X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Setting up Bryston SP2 with B&W speakers

Hi guys,

So excited - home renovation is near completed and AV gear is now out and wired up.

We have a SP2, 6BSST, 4BSST coupled with B&W speakers - 804s, HTM3S, 705s, ASW750.

Would love some advise on how best to set the SP2 for this setup in respect to speaker settings - eg, size, crossovers, etc.

Please please please help

Cheers,

Julie
    Last edited by alpina; 12 December 2007, 02:03 Wednesday.
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

80hz is the THX standard. Some folks say take the load off your mains and put it to the sub by setting the main speakers to small. I think this sounds less full and prefer to set my speakers to large. Try a few movie samples and decide from there what you prefer.

You have excellent speakers with excellent amplification so they can handle the bigger frequency range. The choice would be a little harder if you had 2 800 series subwoofers. Either way I would suggest a little experimentation as the acoustics of your room may lend themselves to one setting over the other - there is no wrong setting.

Nice setup by the way. I would sound almost as good as mine :
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Phil Rose
      • Aug 2000

I blew the woofers in one of my N802 using Bryston 7B-ST amplification on a certian movie while running at a 40Hz crossover. I now run 60Hz for movies but always run full range and no sub for 2-channel.

Comment

• RNKC
        • Jun 2005

Phil raises a good point. Your 804s are obviously full-range speakers and can handle a lot, but for movies there's no reason to really strain them. 60Hz sounds about right to me. Personally I would also set the SP2 to treat all the speakers as large.

For 2 channel listening though (if you use this system for 2 channels) you might want to try no sub and see how it sounds. If you find it lacking in a 2 channel setup I'd say 40Hz might be OK here as a crossover.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"