X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaonL
    • Jan 2008

Hi Guys

Its been a long time sice I posted a message. I've had lady issues as well as work stuff to distract me from my music. Was wondering what will make the biggest improvement to my sound. Just to remind you all I have the 684's with the Rotel Ra-05. Witch will make a more significant improvment to my sound quality. A more powerful amplifier or a better cd player. In fact i'm using a borrowed Nad cd player from my friend.

A lot of comments that I have read, suggest that my amp is way to underpowered for my speakers. So how much improvement will a more powerful amp make. Can you guys explain to me what my next step should be to significantly improve the sound. Also suggest what amp I should choose, if this should be my next step,

Thanks alot
    Jason

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JaonL
      Hi Guys

Its been a long time sice I posted a message. I've had lady issues as well as work stuff to distract me from my music. Was wondering what will make the biggest improvement to my sound. Just to remind you all I have the 684's with the Rotel Ra-05. Witch will make a more significant improvment to my sound quality. A more powerful amplifier or a better cd player. In fact i'm using a borrowed Nad cd player from my friend.

A lot of comments that I have read, suggest that my amp is way to underpowered for my speakers. So how much improvement will a more powerful amp make. Can you guys explain to me what my next step should be to significantly improve the sound. Also suggest what amp I should choose, if this should be my next step,

Thanks alot
      Jason
      Since you mentioned lady trouble at the beginning of the post it looks like you had a Freudian Slip. :lol:

As for your question, how big is your room and how loud do you listen? Either a good CD player or a bigger amp could net you better results it just depends on what is lacking. The RA-05 is not that big of an amp, and the 684's are not the efficient, so if you like to listen at a higher volume you probably should get a bigger amp. If the volumes you listen are not that high, then a good CD player will get you more (better) music into the system and improve on everything.

As far as which amp or CD player, that depends on your budget and whether you are looking for new or used.

Eric

Comment

• JaonL
        • Jan 2008

Hi Eric

Thanks for your imput. So what would you say is the weak link in my system and needs priorty. It sounds like you are suggessting that i get a good cd player. Which component will give me a greater increase in sound quality. Musicality is what I am after. in other words sound quality and detail is what i'm trying to improve, not necessarrily volume.

Thanks
        Jason

Thanks
        Jason

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

If it were me, I'd start with the CD player. Get the system sounding fun and musical and then upgrade the amp. If you have a really good front end then amplifiers will show you what they are really capable of.

Eric

Comment

• JaonL
            • Jan 2008

Hi Eric

Thanks for your advice, i'll follow what you say and let u know how it goes.

Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

In my personal experience, the source will make the biggest difference second to speakers. HOWEVER, it does not make sense to get a CD player that is of much higher quality compared to your integrated amp and speakers. Meaning... try to stick to equipment of the same grade or caliber. I've tested lots of integrated amps and CD players at the same time, and found that if your source is of much higher quality than your pre/pro, your pre/pro will be the bottleneck.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                In my personal experience, the source will make the biggest difference second to speakers. HOWEVER, it does not make sense to get a CD player that is of much higher quality compared to your integrated amp and speakers. Meaning... try to stick to equipment of the same grade or caliber. I've tested lots of integrated amps and CD players at the same time, and found that if your source is of much higher quality than your pre/pro, your pre/pro will be the bottleneck.
                I agree to some degree. It depends on how far a person want to take their system. If upgrading to a $4000.00 CD player (in the OP's system) will be the only upgrade for a long time, then that doesn't really make sense. If there will be an amplifier upgrade of similar magnitude that will be in the near term, then go for it.

Keep things in some perspective and you'll end up with something that will put a smile on your face every time you turn it on.

Eric

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Yes, of course Eric. But I speak in this manner because the truth is, if he goes out and buys a $4000 player NOW (with thoughts of buying a $4000 amp), it's guarantee that he will hook it up to his system, listen, and think that a $4000 CD player doesn't really sound all that great. Of course he'll think that way.. because he just added a source of much higher quality to a system where his pre/pro is his bottleneck.

I don't know... since my testing last winter, I've come to the point where I recommend to friends that if they want a big jump in their audio setup, upgrade both pre/pro and matching source at the same time. I know everyone can't afford to go out and buy a pre/pro along with a source of the same grade, but I would rather spend $4000 and feel they've gain $4000 worth. This is all an example, but if someone is dead set on buying a $2000 pre/pro, wait a little more, save a little more, and buy a source that can match it. It will be make one feel much more satisfied with their audio investment. That's all I'm saying.

JaonL, what are you using as your source?

Comment

• JaonL
                    • Jan 2008

Hi Guys

audioqueso i'm using a Nad cd player. Will I get more detail out of the music, by changing the cd player and then later the amp as that is what I can afford or is this aspect really limited to the speakers that I have brought.

Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

I couldn't say. I'm not sure where Nad stands amoung Rotel, Arcam, Parasound, etc. Can anyone give their input on Nad CD players?

The 600 speaker is a lot more capable than it make sound at first. I can't remember who, but there is someone on this board that has a pair of 604 S3 (big floor-standing from 600 series) and has it hooked up to some REALLY great gear. I'm sure he can speak with better experience on the limits of the 600 series. I only wish I could remember who.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

If its a NAD 542 it would be an equal to the Rotel CD player. They are different however, some prefer one and some prefer the other.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"