X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhyMe
    • Oct 2007

How good are B&W 802D speakers

I'm seeking to upgrade my 2ch system. I love how 802D looks (I really think that 802D has the best looking cabinet in its price range.) But how would you guys rate its sound reproduction quality. I am looking to buy speakers that can do a large orchestra and live recording well.
  • SoCalCM
    • Oct 2007

I have owned these speakers for over two years now and have not had any desire to change them. They are still the best sounding speakers I have heard at anywhere near the price. I listen to a lot of classical music and live recordings too. You should of course audition them yourself.

Comment

• Guy
      • Jan 2006

I have now owned the 802ds for a year and can only say that as long as you mate them to a capable amp you will be truly amazed at what they can do.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Completely agree with the above statements. The 802d's are one of the worlds best speakers in it's price class.They are that good.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I bought the 802D's new when they first came out, I'm not usre how many years now, but I've changed everything else in my system several times over, preamp, amp, sources, etc krell, levinson, Pass, McIntosh, etc, but the one constant has always been the 802D's.

They look great, sound great, are great.

The only thing I would change them for is a pair of 800D's, but its really not necessary.

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

I have heard several $40K+ speakers and these 802D are a value compared to those, considering how good they sound and how close they sound to those even bigger behemoths (if there was ever such a thing).

It's a matter of taste and some may like another speaker better, but as an all around-er, the BW 802D are very good speakers as they deliver the performance to your room without fail as long as the upstreams are good and the source (cd/lp) was mastered well.
            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• earwit
              • Jun 2006

Happy 802d Owner

I have owned the 802d's for over a year...

One of the strongest aspects about them is how versatile they are.
              They can play anything from Hard Rock to Classical with ease.
              Also great for movies.

TO really maximize the potential of the speakers they need power,
              ideally 300 to 500 watts a side..

Bob

Comment

• SoCalCM
                • Oct 2007

They do not need that much power. I have 3x802D powered by a Classe CA3200. I tried the Classe CAM400, 400 watt monoblocks first. Perhaps there was some improvement with the monoblocs but it was so minimal that I could not justify the additional cost ($6K v. $15K before any discounts).

I do completely agree that the 802Ds are remarkably versatile -- any genre of music or soundtrack sounds engrossing, never dull or uninteresting, a singular acheivement IMO.

Comment

• nick.h
                  • Jan 2006

I've got the 803D's, I've listened to the 802D's and 800D's many times, they are fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"