I don't love my daughter as much as normal right now!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kobestonecold
    • Sep 2007

I don't love my daughter as much as normal right now!!!!!

:M :M :M

Last week she bang the tweeter and today after i come home from work my wife told me that she dropped my speakerrrrrrrrrr........godddddddddddddddddd damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n

She is really making my life a living helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..............

:M :M :M :M :M
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Spilt milk and all that.

I hope you don't take off the tweeter covers. B&W say that is a big no no. Do you use the screw on stands filled with lead or sand? 20/20 hind sight.

I undertand both you problems can be fixed. Your B&W dealer can help you with the tweeter and a decent cabinet maker can fix the damage to the speaker cabinet.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

You can also buy a pair of 800D's, she won't be able to lift or drop them!!

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

sorry to see this happen to those nice speakers!

I've had a scratch on my ex-804S and know how it feels. Nothing to this degree, but still it hurts. It can always be replaced.

Comment

• ChrisssB
          • Feb 2006

I'm really sorry to see that!
          But if your daughter is ok (she could hurt herself when she dropped the speaker) then you are lucky, everything is fine!
          Your speakers can be fixed to sound as good as new!

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

At the age of 5 my daughter did similar damage to my tweeter (well , the speaker's tweeter!) . She just turned 8 and asked if she can have the stereo when I die. I'm not sure which is worse.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

How old is your daughter ? You can always fix or replace equipment. Your daughter is precious and cannot be replaced. That type of damage comes with the territory when you have young kids around. I've been down that route with one of my daughters and grandson who is now 6 years old. I've had both stand-mounted HT mains toppled over and damaged, dust caps pushed in, center-channel speaker grill cloth peeled from its frame, several DVD player drawers broken, laserdisc player broken (rendering LDs not re-released on DVD unplayable), VCRs ruined, etc.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                • Sep 2007

Thanks for the tip guys. Well, my daughter is only 3 years old. I secured my speaker on the stand mouth but she told me that she pulled the whole thing down boy. :E

Does anybody know the affect to the inside of speaker? I listened to them and they are still can make the same wonderful sound before it dropped.

I can live with the cabinet as long as the sound is wonderful.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I can live with the cabinet as long as the sound is wonderful.
                  Your daughter will be wonderful long after that speaker has given up. It's tough-I had a 3 year old grandson and a 5 year old daughter living here at the same time. Now there is a cat in the house. I played music for my daughter and we danced for hours (and I don't dance!). Now she treats the stereo as holy ground. Just like when your child eats non-food items-this too shall pass. 8O
                  I've got some health issues that may rob me of time with my daughter , and I'd burn my rig in the front yard for an extra hour with her. Bad as the damage seems , time will make it easier to bear. I promise. :W
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Don't want to "bummer" the thread! Crank up your speakers for some "critical" listening and play some stuff your daughter likes , start the appreciation as early as possible! At least you aren't suffering the "Hannah Montana" curse.....
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Rod S
                      • Mar 2005

Well I can relate,

My 3 year old daughter successfully pushed in both tweeters and crushed both mid-range cones on my 603's....
                      Kids will be kids and it goes with the territory. At least your daughter is fine and speakers can be fixed...
                      My latest discovery was an I-Mac with a super drive full of quarters; she thought they were "little CD's"..... ahh kids got to love ‘em….

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Rod S
                        Well I can relate,

My 3 year old daughter successfully pushed in both tweeters and crushed both mid-range cones on my 603's....
                        Kids will be kids and it goes with the territory. At least your daughter is fine and speakers can be fixed...
                        My latest discovery was an I-Mac with a super drive full of quarters; she thought they were "little CD's"..... ahh kids got to love ‘em….
                        :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Briz vegas
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                          At the age of 5 my daughter did similar damage to my tweeter (well , the speaker's tweeter!) . She just turned 8 and asked if she can have the stereo when I die. I'm not sure which is worse.
                          This is where it all begins. 20 years time she will be posting here "should I stick with my old 802D or should I upgrade to the 900 series".

My sister was responsible for me getting into hifi when she picked up some Bose 301s and Rotel electronics in the 1970s. I recall trying to put together a "stereo" from old speakers and wires from my electronics kit at about this time.

When I was about 12 I wanted my sisters stereo "when she died"...........and my Dads car..........and..........
                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• kobestonecold
                            • Sep 2007

I think i will wait until she turn to 15 before my next upgrade to newest 800 series...

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Mine started with an aunt who turned me on to Iron Butterfly about a million years ago. Or was it two million....? Yeah , at some point we look back and say "BAM"-that's when it happened! I'm glad my young'un will have that "bam" moment and think of me.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dknightd
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                                I think i will wait until she turn to 15 before my next upgrade to newest 800 series...
                                Then she can throw a big party when you go out of town for the weekend :lol:

Kids have to be taught to treat these these things with respect and care. Don't pull the cats tail - don't knock your dads record player needle off its stand - it is part of growing up. Teach your kids how to take care of things and damage will be minimized - but never eliminated.

