X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

B&W Color problems.. Attached pics

Well the problems aren't with the speakers per say....

I have a set of red cherry N803s and HTM1 sitting here.... and I REALLY Like that color Especially in my room.

However I already have light cherry N802s, light cherry htm1, and am picking up a light cherry asw 855... I dont think I can ever get rid of the N802s. Even though they look great! I really... really... like the red... :lol:
    However I believe I wont be keeping them I figured if I set them up in here I would feel this way. Anyone else ever have a similar problem being torn between speakers because of color?

I attached some pics. What do you think? Go red?

I picked this set up because it was a good price and I wasnt planning on keeping the sub long term. (color doesnt match) However I wanted to see how the red would look in the room.

However now I LOVE the red, and am contiplating searching for red N802s or 800s and "trying" to stain the stand and entertainment rack red to match...

So, keep the natural cherry (which I do like), or go red cherry since I have a red wall? (base molding will eventually be black, and the DVD rack is now blakc and grey)

Last edited by Race Car Driver; 11 February 2008, 00:59 Monday.
    B&W
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I really like the red cherry color as well. I pretty much stained furniture in my room to match! I was planning to slowly upgrade my speakers to the 800's, starting with the HTM1 center (don't even have a center as I never liked the CDM center).

Ever since they got rid of the red cherry I've been torn between upgraded new or going used. Being a B&W dealer, I can usually get new cheaper then used.

If you do sell the HTM1 (or hell the 803's too), let me know first.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ColoKurt
      • Mar 2005

I have the opposite problem RCD, I have red cherry N802's and I wish I had the natural cherry!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Red 800s are my dream. Someday.
        B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

RCD, what are you doing with two HTM1's? Why did you get the "red ones" in the first place? Are you planning two seperate rooms?

I have been torn between color choices too. I like both the Cherrywood and Rosenut colored 800 Series but I prefered the smoother grain and texture of the Cherrywood so that is what I used to make a decision. The Red Cherry is smooth too but to me looks less natural (cheesy) as cherrywood is not a red colored wood in nature. Faced with your choices I would still pick the lighter color.

I like to see as much of the natural beauty in wood as possible. It's for this reason why I think Black Ash bears cheap appeal.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I really like the Rosenut and older Dark Cherry finish, my ASW850 that I had was dark cherry, but I ended up going black, it had a less reflective surface when watching movies.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

The timber finish on B&Ws is timber and I have heard at least one forum member say they visited their local friendly cabinet maker who fixed their damaged speaker cabinets invisibly, so......................

Well it would fix your colour issue would it not. A visit to a good cabinet maker who is a dab hand at matching colours etc.

"Evenin' Squire. I want them to look like that. Ow much ?" Sorted :T
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                RCD,
                I like to see as much of the natural beauty in wood as possible. It's for this reason why I think Black Ash bears cheap appeal.
                I guess that's why they make different colors, as people have differing tastes.

My 703s are in the light cherry, and I have to say I don't like their color. It's too light, and even though actual cherry wood is not darker, a cherry stain on mahogany, oak, or maple looks much better and more traditional, IMO.

I really don't like any of their colors, and that's why I went with the black for the 803Ds, center speaker, and subs. In a home setting, and along with the typically black flat screen TV and electronics, the black speakers actually look like very good quality. The wood grains really pop.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I took some quick pics of the setup, First time ever hearing N803s and let me say Im impressed.

Red N800s..... mmmm...
                  B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                    First time ever hearing N803s and let me say Im impressed.
                    Let me guess where this is going, sell the N802, keep the N803 and get the Krell's? This reads like you are about to sell out function over form (or maybe a guise for downsizing). As for me I gotta have both so I understand your delima. :P

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

The stand for your red cherry htm1 does not match. :B
                      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        Let me guess where this is going, sell the N802, keep the N803 and get the Krell's? This reads like you are about to sell out function over form (or maybe a guise for downsizing). As for me I gotta have both so I understand your delima. :P
                        Nope, I love the look of the 802/800 too much.

I decided the N803s have to go, I want red 802/800... And now with the black grills on everything, I like the red that much more... :x

I think I will have to hang onto the natural cherry for now. I dont think I can ever get rid of them. The story behind them is too awesome.

Someday Ill get red 800 and HTM1.
                        B&W

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Chris, there is a pair of red 800's in Tulsa Roadtrip?
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dknightd
                            • Mar 2006

Can they just be refinished?

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Have you ever read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance where the guy with the BMW motorcycle can't bring himself to simply fix a problem himself - he has to use genuine BMW parts. Its not a lump of metal, its a Bimmer.

That may be the issue here - can't change the colour- it has to be orginal.

...........and there is also the possible impact on the resale value I guess.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• miner
                                • Mar 2005

My local dealer has some out-of-box 803D in red cherry for $6000. The tweeter in one had to be repaired because an over-zealous customer 'touched' the dome in the demo room and shattered the tweeter. I was told the part (tweeter & housing) was $1200.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                  • Jun 2006

Chris,

The N800's may be too much for the room. 801's and 800's really need a big room to breath. Your natural cherry N802's look awesome anyway.

I noticed that you have the aluminum plug and screw on the back of your 802's. It should be removed when the speaker is in use and a black rubber plug put in its place.

Comment

• dan87951
                                    • Nov 2005

Thats a tough choice! I love both of those colors but I actually prefer the natural cherry just a little more over the red cherry. Its hard to match furniture to the red cherry as opposed to the natural cherry.
                                    When the heck did you get 803's? Are you running a used dealer over there?
                                    dan87951
                                    audio guru

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I sold the red 803s, gone and gone. Not gonna make things more complicated and just keep on rockin cherry.

Whats this about a rubber plug? Ive never head/seen one of those.
                                      I got the 802s back in the room, cant wait to get my cherry 855
                                      B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                        I sold the red 803s, gone and gone. Not gonna make things more complicated and just keep on rockin cherry.

Whats this about a rubber plug? Ive never head/seen one of those.
                                        I got the 802s back in the room, cant wait to get my cherry 855
                                        The screw on the back is to hold the midrange during shipping. When installed, you take out the metal plug and screw and just put a rubber plug back in the hole. This allows the midrange to "float" while in use.

Try downloading an owner's manual.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                          Chris, there is a pair of red 800's in Tulsa Roadtrip?
                                          The guy in Tulsa decided to jack up his price by $1,000 because he got too many calls at the going rate ($7900 - another pair sold at $7800 recently and two pair were for sale in the mid $7K range last year). He has no boxes, requires local pickup, and will jack the price around depending on his mood. I'd say stay clear of him.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                            The screw on the back is to hold the midrange during shipping. When installed, you take out the metal plug and screw and just put a rubber plug back in the hole. This allows the midrange to "float" while in use.

Try downloading an owner's manual.
                                            What rubber plug?

Comment

• dan87951
                                              • Nov 2005

The guy in Tulsa decided to jack up his price by $1,000 because he got too many calls at the going rate ($7900 - another pair sold at $7800 recently and two pair were for sale in the mid $7K range last year). He has no boxes, requires local pickup, and will jack the price around depending on his mood. I'd say stay clear of him.
                                              I hate sellers like that! Make decision and stick with it! Talk is cheap so he may be having these a long time...
                                              dan87951
                                              audio guru

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Yep,
                                                I sent him an email on day 1, he replied, no pics yet.
                                                Waited... waited
                                                I sent him an email a week later, no reply.
                                                Called left VM, no reply
                                                Sent a 3rd email, half hr later the price went up 1000$,
                                                Called and left ANOTHER vm, no reply.

F*Ck him, his loss.

:T
                                                B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"