Son.

Comment

• crowland
        • May 2007

Originally posted by joetama

But seriously, the older we get the worse our hearing gets. It is very possible that he might be hearing something that you can not. I (22) can hear things my dad (48) can not.

So what you’re saying is that by the time I can finally afford my 800d’s, I’ll be to old to appreciate them. That sucks

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Originally posted by crowland
          So what you’re saying is that by the time I can finally afford my 800d’s, I’ll be to old to appreciate them. That sucks
          Hey I am in the same boat as you. I was lucky enough to have money saved to get my 703 when I did.

I am probably going to keep them for a long time, so by the time I am old enough to get the speakers I have always wanted I won't have the hearing I have now.

But, the good news is that I am sure that even when I am older that I will still applicate the audible differences which the 800D offer. Even if my hearing isn't as good as it used to be.
          -Joe

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by crowland
            I think you'll still be able to appreciate them. The tweeters will still be making lots of music you'll be able to hear. Your ears may not be as good, but, you might be a better listener.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"