I'm glad you and the child are OK. She can sense your hurt. Go give her a big hug. Then tell her which things she has to be careful around. Repeat as needed.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Tell her she's fired. ha ha Just kidding.
                                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

My brother and I blew up my Dad's DM330i when we were little.

We liked to push in the dust covers and watch them pop back out when we cranked up the volume.

Needless to say, we learned rather quickly what was acceptable to do to the stereo and what wasn't...
                                    -Joe

Comment

• P1et
                                      • Jan 2006

Sorry to see that my friend! My left speaker has been dropped before, I was watching it fall with my own eyes. It's one of those moments that you want to jump out of your seat and dive for it. It was an accident, but I was very made and I still feel guilty about it. The 602 S3 survived it 100%, not even a SCRATCH on it!

Which brings me to my question: how can I secure my speakers to the stands? Do I have to screw them into the wood of the speaker?

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by P1et

Which brings me to my question: how can I secure my speakers to the stands? Do I have to screw them into the wood of the speaker?
                                        I hope not. Even my old Mordaunt Short MS30s (circa 1986) had reinforced screw holes in the bottom.

Comment

• RNKC
                                          • Jun 2005

I was forbidden to touch the stereo system when I was a kid. Mysteriously though, it kinda broke once ... dunno how that happened ...

Anyway, here I am now with N802 wishing I had a bigger place so I could go 800D ... and wondering what the heck is going to happen if I ever have kids ... :W

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Been there before ... little fingers poking. These things happen. It's part of life. Gotta pick yourself up, dust yourself off and do what you can to fix/repair/replace. I love my daughter to bits. She can't be replaced. Speakers can.

Hang in there, kobestonecold. Things will get better. Promise

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                              • Apr 2005

Nightmare mate, but as other have said the speakers can be replaced - kids cannot. My 802Ds are in fill sight of a 7 and a 5 year old and we have 3 cats. Another kiddie (a daughter) is due in June. But they all seem to keep away from them - probably because I told the kids that the speakers were actually aliens from Doctor Who :W

Comment

• Glen B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                                                But they all seem to keep away from them - probably because I told the kids that the speakers were actually aliens from Doctor Who :W
                                                Clever :twisted: :B. Floor-standing B&Ws do look a little like Daleks.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                  • Feb 2006

Nightmare mate, but as other have said the speakers can be replaced - kids cannot. My 802Ds are in fill sight of a 7 and a 5 year old and we have 3 cats. Another kiddie (a daughter) is due in June. But they all seem to keep away from them - probably because I told the kids that the speakers were actually aliens from Doctor Who :W
                                                  LOL :T :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                    • Jul 2004

Indeed clever,
                                                    but what did you tell the cats?

Comment

• JohnA
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Apr 2005

Just somehow tell the cats that they also have nail clippers, and that they are not afraid to use them....

My cat runs and hides in parts unknown, whenever he either sees the nail clippers come out or hears the vacuum cleaner start up.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

probably because I told the kids that the speakers were actually aliens from Doctor Who :W
                                                        Jerry Rappaport thinks that they look like Daleks. Where is Jerry these days? I miss his posts.

Nigel.

PS. kobestonecold, I'm glad that you changed that the title of your original post. Compared to a child, speakers are just dust in the wind.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                          • Sep 2007

HI, bigburner

Where do you usually shopping for HIFI in NZ? Any good place to get B&W speaker at good price?

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

HI, bigburner

Where do you usually shopping for HIFI in NZ? Any good place to get B&W speaker at good price?
                                                            Yes, but we should discuss this via PM.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                              Yes, but we should discuss this via PM.

you exceeded your stored private messages. Please send PM to me ok.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                                                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                                                Then she can throw a big party when you go out of town for the weekend :lol:
                                                                I heard a rumour that 800 series "microphones" make great beer can opener's and my dad once said kevlar is "indestructible", let's give it a test... :W

If I ever won the lotto, I can tell you that my 5.1 hand-rubbed diamond color painted Nautili would be in a mission impossible anechoic vault. ;x(

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                  • Jul 2005

My first "serious" system included an integrated amplifier,it was a " pioneer" I bought from Germany and was very proud of. I was delighted of it driving my "infinity Kappa" speakers until my 2 years old son decided he needed to clean the amplifier, and while listening to music, he scrubbed the back of the amp with a wet cloth dripping water and soap through the vent.ports, we heard some popping/booming sound and an immediate system shut down.gone was the amp. this was 11 years ago. now my Classe/B&W gear is closed and protected in a designated room , known as " dad's fortress".. I take no chances on any of my kids deciding to clean/wash my gear !!!
                                                                  Needless to add we did not yell or got mad at our baby,I was very frustrated, but a look in his innocent eyes and a hug & kiss made me forgive him so
                                                                  quickly. I suggest you do the same. you will be laughing at this years from now :W
                                                                  Eliav
                                                                  :T Socrat

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2007

HAHAHA yes ELIAV. I am laughing now.

