X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unfunf
    • Oct 2007

current 800 series woofer design differs

does anybody know why the woofer of the current 800series has changed?

The woofer of a 803s from two years ago looks different to the current ones. The surrounding is thicker and looks matt-finished. The diaphragm is a little more elevated. I wonder what the reason is for such a change.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Everything in new 800 Series is different/new. The tweeters are new, the FST has been upgraded, the woofers are now made of a material called Rohacell, and the crossovers have been simplified. The 803S is a very different speaker than the Nautilus 803.

Eric

Comment

• unfunf
      • Oct 2007

I think you got me wrong. I'm talking about a difference between the woofer of a 803s from 2005 and a 803s from 2007

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Gees no one else has mentioned a difference on this forum - and they are a picky bunch who would notice these things. I assume you actually read 803s on both speakers - to an untrained eye N803 does look very similar.

Photo on the B&W website looks identical to the one in my DVD catalogue put out when the series was new.

I would put it down to a CIA plot to infiltrate audio and take over the world. Or it could have been the fact that the woofers were exploding and shards of Rohacell took the top off someones ming vase - who said audio discussion was boring.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• unfunf
          • Oct 2007

very exhilarating answer, thank you.

One of my woofers failed and had to be replaced, the spare one looks like what I have described above.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Very interesting, unfunf. Can you post a picture of the failed and replacement woofers? That would help us see what you see having never heard of this before.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Curious. And its made from the rohacell material? Being the suspicious person that I am the first thing that came to mind was that the replacement was a woofer from the old series if they are the same size (probably containing a CIA microphone and camera.........well probably not). Otherwise it may well be a tweek to the design.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

I think a picture would help a lot on this...
                -Joe

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"