eBay auctions anyone else getting thesE??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

eBay auctions anyone else getting thesE??

As some of you know I'm selling off my system to get my 803D's and so far every item I have listed has ended sucessfully but than about 30mins later eBay sends me the below message. wtf is going on I'm I doing something wrong??? I'm I the only one getting these messages? First it was the 683's than N805's and now my HTM2, I give up everything is going on the GON! Good bye EBAY!

Account Security Notice: eBay Listing(s) Removed

eBay sent this message to Dan (porschefreak2005).
    Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Account Security Notice: eBay Listing(s) Removed

Dear porschefreak2005,

The results of the following listing(s) have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization:

250213710005 B&W HTM2 Center Channel Finished in Gorgeous Black Ash

We have cancelled the listing(s) to maintain the integrity of the eBay site, your account, and the bidder’s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, all fees resulting from the listings in question will be credited to your account within 7 days. If you do not see the credits posted to your account after 7 days, please feel free to contact us through ‘Contact Us’ in our Help section.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to automatically relist these items for you. Instead, to relist these items you will need to start from the beginning of the listing process, either through the "Sell Your Item" process or through your third party listing service. We know that this is an inconvenience and we apologize for the negative impact it may cause you. We are working on tools to allow you to relist your items without starting from the beginning, but they are not available at this time.

Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If there are issues that have not been addressed by this message, you can contact us by clicking the "Help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and selecting "Contact Us" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety
    dan87951
    audio guru
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Happened to me on a Linn turntable I just sold. I'm not sure if the accounts are hacked, or if it's the new trend when you bid more then wanted to.

I question this because:

Who hacks an account and then bids on items? Anyone can bid if they are trying to scam on a payment.

When you hack an account, first thing you do is change the email on the account. How are these true account holders finding out someone bid without their knowledge so soon after the auction ends?

I honestly think this may be a new trend. Bid $10,000 on any item you want at the last minute and see where you land. If it's too high, say your account got hacked.

If you look at the auction ended email, you should see what it sold at (since you can't get to the auction anymore). Just relist them with a buy-it-now $25 less then that and a starting bid $50 less. I've found that most top bidders will still be watching for like items, and quickly bid/buy the one they just missed out on.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Whatever you do on ebay emails, is dont click any links IN the email.

Go right to ebay.com and do what you need to do from there.

Alot of those emails are fake and clicking the links can lead to others having all your account info on ebay because it will require you to enter it.
      B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

I prefer AudioGON but I have seen quitte a few scams from fraudulent seller's lately for high ticket speakers. Sonus Faber seems to be the scammer's flavor of the month (and I really wanted those Stradovardi Homage's!)

Comment

• speakerboy
          • Nov 2005

dan87951, I saw your auction end...and then when I checked for completed auctions, it was gone! I currently have my 805 speakers on auction...hope they don't terminate my auction either!

I wonder if there are people just goofing off and bid, only to back out by saying their account was scammed. I guess I'll see how it goes next week.

I've had a couple of people as for a BUY IT NOW price. How are people's experiences with that? I've sold an M&K sub in the past without problem...but I guess as long as the money order or check clears first...

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

I think you guys are right. Probably some user who bidded to high and decided to say someone hacked his account. Makes no sense why someone would hack an account to bid on items?? Not only that he didn't bid on the auction until the last 10 seconds, sounds like a experienced ebayer to me. No one is going to ship them out until the payment clears anyways!

I NEVER click on the links in any email. If they say I need to view a message I always open a new browser and type in the address.

Speakerboy,

Are your 805's the Natural Cherry ones?
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• speakerboy
              • Nov 2005

Perhaps their someone's account was hacked and was discovered at the last minute? When you bid on something you usually don't get an email...but when you win an auction or get outbid, you get an email notification. Who knows. It took me time to write up my auction...so I have a back-up of my description just in case!

dan87951, yes...those are the ones.

I thought about listing on Audiogon but I figured Ebay has more eyeballs in the end.

I was checking out Audiogon the other day, looking at the high-priced speakers (i.e. over $1000). There was one that had these speakers I never heard of for $1500 or more...they 'sounded' high-end, but I couldn't pull much about the brand on Google. The guy was also on Ebay..lots of overly descriptive stuff like 'the best speaker i've heard.' from some Joe Shmoe reviewer or unknown magazine name. The guy would even deliver out of the country on both sites. Sounds fishy to me.

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

Could be, but I find that hard to believe because it has happend three times to me now! Plus when ever you bid on an item you do get an email from ebay. Plus a hacker doesn't wait till the last second to bid because he doesn't care!! All of the high bidders for my auction waited until the absolute last second to bid, doesn't sound like scammers to me sounds like professional ebayers that thought they over paid?

I'll keep an eye on your auction, im curious what it ends at. My N805's brought $1925.00 which is clearly to much in my opinion.
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Scammers bid on peoples stuff so they can get your personal info, later on you will start getting fake emails from Paypal and Ebay addressing you by your proper name ( in the past the fake emails used greetings like Dear paypal user..etc..) hoping that you will log in so they can gain access to your personal info.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• speakerboy
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dan87951
                    My N805's brought $1925.00 which is clearly to much in my opinion.
                    That may be too much, but keep in mind, a person can't just go to the store TODAY and pay $2000 for it. Granted it's not an 805s but it nearly is one, and $2000 vs $2800, a 40% increase, plus tax, helps keep our 805 maintain a high value IMO.

