X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazime
    • Sep 2007

Building new hometheater system starting with B&W 703

Hi,

I've been looking to get a pair of B&W703 for music. Eventually, I want to build a HT 5.1 system with my old Marantz SR 18 receiver. For music, the 703 is great. However, when I audition for HT 5.1 setup (703 Front, DS7 Surr, HTM7 Center, 700SW) at a dealer, I dont like it that much. They were showing 'saving private ryan' movie and the sound and bass are a bit bright for my taste of movie. Even when the tank was running by and the bass just didn't make it somehow.

I am thinking to start with 703 first for music and later on mix match with a lower end surround, could be the new B&W683 or some other brand. I want to have a more floor shaking subwoofer around $600. Not sure about the center speaker yet. Something to compensate the brightness. These would keep me in budget and may be giving me something a bit more warm tone for movie. Probably I got used to the sound of these movie theater outside. Any suggestion on how to get the best of everything? )

Thanks in advance.
  • crowland
    • May 2007

I think that at your budget for a sub with what you need in mind, you really couldn't go wrong with DIY. Check out Parts Express for some cool designs or input. Trust me when I say if you can build a box you can build a sub. $500 to $600 seem's be the apex of the curve at which you start running in to deminisihing returns very quick.

Example: At 400-500 build cost you easily get a 1K retail sub. Whereas 700 to 1000 you might as well get an SVS. I have spent way too much time on this; trust me.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"