My daughter just pour her milk on to my B&W subwoofer cover the other day.

It is official, she destroyed my speakers and my subwoofer.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

My 16 year old son was playing rough with another 16 year only in the living room and knocked over my 804S. I was upstairs and my wife quickly put it back in its place and made like nothing happened.

I came down as I had heard a crash and immediately noticed a "Ding" the size of a Silver Dollar in the Veneer 3/4 of the way up.

I was angry, but it passes.

We should not be so attached to our material things as we are. My 802D's, his 800D's, etc etc. Especially to the point where we get mad at our kids who are "justs kids" anyhow.

Whats a passing moment of anger, could be permanent bad memory in little minds. Got to be careful what the priorities are.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

HAHAHA yes ELIAV. I am laughing now.

My daughter just pour her milk on to my B&W subwoofer cover the other day.

It is official, she destroyed my speakers and my subwoofer.
                                                                        Wow, yea... i think you need to move this to a daughter free zone or just sell everything for the next 3 years. :lol:
                                                                        B&W

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                          Wow, yea... i think you need to move this to a daughter free zone or just sell everything for the next 3 years. :lol:
                                                                          Now i don't even mad anymore after what happened. I just feel like whatever from now on.

WHY?

My wife scratched my 18" wheels
                                                                          My daughter damaged my HI-FI

I have to live with it. :rofl:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 1537

Now i don't even mad anymore after what happened. I just feel like whatever from now on.

WHY?

My wife scratched my 18" wheels
                                                                            My daughter damaged my HI-FI

I have to live with it. :rofl:
                                                                            Sell the wife and daughter? :W
                                                                            B&W

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 200

#39
                                                                              My wife backed my car into the garage door last month :roll: so far my speakers have not been touched by my kids, but then again they are a little older they are 6 and 9 and they know not to touch............I am more worried though when some of their crazy friends come over though and try to grab the microphones 8O

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2007
                                                                                • 149

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                                                                My wife backed my car into the garage door last month :roll: so far my speakers have not been touched by my kids, but then again they are a little older they are 6 and 9 and they know not to touch............I am more worried though when some of their crazy friends come over though and try to grab the microphones 8O
                                                                                That what everybody wife can do ;x(

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2007
                                                                                  • 149

#41
                                                                                  Ok, everything just getting better. I also have the B&W MT20. Now my daughter think the surround sound that i mount on the wall is the monkey bar. HAHAHA

She also jumping on the subwoofer.

Comment

• Iggurk
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 114

#42
                                                                                    Hello!

That also happens to one of my friend, is son put fingers on tweeters and kicked the sub too (that's so fun folk!)

A solution is to buy a multi usage cage. (for speakers, kids and wife....)

There are good models Here.

Seriously, changing tweeter is really simple, and as your speakers are not too old models it's pretty easy to obtain replacement parts.

I've put a few 70x series internal pictures here .

regards

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 4143

#43
                                                                                      Ok, everything just getting better. I also have the B&W MT20. Now my daughter think the surround sound that i mount on the wall is the monkey bar. HAHAHA

She also jumping on the subwoofer.
                                                                                      Have you considered alcoholism as an "alternative lifestyle"? :lol:
                                                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2004
                                                                                        • 1106

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                                                                        My wife backed my car into the garage door last month :roll:
                                                                                        She must have had a "Brooke Shields moment".:B On a late night talk show Shields related a story about running into and damaging her home. She was talking on the cellphone while pulling in and the heel of her shoe got caught on the carpet. She mistakenly stepped on the gas instead of the brake and ran into the house.

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                                                        My 16 year old son was playing rough with another 16 year only in the living room and knocked over my 804S. I was upstairs and my wife quickly put it back in its place and made like nothing happened.

I came down as I had heard a crash and immediately noticed a "Ding" the size of a Silver Dollar in the Veneer 3/4 of the way up.

I was angry, but it passes.

We should not be so attached to our material things as we are. My 802D's, his 800D's, etc etc. Especially to the point where we get mad at our kids who are "justs kids" anyhow.

Whats a passing moment of anger, could be permanent bad memory in little minds. Got to be careful what the priorities are.
                                                                                        True words but at 16 your kid is old enough to know better. Also, for your wife to put the speakers back as if nothing happened sounds a bit deceptive and is probably teaching your son to be the same. I understand he is her child and she may think she's protecting him but she is supposed to have your back and unite with you in reprimanding your son. Sorry, just my $.02.
                                                                                        Last edited by Glen B; 10 March 2008, 14:55 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        😀
                                                                                        😂
                                                                                        🥰
                                                                                        😘
                                                                                        🤢
                                                                                        😎
                                                                                        😞
                                                                                        😡
                                                                                        👍
                                                                                        👎
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"