X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Powering B&W 805 with Old Sony 777ES Reciever

I splurged a little a while back on the speakers, and am not going to be upgrading the amplifier anytime soon since a Rotel RB-180 did not sound very different at normal volumes.

I am wondering is I should switch the Sony 777ES reciever to 4ohms vs 8ohms?
    Last edited by atchudy; 02 January 2008, 00:48 Wednesday.
    • Nov 2005

HI,
    Exactly which version of the 805's?

Try it. It won't hurt anything. Since you have a choice of impedances and the receiver is solid state, the choices are there for multiple speaker systems. The amp is not capable of doubling its power at 4 ohms. The choice is there to keep multiple systems from overloading the amp. It's a safety feature and means you have rather underpowered receiver.

But really. You have first class speakers with a mid fi receiver. Why bother? Those speakers will show why good amplification is needed. They will reveal every wart in the entire signal path.

Unless you upgrade your amp I think you wasted your money on the speakers.

Sparly

Comment

• Phil Rose
      • Aug 2000

Are you using a sub with the 805s? If so, and you use the receiver crossover to do the bass management you should be OK leaving the switch at 8 ohms. If you are running full-range, your probably better off, from a safety standpoint, running the amp at 4 ohms. It will protect the outputs from excessive current draw.

Also, enjoy the speakers and don't worry, the 777 was a good receiver and should make for a very enjoyable system.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"