X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

B&W vs Velodyne

what´s with Velodyne DD subs?? I´ve heard so many people say that I should change from my B&W asw750 to a Velodyne DD-12!! 8O . I´ve also read alot on the net and that they are the best subs in the world! I´m a B&W feak and I want another sub to spice things up a bit, so I was thinking of some other B&W sub, another asw750 maybe which i think is ONE of the best subs I´ve heard for BOTH music and film!

Does any have any comments??? please :T
  • Minardi2
    • May 2007

I demo'd an ASW 850 (or was it 855???) when I was auditioning a bunch of subs last year (REL, Velo, and JL were the others). It was clearly the best musical sub, but considering it was going to be used for HT 95% of the time, I went with a JL Audio f113.

The DD-12 I had just didn't have the punch for either music or HT, but the SMS software was fantastic for addressing room nodes. I could've tried a DD-15, but after putting the JL through its paces, I knew it was the one.

Best advice, bring a few home to try in your room. I was fortunate enough to be able to do that but I know that's not always possible. Good luck.

Comment

• ninja12
      • Mar 2007

I originally had the DD12; but, it was filling my 28x18x8 room. So, I returned it, and I got the DD18. I haven't stopped smiling :B. The volume goes from 1 to 99, and I have it set on 10, and it's filling the room very nicely. It's not boomy. It's just nice tight, smooth, deep bass. It's blends in very well when I listen to music too. If you can audition different subs in your room, that will be your best choice. Good luck. :T

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

ninja,

I have a very similar sized room, are you saying that the DD12 wasn't filling the room properly and that is the reason why you upgraded to the 18?

Or, was the DD12 sufficient but you just wanted "more"?

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I think the difference is the servo drive system, I changed over from the ASW850 to a Martin Logan Descent that uses servo drive, the sub bass is much more controlled, plays lower, louder, and faster than the 850, overall it integrated better in my setup.

Just to add a note, I did also test the DD15 and the Martin Logan won me over by a long shot.

The JL's look interesting, and I really would like to hear them, I know of one gent who replaced his Wilson subs with the JL's, he said that the JL's were clearly superior.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• gsengmaq
            • Sep 2007

I went with a DD15 and haven't regretted it. I have a large, rather difficult room but the servo and the setup (equalization) software allowed me to set it up really well. It does the HT stuff together with a pair of B&W 802D's and the HTM2D as center. It rocks. For music the 802D's are perfect by themselves.

Comment

• BassThatHz
              • Jul 2006

Here I've made a few video recordings of the Velodyne HGS-10 and CHT-15 working together with a BFD and B&W N803s.
              I recommend video 5 its one you'll most likely have.

I had a hard time keeping the microphone from clipping or making too much background noise (old Rat-Shack SPL meter lol). Not quite the same as being in the room but perhaps it can give you an idea? Worth a shot...

I am looking at building a custom/DIY CSS SDX15, I am curious how that might work out. 30mm x-max one way (just like JL W7 but on a 15) 80mm p-p mech. Total cost should be ~700CAD. The only reason I am going this route is because I want more infrasonic pressure.

I could build 2 of these and a sms-1 for the price of a used DD-15.

Comment

• Ted
                • May 2006

I have no experience with B & W subs, but I do have and love B & W speakers, and I did have a Velodyne sub. I asked my dealer about getting a B & W sub to match my speakers and he told me to stay with my Velodyne.

For what it is worth, I always figure any salesperson that tells not to buy something and misses a sale because of it, must mean it is not worth getting...

Not the best help, but worth considering I think. At the same time, I know there's a lot of happy B & W sub users on the forum.
                Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• BassThatHz
                  • Jul 2006

I made this video of the HGS-10 a few years back, before I had B&W's.

The songs you are hearing are playable from this site:

The pressure in the room was in excess of 105db, notice though how little distortion it makes. Try this with your 750 and let us know how it went in comparison.

Comment

• ninja12
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by george_k
                    ninja,

I have a very similar sized room, are you saying that the DD12 wasn't filling the room properly and that is the reason why you upgraded to the 18?

Or, was the DD12 sufficient but you just wanted "more"?
                    Yes, It really wasn't filling the listening room to good. I also have a office off from my listening room, and it had no effect on that room which was no big deal. I had to drive it pretty hard to get it to fill pretty good. So, I decided to return it for the DD18. Now, everything is being filled with little effort.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                      • Jul 2006

One more video, I was able to increase the microphone sensitivity while reducing the backgroud noise a bit more; still not perfect but much closer. You can clearly hear the springs inside my mouse engage and dis-engage now haha.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"