X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

B&W Price increase

I haven't seen much about this anywhere online. Does anyone know the new prices for the 800 series?

I know that the 802D has gone up to 14K, which I think is a complete rip off, but that's my personal opinion. I have not heard prices for the other models in the 800 series, but would be interested to find out what they are.
  • gc8ej25
    • Nov 2007

You can look up some prices here: www.hometheaterstore.com

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Check out this thread. It as the new prices on it.

Eric

Comment

• arcam_boy
        • Jan 2008

I'd gladly pay $14000 for some 802D's they must be $15 or $16k in the UK (£8000) and they have to shipped over to you :M

Comment

• skuzzyb
          • Mar 2006

The reason why the prices has gone up has more to do with the weak US dollar. If you look at the overall trends in the Euro/USD and the pound/USD rates, they have been trending weaker for quite some time. The main reasons for the weak dollar are (in no particular order):
          The current account deficit
          The budget deficit
          Low interest rates (people can sell dollars, buy other currencies and get a better yield in a foreign account such as a New Zealand bank account)
          Slowing economy (the subprime crisis, etc), although some would say recession

The list could go on. This is unfortunate but the USD is unravelling and is less regarded as the reserve currency for the world, it still is but is slowly losing its status, after all, who wants to hold on to a depreciating asset.

Economics class over for now....

As for is it worth it? Well, what is great sound worth to you?

Comment

• Rolex
            • Mar 2005

Regardless of the reason for the price increase, in doing so, they may have hurt their line. They (802D) are now at the level of a wilson sophia 2. In a side by side comparison, there was no contest, for me anyway.

Same with the 805S. While it is a good speaker, there is a lot of competition at that price level.

I would have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that the entire time the original nautilus line was out ('97-'04???) there was no price increase.

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

Well, I don't think this is a price increase per se, but purely a reflection of the weak US dollar.

And I'll be very surprised if other products don't start costing more as well, including some of the stuff made in the USA. The low dollar buys less, and that applies to manufacturers as well as consumers.

Comment

• greenhorn
                • Feb 2007

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27978 :huh:

Comment

• Poki
                  • Jun 2007

I own a pair of 802D and love it.

However, I do concur the Sophia is a better speaker than the 802D overall. This is after some extensive A&B listening tests. It was a tough call but I went with the 802D eventually due to the wife factor.

Comment

• hceiv
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Rolex
                    Regardless of the reason for the price increase, in doing so, they may have hurt their line. They (802D) are now at the level of a wilson sophia 2. In a side by side comparison, there was no contest, for me anyway.

Same with the 805S. While it is a good speaker, there is a lot of competition at that price level.

I would have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that the entire time the original nautilus line was out ('97-'04???) there was no price increase.
                    The Sophia 2's are going up as well, to $15,600 I think. That's up from $13,990!

Comment

• george_k
                      • Jan 2004

I hate to veer off topic but Poki made me think of something just now.

I've only ever heard the Wilson Alexandria's before and while they did produce beautiful music they are absolutely horrendous to look at. There are quite a number of high end audio manufacturers that are guilty of producing ugly looking products... ARC is another that quickly comes to mind.

What's interesting to me is that *it seems* that when it comes to cars, people are more interested in looks and generally when you compare cars in $10,000 (or so) increments they get better and better looking. In fact, going on memory for vehicles in the $100,000+ price category there's really no show stoppers in terms of looks.

But why is it that when it comes to audio, looks seem to take a back seat in the overall design/buying decision?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rolex
                        I haven't seen much about this anywhere online. Does anyone know the new prices for the 800 series?

I know that the 802D has gone up to 14K, which I think is a complete rip off, but that's my personal opinion. I have not heard prices for the other models in the 800 series, but would be interested to find out what they are.
                        Considering N802s were 8,000 I have to agree.
                        B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by george_k
                          But why is it that when it comes to audio, looks seem to take a back seat in the overall design/buying decision?
                          Not in my case it doesn't, but then I love cars too so maybe that has rubbed off on me. :T
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• skuzzyb
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                            I hate to veer off topic but Poki made me think of something just now.

I've only ever heard the Wilson Alexandria's before and while they did produce beautiful music they are absolutely horrendous to look at. There are quite a number of high end audio manufacturers that are guilty of producing ugly looking products... ARC is another that quickly comes to mind.

What's interesting to me is that *it seems* that when it comes to cars, people are more interested in looks and generally when you compare cars in $10,000 (or so) increments they get better and better looking. In fact, going on memory for vehicles in the $100,000+ price category there's really no show stoppers in terms of looks.

That is interesting as I can think of several cars in the $100K+ category that I would consider beautiful. The Audi R8, Aston Martin DBS, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche Carrera GT and of course the Alfa Romeo Competizione 8C http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...1%26safe%3Doff comes to mind. Of course looks is a personal thing but I would say that the ones mentioned are universally thought of as good looking cars.

On to audio, yes, I have to admit that some expensive gear is downright fugly but again to each is own. I would like to think that you can produce great music and have strikingly good looks at the same time, an 802D comes to mind which I think have the perfect proportions for a speaker.. Although I must admit my wife does think it is an ugly looking piece of kit, good thing she did not not have to make the purchasing decision.

SKZ

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"