X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

B&W 683's and what receiver ?

I have the new 600 series speakers .I looked at different amps to power these and ended up with the Sony str-da4300es.It does well for ht but for music only ok.Should I try to find a more musical receiver or go with a pre-amp ,amp setup for 2 channel stereo.My dealers recomends the rotel RC100 Pre and RB1080 amp.My concern is is that I like the bass to be extended as I listen to a lot of 70's rock and with the Sony I have now it does not seem to extend the bass as it sounds as it is being cut short.I have read the Rotels are fine amps and such but have also read the do not do bass extension well.Any help is much appreciated with recomedations.My last venture into higher end audio was 10 years ago and it seems now a days since the hdmi and all the other stuff they are putting in these amps and receivers that they are leaving out the sound quality.Just my Thoughts.Help....
  • Ted
    • May 2006

I use a Rotel RSX-1057 with some B & W CM-7/CM-C for home theater and have never had any complaints. When I bought the 1057, it replaced a couple year old $1300+ Yamaha receiver running my Klipsch RF-5/RC-7 system. EVERY aspect of of sound quality increased considerably I thought, including the bass from my sub, which I did not expect since it runs off its own amp.

I also have a RC-1070/RB-1080 combination for my B & W 703 set-up. I have been very happy with it. I've only ever had the B & W's with Rotel equipment so I have no comparisons there, but when I bought the 703 set-up, they had the Rotel components, but had to order the 703's. So for fun, I hooked the equipment up to the Klipsch RF-5s (this is before I had the Rotel 1057) and noticed the improved sound quality right out of the box, including the bass extension.

I know there is "better" equipment available, but for the money, I think Rotel is really hard to beat for sound quality. And, if you are looking for the lasted greatest bells and whistles (HDMI 1.3, etc), look elsewhere, but for a reasonable amount of money, Rotel does great on sound quality (I think).
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

Thanks for the info Ted.Do you think the 1057 could handle the 600 series B&W's with no problems.The Sony does fine for ht but music has to really be cranked to in the + around 5 to 10 to really bring out the sound and sometimes as high as +15.Also is the bass extension good and will it do good for Music.I am going to the dealer tomorrow after work and give the 1070 a re-listen.Last tme I was there they where really busy and the only thing I had to demo was a computer burned cd that really turned me off as the highs where ear piercing.

Comment

• Ted
        • May 2006

I would think the 1057 wouldn't have much trouble with the 600 series, it certainly doesn't with my CM series. Also, most people consider 75 watts Rotel to much more real world power than even 100 watts Sony, Denon, or Yamaha, the Rotels are probably a little conservative on rating vs. the over-inflated ratings of a lot of the other brands.

Give the 1057 a listen, if you're looking for a receiver only, it is a good way to go (the 1067 is even better). Separates are great too, so if you're willing to spend the money, it will take you that next step further sound quality-wise. Come back and let us know what you think after tomorrow! :T
        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• sandalsocks
          • Aug 2007

I agree with Ted. His cm7's are actually more inefficient than the 683's so the fact that the rotel 1057 can handle it speaks for itself. I read some where the 1057 can actually peak up to 120 watts. I don't have the article so take it for a grain of salt. I think that you have to go into the 700 series at loud volumes to start needing more power than a 1057, even then it'll still sound good.

Another receiver that you may want to look into is NAD. I've heard that they match well with b&w's too and are lower priced but still have great quality. I haven't heard a b&w setup with NAD b/c there isn't a dealer in my area that carries both.

When I was looking NAD's receivers it was better priced for the non-hdmi equipment. Their true hdmi receiver that did audio and video pass through was almost the same price as the rotel 1058 which is ~ 2$k

Comment

• angelface
            • Oct 2007

If the stereo pre-amp as a zero gain option (e.g. Cyrus) you can keep your home cineam amp and add separate pre/power for stereo music duties.

If your thinking about NAD and Rotel as replacements to Sony, you may want to consider Audiolab although they are a lot more expensive.
            Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• Opus007
              • Nov 2007

To make it short brought the 1080 amp home and used the preouts on the sony and it is night and day difference.Love it .Thanks all.

Comment

• aquaanox
                • Feb 2007

the 1080 is great, but you should consider upgrading the reciever to a 1057 as well. You wont regret it.

Comment

• george_k
                  • Jan 2004

I've had good results with B&W 603's and 703's on NAD equipment. The dealer I bought both pieces from has been pairing B&W and NAD products for some 20 years now with good results.

Comment

• Opus007
                    • Nov 2007

Thanks for your input.I am still using the Sony STR-Da43300ES receiver and I did audition the 1057.To me it seeemed the sony out put just a little more base and had a over all smotther sound.I really tried hard to like the 1057 but in the end went with the sony after returning a pioneer elite, which to me ,on these speakers did not do as well as the Sony.I prefere the Rotel for quality and build but it is the sound that made me go with the Sony.It took me awhile to really be able to sit here and listen to music and be comfortable with my choice as I did want the Rotel.I am more than satisfied now with the addition of the 1080 running my front channels and using the Sony as a pre pro.Maybe (and since I have had the Sony for 3weeks now returning it is not a option) the 1057 would of been completly different with the 1080 running the fronts as it made a day and night difference on the Sony. But alas its to late for that.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

All I can say is Rotel is an aquired taste. I think if you took the Rotel and Sony home and A/Bed them over a week or so, you'd probably end up with the Rotel because of how it makes everything sound. But you don't notice the quality of the sound right away because most people are used to the "in-your-face-and-get-noticed" type of sound that most manufacturers along Sony's line use.

But you definitely have to go with what you think sounds the best! Enjoy!!!
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• Opus007
                        • Nov 2007

I agree..Also i do want to build a quality system ,The Sony looks out of place with the Rotel 1080 and B&W speakers.I visit my high end dealer at least twice a week and everytime I see the 1057 I sigh as I know it has to be and is a much better unit than the Sony.I have gone over it a hunderd times of what if's...maybe its the room ,the speakers,ect...The Sony and the 1057 are the same price and I may ebay the sony or put it on Audiogon.Also they will let me bring it home for a audition and you guys have opened a whole new can of worms..ARGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! ;x(

Comment

• dknightd
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Opus007
                          To make it short brought the 1080 amp home and used the preouts on the sony and it is night and day difference.Love it .Thanks all.
                          That would have been my suggestion, so I am glad you are likeing the results

Comment

• Opus007
                            • Nov 2007

Well I went and did it and pulled the trigger on the RSX1057 and could not be happier. :B Only toook me 3 hours to figuer out how to get the osd on the screen but once there I got a handle on it.With this Rotel and the B&W's I am a ROCKIN..thanks for the input and it sure is a good choice.I really thought the Sony made the B&W's sound good but ....the Rotel RSX1057 and 1080 Amp brought out the full potential of these speakers.So much more detailed and full.WOW......Cannot wait till the weekend to really give it all a spin...

Comment

• sandalsocks
                              • Aug 2007

How were the speakers running on the rotel 1057 with out the extra amp? Just wondering how big a difference the amp makes with the 683's.

Comment

• Opus007
                                • Nov 2007

Have not run the B&W's without the 2 channel amp yet.Will give it a go this weekend as i Have had little time during the week as working late this week.Will let you know ...

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"