X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Eagles New CD?

Just curious if anyone here has picked up the new Eagles CD and what your thoughts were of it.

FYI: If you didn't know, it is only available at Sam's club or Walmart.

The title is Long road out of Eden and is a 2 disk set.

Here is a copy and paste of a review from Allmusic.com (an excellent resource if you don't know about it)

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Just because it took them 13 years to deliver a studio sequel to their 1994 live album Hell Freezes Over, don't say it took the Eagles a long time to cash in on their reunion. They started cashing in almost immediately, driving up ticket prices into the stratosphere as they played gigs on a semi-regular basis well into the new millennium. So, why did it take them so long to record a new studio album? It could be down to the band's notoriously testy relations -- Don Felder did leave and sue the band in the interim, settling out of court in 2007 -- it could be that they were running out some contractual clause somewhere, it could be that they were waiting for the money to be right, or the music to be right. It doesn't really matter: there was no pressing need for a new album. Fans were satisfied by the oldies, and the band kept raking in the dough, so they could take their time making a new album. And did they ever take their time -- the 13-year gap between Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out of Eden, their first album since 1979's The Long Run, was nearly as long as that between their 1980 breakup and 1994 reunion. Far from indulging in a saturation campaign for this long-awaited record, the Eagles released the double-disc Long Road Out of Eden with surgical precision, indulging in few interviews and bypassing conventional retail outlets in favor of an exclusive release with Wal-Mart, which is not only the biggest retailer in America but also where a good chunk of the band's contemporary audience -- equal parts aging classic rockers and country listeners -- shops. (The album was also available on the group's official website, eaglesband.com, via musictoday.com.)

It was a savvy move to release Long Road Out of Eden as a Wal-Mart exclusive, but the album is savvier still, crafted to evoke the spirit and feel of the Eagles' biggest hits. Nearly every one of their classic rock radio staples has a doppelgänger here, as the J.D. Souther-written "How Long" recalls "Take It Easy," the stiff funk of "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" echoes back to the clenched riffs of "Life in the Fast Lane," and while perhaps these aren't exact replicas, there's no denying it's possible to hear echoes of everything from "Lyin' Eyes" and "Desperado" to "Life in the Fast Lane," and Timothy B. Schmit turns Paul Carrack's "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" into a soft rock gem to stand alongside his own "I Can't Tell You Why." It's all calculated, all designed to hearken back to their past and keep the customer satisfied, but yet it often manages to avoid sounding crass, as the songs are usually strong and the sound is right, capturing the group's peaceful, easy harmonies and Joe Walsh's guitar growl in equal measure. The Eagles burrow so deeply into their classic sound that they sound utterly disconnected from modern times, no matter how hard Don Henley strives to say something, anything about the wretched state of the world on "Long Road Out of Eden," "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture," and "Business as Usual." These tunes are riddled with 21st century imagery, but sonically they play as companions to Henley's brooding end-of-the-'80s hit The End of the Innocence, both in their heavy-handed sobriety and deliberate pace and their big-budget production. That trio fits neatly into the second disc of Long Road Out of Eden, which generally feels stuck in the late '80s, as Walsh spends seven minutes grooving on "Last Good Time in Town" as if he were a Southwestern Jimmy Buffett with a worldbeat penchant, Glenn Frey sings Jack Tempchin and John Brannen's "Somebody" as if it were a sedated, cheerful "Smuggler's Blues," and the whole thing feels polished with outdated synthesizers.

None of this is necessarily bad, however, as it's all executed well and the doggedly out-of-fashion sonics only make the songs more reminiscent of the Eagles' older records, especially if their solo work from the '80s is part of the equation. If that second disc does seem a bit like the Eagles' lost album from the Reagan years, the first disc recalls their mellow country-rock records of the '70s -- that is, if Joe Walsh had been around to sing Frankie Miller's blues-rocker "Guilty of the Crime" to balance out Henley and Frey's "Busy Being Fabulous" and "What Do I Do with My Heart," a counterpoint that serves the band well. That first disc is the stronger of the two, but the two discs do fit together well, as they wind up touching upon all of the band's different eras, from the early days to their solo hits. It's designed to please those fans who have been happy to hear the same songs over and over again, whether it's on the radio or in those pricey concerts -- listeners who want new songs that feel old, but not stale. That's precisely what Long Road Out of Eden provides, as it's an album meticulously crafted to fit within the band's legacy without tarnishing it.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I might be a weirdo but I don't like the Eagles...
    -Joe

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Tama, you crack me up. LOL

Weirdo ?

If you dont like the eagles that alone doesn't make you a weirdo (I hope), just different from the majority I guess.

You have got me interested to know what exactly it is that a non eagles fan might prefer to listen to ?

I personally, have only in recent years found the eagles appealing. (due to my oldering mellowing age of 42 ), before that I needed something a little more energetic.

Cant wait to hear their new cd, even if it is somewhat more of the same.

Pete

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

LOL...

I get flack from my friends a lot who just love the Eagles. I don't hate them or anything but would much rather listen to Porcupine Tree, Steely Dan (or Don Fagen solo stuff), Tom Petty, Jude Cole, Holly Cole, Pink Floyd, etc etc etc.

I honestly think the reason I don't like the Eagles is my mom loves them, she listens to them all the time. As a child wanting to listen to War or Power Station, thanks to my dad's influence in my musical tastes (also he is the reason I am into Hi-Fi), I would always hate it when my mom made me listen to the Eagles when we drove anywhere. I still despise the Desperado album.

