X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sounder
    • Oct 2007

SNT versus 1NT for surrounds

I'm looking for new surrounds. Currently, I have 9NTs for front, CNT center, and CDM 1SE for surrounds. I want to move the SEs to another room, and put matching surrounds. I'm interested in either the CDM 1NTs or CDM SNTs. As far as overall sound quality, what thoughts do you have on the fit for either?

My initial thoughts are that the 1NTs may have better bass response, and I wonder if the SNT tweeter is different, so may sound different. Anyone own or audition the SNTs in a setup like this that could comment?

FWIW, the rest: Emotiva IPA-1 / MMC-1 / Yamaha DVD-Audio & SACD player / HD Cable. Emotiva has 150 wpc (and is a great buy at only $1k, by the way)

Thanks in advance!
    Steve
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Hi Steve,
    Had a similar setup with 9NT's and CDM CNT and I was running the SNT's for the rears and surrounds. Worked beautifully. With the limited amount of information coming from the rears and with a sub, I don't think you need the 1NT's. Also the SNT's are mounted flush against the wall.
    Enjoy and keep us posted.
    George.

Comment

• Sounder
      • Oct 2007

George,
      You make a really good point. For movies I'd agree 100%. What about for multi-channel music like DVD-A or SACD? I agree it's still limited information, but do you think it's limited enough that it won't matter? In other words, with DVD-A, isn't there enough information coming to the surrounds that the quality of sound from the speaker will make a difference?

Steve

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

I also had CDM 9NTs and CDM CNT, matched with CDM 1NTs. For multi-channel music, as you suggest, this might be the better option. The 1NTs have great sound, and you can find them every now and then on audiogon. You can also aim (toe in) the speakers a bit to optimize the sound, where the wall-mounts are flat against the wall (I believe--not too familiar with the SNTs).
        Brad

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Quite right, the SNT's are wall mounted and you can't really toe them in. If you do listen to a fair amount of multichannel music then you would be better off with the 1NT's.
          George.
          The 1NT's are a brilliant monitor. You can't go wrong with them. Better than the SE's, so you might even want to consider leaving the SE's in the theatre and letting the NT's do duty elsewhere. The plot thickens!

Comment

• Sounder
            • Oct 2007

I've lived with the SNTs now for a few weeks. I have to admit I was a bit surprised how they woke everything over the SE1s. The matched tweeter makes it all fit together quite nicely. I went ahead with the SNTs because I got a good price, and thought about the aesthetics as you guys pointed out. The look great, being flat against the wall. And, the bass is a non-issue. I set up my processor to send anything below 80hz in the surround to the sub instead. Works out just fine.

Anyone contemplating this, don't be afraid to use the SNTs. It's a truly outstanding setup for the cost. Yes, the 800 series would sound better, but for MUCH higher cost. This is a great balance of affordable and good enough sound that I don't have any desire to upgrade.

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Oddly enough, I just came across a great pair of cherry SNTs (my brother-in-law had them in his basement system). I'm looking to sell these, and will be posting soon on audiogon. If anyone needs an excellent pair, PM me!
              Brad

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                • May 2004

I had the 7nt, cnt and 1nt's. I think you will be better off getting the 1nt's for all duties.
                Steel

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"