• SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

600 Series Home Theatre Configuration

Hi,

Looking to create a moderate home theatre configuration utilising:

Fronts: B&W 685 Bookshelf Speakers
    Centre: B&W HTM62 Centre Speaker
    Rear: B&W 686 Bookshelf Speakers
    Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1200R OR SVS PB13-Ultra ($800 more)

I'm using an AVR at the moment, but would like to change to a Rotel seperates when I have the money.

What you guys think? My main stress is the subwoofer, I love action movies.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

If it's HT only, go SVS. If it's anything like 50/50 music, then get the SPL.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

actually even for music, that SVS will trounce the SPL-R unless he needs something small. third party measurements show the PB13 Ultra to have a spectacularly flat response and good THD measurements.

where are you located? not in the US? guessing on why the price difference of the ultra is to the spl-r is so big.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I agree with AQ, if you are going to use the system for much music, I'd get the Velo. The simple reason is that a sealed enclosure has much more "musicality" to it. I have the SVS and while it's okay with music, the sealed enclosure 'sounds' better than the SVS.

SVS is by far a great movie theater sub, so if you aren't going to be doing 50/50 HT/music with the system and it's mainly movies, I'd recommend going the SVS way.

Either sub though will do what you need it to and you'll be happy with it.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• SoundEngine355
          • Feb 2008

audioqueso, mike.c and pewterTA thanks for your comments.

It would be a 90/10 in favour of HT. I am located in Australia and the lack of a locate SVS dealer makes it hard for a in home demo or even a shop demo.

At the moment I'm just going on reviews for the SVS, but have an in home demo organised for the SPL.

Thanks again.
          SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

90/10... yeah, in that case go for the SVS.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2006

Soundengine,

I used to have a Velodyne SPL-1200 II, which I assume sounds similar to the 1200R, though I don't know. I switched to a SVS PB-12 Plus (two steps down from the Ultra 13) and haven't looked back since. I had no complaints with the Velodyne, and it was in a nice little package, so if space is an issue, I wouldn't be disappointed with the Velodyne, but I think the SVS is even better yet. I use mine for 95%+ HT and very little music.

I think the SVS integrates well with my B&W's. I think you can't go wrong either way, but for HT and if space isn't an issue, go for the SVS and brace yourself for the boom!! (distortion-free of course! :W )
              Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

Honestly I would upgrade the center to the HTM61, its light years ahead of the HTM62.
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dan87951
                  Honestly I would upgrade the center to the HTM61, its light years ahead of the HTM62.
                  HTM62 has the same tweeter and midrange as the 685, so they are matching. If I was going for the 683, the HTM61 would be a better match as they use the FST midrange.

Always a good policy to have matching fronts to centre.
                  SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Ted
                    Soundengine,

I used to have a Velodyne SPL-1200 II, which I assume sounds similar to the 1200R, though I don't know. I switched to a SVS PB-12 Plus (two steps down from the Ultra 13) and haven't looked back since. I had no complaints with the Velodyne, and it was in a nice little package, so if space is an issue, I wouldn't be disappointed with the Velodyne, but I think the SVS is even better yet. I use mine for 95%+ HT and very little music.

I think the SVS integrates well with my B&W's. I think you can't go wrong either way, but for HT and if space isn't an issue, go for the SVS and brace yourself for the boom!! (distortion-free of course! :W )

Yeah I have decided on the SVS PB13-Ultra. Should be here in two weeks
                    SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• Ted
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                      Yeah I have decided on the SVS PB13-Ultra. Should be here in two weeks
                      That should have plenty of BASS!! 8O I hope you enjoy it!! Come back and let us know what you think!!
                      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                        • Feb 2008

I did a 180 and purchased the SPL-1200R.

WAF = too big.
                        SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"