Anyway, as I have gotten older, I guess 22 isn't that old, I have come to respect the Eagles for being the musicians that they are, however I only own Hotel California. Maybe someday I'll like them more.;b>
        -Joe

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by joetama

Anyway, as I have gotten older, I guess 22 isn't that old...

8O

I don't consider myself old....but I got stuff that is older than you.
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

I a lot of my vinyl is older than me...

It is kind of a weird feeling....
            -Joe

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

That's funny. I think probably the only reason I gave Neil Diamond a chance and became a fan is because my dad listened to him when I was a kid.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

I find it funny how we are influenced in our music tastes...

My friends who have awful taste in music have parents who have awful taste in music too...
                -Joe

Comment

• Gump
                  • Sep 2005

The Eagles are definitely clever and talented and their "formula for success" is quite evident in this dual-disc cd. At first I felt these songs had an "assembly line" pre-packaged feel to them. I could imagine Henley and Frey going "to work" in the morning and saying "Ok, this morning lets bang out the romance/heartbreak song and after lunch we'll nail the political song.". There just didn't seem to be a sincere or passionate feel about them to me.

But after listening to the cd's a couple of times I noticed something---I couldn't get the damn songs out of my head! When I least expected it, wham! one of the songs would be playing in my head. You have to tip your hat to them, they know how to hook you.

The love songs with Timothy Schmit, the political songs with Don Henley, the heartbreak songs with both Glenn Frey and Henley, a couple of zany,peppy songs with Joe Walsh, slow songs, fast songs, country-ish songs---they've got the whole enchilada working here.

The sound is excellent, the harmonizing sounds great (almost Beatle like ala "Love" in a couple of them), instrumentally top notch. Basically they sound like, well... like the Eagles!

This cd isn't necessarily innovative or trend-setting, there aren't any surprises. But, if you're a fan of the Eagles sound why would you want any? They got their lunch pails and they're hard hats and went to work in the morning and did what they do best. At the end of the day when the whistle blew they delivered a professional and well made product.

If you don't care for the Eagles you will still have to endure them (sorry Tama). There are easily a minimum of 5 or 6 top 40 hits on these cd's which you will hear over the next year or two. And you WILL hear them....at the mall, at the doctor's office, in the elevator---you cannot escape! Then you'll have them in your head as well!!

Mr. Henley, Mr. Frey, Mr. Walsh, and Mr. Schmit can rest easy tonight with my stamp of approval :T .

Easy listening adult rock--recommended.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Nice review Gump! And I'm sure the Eagles are sleeping better now. :B
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

Well, I had my first listen to the new eagles cd a few days ago, and thought I would submit my opinion for others to consider.

Personally I found the cd to be, well, boring !

After my first listen I found nothing bad about it, in fact the recording quality appeared to be top notch as you would expect from the eagles, however nothing really grabbed me and made me want to hear it again. Not a good sign.

I am a little dissapointed in that I was hoping for some more of the eagles innovative musical genius (which it may still be) which would grab my attention from the very start but sadly this was not the case.

I found each track to sound alike, nothing really stood out.
                      I really wanted to love this cd. God knows I have nearly worn out my other eagles cds and dvds.

It is early days yet, and judging by the sales volumes of the new cd I might be very hard to please, however thats how I heard it.

I havent given up on it yet and hopefully I hear it differently as it grows on me in the future, in which case I may have judged to soon.

Maybe I am alone on this, anyone else hear it in a different light/sound ?

It would be interesting to get a few opinions on the new cd from eagles fanatics.

Pete

Oh, and Happy New Year to all !

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                        Well, I had my first listen to the new eagles cd a few days ago, and thought I would submit my opinion for others to consider.

After my first listen I found nothing bad about it, in fact the recording quality appeared to be top notch as you would expect from the eagles, however nothing really grabbed me and made me want to hear it again. Not a good sign.

I am a little dissapointed in that I was hoping for some more of the eagles innovative musical genius (which it may still be) which would grab my attention from the very start but sadly this was not the case.

I found each track to sound alike, nothing really stood out.
                        I really wanted to love this cd. God knows I have nearly worn out my other eagles cds and dvds.

It is early days yet, and judging by the sales volumes of the new cd I might be very hard to please, however thats how I heard it.

I havent given up on it yet and hopefully I hear it differently as it grows on me in the future, in which case I may have judged to soon.

Maybe I am alone on this, anyone else hear it in a different light/sound ?

It would be interesting to get a few opinions on the new cd from eagles fanatics.

Pete

Oh, and Happy New Year to all !
                        Hey, at least you are honest about your opinion! Thanks for you thoughts on the disc!

And Happy New Year to you as well!
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                          Agreed.

Comment

• Foxman
                            • Jan 2003

Yeah, I have only casually listened to the disk once or twice...which is to say I would give each song a few moments to make me want to listen more before hitting the next button. Since that initial scan, I have put it into my rock play list and I almost always know when one of the songs come up.

I have had maybe 6-8 of the songs come up during my random play list and I have listened to each one of them and can honestly there isnt one I hate, but there isnt one I can tell you I really like. One of the songs I did find a bit difficult, it was talking about not being able to sleep at night, it was a politically based song. I don't know, it just sounds unoriginal and a bit forced. My wife doesnt even like what she has heard and she loves the eagles.

I will keep it in the rotation, and I will probably grow into it more.

Happy new year!
                            IMO

My Movies
                            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"