X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave shepard
    • Feb 2005

CCM817 needs electronics

I am putting 6 CCM817's in a room and am looking for electronics to power them. I know that the 800 series box speakers are better off with real quality behind them. But given these are ceiling speakers, very good ones IMO, will they also benefit buy better more powerful electronics? I am torn between Rotel reciever or seperates, NAD reciever or Master seperates, Krell seperates. Where would the line be (with these speakers) that you would get deminishing returns. I will be running 5.1 but am putting up 6 incase the decision is made later to switch positions in the room then all that will be required to do is change the aiming of the speakers, no holes to fix or new ones to cut.

Thanks

Dave
  • dave shepard
    • Feb 2005

anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

I would use the FPM series over the CCMs if possible. Flat panel speakers would sound better especially for the Front. Go with in ceiling for the rears. Or mount speakers in wall rather than ceiling. Center channel with dialogue would be most problematic.
      Russ

Comment

• dave shepard
        • Feb 2005

I would have liked to use inwalls for the front but due to some windows and their position on the wall it will be impossable.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Any speaker will benefit from better electronics running them. However you have to keep things in balance so I'd go with Rotel (or something similar) electronics with those speakers. I've only sold one pair of those speakers, but from what I remember they're pretty good. The location is one of the limiting factors for those speakers so I don't know if going to the level of Krell would benefit you that much.

Just my two cents.

Eric

Comment

• dave shepard
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            Any speaker will benefit from better electronics running them. However you have to keep things in balance so I'd go with Rotel (or something similar) electronics with those speakers. I've only sold one pair of those speakers, but from what I remember they're pretty good. The location is one of the limiting factors for those speakers so I don't know if going to the level of Krell would benefit you that much.

Just my two cents.

Eric
            I have put together a couple systems that when better electronics were swaped out in favor for better ones. 1 example I have done is (cheep Panasonic reciever to better reciever to Rotel seperates with 200w) the sound had only the slightest change in SQ which lead me to believe that those particular speakers were originaly performing at there best and that all the swaps were more of a lateral move then an upgrade. I have also swaped out a Rotel reciever to Classe seperates on a pair of B&W 703's and the SQ was a huge upgrade. Which is where I'm at with these 817's what models of these particular choices would get me to their potential and which ones would be overkill. I'm not sure the Rotel 1058 reciever with 75W will get me there, or am I wrong? I see that your thinking is the Krell might be overkill would that be correct?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

I'd look at the RSX-1067 or move to the RSP-1069 and an RMB-1077 (or RMB-1067 when it ships). You could go to Krell or someting similar but that, I think, is a little over the top for those speakers.

Eric

Comment

• dave shepard
                • Feb 2005

Thanks Eric I wasn't 100% sure if going to Krell (or something simular like NAD Master) would be I was kinda on the fence. While I do want them to play at their best I don't want to buy something have them play their best only to find that I could have used a less costly unit to get the same sound.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by dave shepard
                  Thanks Eric I wasn't 100% sure if going to Krell (or something simular like NAD Master) would be I was kinda on the fence. While I do want them to play at their best I don't want to buy something have them play their best only to find that I could have used a less costly unit to get the same sound.

Thanks

Dave
                  I think if you went with the rsx1057 or rsx1058 you would be really happy with that setup. for the bedroom I think it's very nice.

Comment

• Russ L
                    • Jul 2006

You may want more than 75 watts/ channel. The CCM817s would sound better with the 100 watts/ch. of the Rotel RSX-1067. As long as you are using the 817s all around.
                    Russ

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"