Comment

• dan87951
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by speakerboy
                      That may be too much, but keep in mind, a person can't just go to the store TODAY and pay $2000 for it. Granted it's not an 805s but it nearly is one, and $2000 vs $2800, a 40% increase, plus tax, helps keep our 805 maintain a high value IMO.
                      Its all subjective! I for one would never pay that for a set of N805's there are clearly other deals on the GON for way less!
                      dan87951
                      audio guru

Comment

• speakerboy
                        • Nov 2005

As a seller, what's the best method of payment to accept that most prefer when it comes to selling expensive items online? USPS Money Order? PayPal? Check? Advantages/disadvantages? I'm hearing too many scary stories about PayPal...

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I take paypal, cash, personal or certified check. I also dont ship until it clears and make it known in the auction that on ALL payments there will be a 5 biz day holding period and will only ship to a confirmd address if paypal is used.
                          B&W

Comment

• speakerboy
                            • Nov 2005

I was just checking on what B&Ws are out there and what's been sold and found that someone lifted my pictures from my recent ebay auction!!! They even used my own item description!

They sprayed my name and date off my blue stickies. I haven't bought any expensive used electronics online yet, but things like this makes online buying scary!

So what can a buyer do to be careful? I would assume the buyer should make sure to have some contact with a seller and not have to be directed offline ebay...
                            Last edited by speakerboy; 13 March 2008, 17:29 Thursday.

Comment

• RobP
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

This stuff has been going on for years and these guys are very easy to spot anymore, I suggest that you watermark your pictures with the auction Item number, much harder to erase if they do steal your pictures. As far as buying goes, if it sounds to good to be true, then walk away and report them.
                              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

White Van Alert!!!

Perhaps their someone's account was hacked and was discovered at the last minute? When you bid on something you usually don't get an email...but when you win an auction or get outbid, you get an email notification. Who knows. It took me time to write up my auction...so I have a back-up of my description just in case!

dan87951, yes...those are the ones.

I thought about listing on Audiogon but I figured Ebay has more eyeballs in the end.

I was checking out Audiogon the other day, looking at the high-priced speakers (i.e. over $1000). There was one that had these speakers I never heard of for $1500 or more...they 'sounded' high-end, but I couldn't pull much about the brand on Google. The guy was also on Ebay..lots of overly descriptive stuff like 'the best speaker i've heard.' from some Joe Shmoe reviewer or unknown magazine name. The guy would even deliver out of the country on both sites. Sounds fishy to me.

White van-white van-white van!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

This domain name has been registered with Gandi.net. It is currently parked by the owner.

Google white van speakers and the list goes on and on and on.....
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kevin P
                                  • Aug 2000

I've seen this happen with auctions (usually big-ticket items) that I've watched or placed bids on.

I think some of eBay's security checks are a bit too sensitive. They detect certain patterns and assume (maybe correctly, maybe not) that the bidder's account was hacked. Then they cancel the auction(s) the bidder participated in.

One time, a while back, I got an email from eBay that they detected unauthorized access to my account and turned it off, and I had to go in and reset/change my password to regain access. After I did this, I checked all the history on my account (feedback, bid history, etc.) and didn't see anything that wasn't something I had done legitimately. But, shortly before then I started watching different sorts items than I had been doing in the past. My hobbies/obsessions change from time to time and I went from watching police radar units to music synthesizers, and I guess the change was enough to trip one of their paranoia tripwires.

Maybe send eBay an email asking what's going on. If it's happened to several of your listings maybe it'll point to a flaw in their procedures.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

I was just checking on what B&Ws are out there and what's been sold and found that someone lifted my pictures from my recent ebay auction!!! They even used my own item description!

They sprayed my name and date off my blue stickies. I haven't bought any expensive used electronics online yet, but things like this makes online buying scary!

So what can a buyer do to be careful? I would assume the buyer should make sure to have some contact with a seller and not have to be directed offline ebay...
                                    That kind of happened to me, with one of my rotel amps on Audiogon, the person on ebay had his own personal amp to sell, however he copied my Agon listed word for word and pasted it on ebay. I didnt see it until the auction was ended but it just made me pretty pissed off.

Ahh well, what can you do.
                                    B&W

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

Epay sux, and there are some real shitz out there. I was educated about 2 years ago never to return (paypal as well).
                                      I just sent off a preamp today in exchange for some speaks (via agon), and we did the transaction via the phone.
                                      We are both taking a leap of faith on this, but I for one believe there are still people on the planet with some integrity, albeit few and far between.

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I just checked Ebay a few minutes ago and the scammers are hitting hard on the B&W listings, a few years back I had a fake name just for bidding those jack holes up, a few others did it as well and at times we would have a pair of 803's up to 50k or so, it was quite fun.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"