X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack667
    • Jul 2007

B&W 685 Review

Hi guys,

As I have recently come back to B&W after 18 months with a pair of Monitor Audio GR20s, I thought I would share my review, "downgrading" to a speaker less than 3 times the price of the 20s!

-------------------------

B&W 685 2-way Standmount

I have just sold my pair of Monitor Audio GR20s after 18 months of pain from possibly the most fussy and boring speakers I have ever heard, and they cost me £1500, which at the time, felt like a bargain.

After getting rid of the 20s, I decided I would audition some B&W speakers again, and since the MAs held absolutely no value (because no one wants them) I gave the new 600 series from B&W a shot.

What can I say? Quite simply the best value hifi product I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, let alone owning.

The 685s are truly magical. One could only expect such a high level of sound from a speaker several times it's price.

The new nautilus tube loaded tweeter effortlessly brings out detail that was completely lost in my previous GR20s. It never feels harsh or bright, and the integration with the midrange driver is seamless.

The new midrange unit with the fixed "bullet" in the center of the driver is ironically the same technology my previous GR20s adopted, however, nothing at this price comes this close to a real taste of high end sound that these B&Ws are offering.

Of course, as with all standmount speakers, bass will always be limited, regardless of what anyone says. However, given B&Ws modest frequency rating of 42Hz in the lows, I'd say that set up correctly, with a decent amount of power, they definitely sink deep for a speaker of this size. The cabinet is fairly deep at 34cm (inc grille and terminals).

I am using them with a pretty decent Advantage S101 (£3k, 175w) and Chord Odyssey biwire cables. The combination is unbelievable - but of course, mismatched price wise.

As with many speakers around this price, one trade off is the quality of the build. Aside from a vinyl finish instead of a veneer, B&W have really taken a lot of time to make the new 600 series look incredible. The face of the speaker feels like a high density rubber, and the new drivers not only sound amazing, but look amazing too. The cabinet is also fitted with a wall-mountable bracket, however, to truly do them justice, sit them on some heavy stands. Overall, the build is exceptional. To be expected from B&W!

B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

• Zoran
      • Apr 2005

This amp is Bladelius Thor MkII integrated, isn't?
      Why do you torture that wonderful amplifier with that minor stuff above? Have you heard the amp top plate is supposed to be free from any object above to prevent overheating...?
      I cannot understand some people around...

Comment

• jack667
        • Jul 2007

No, the amp is the previous version, the Advantage S101. Virtually identical to the Bladelius Thor, cost a little bit more though back in the day.

It's a great amp, and if you read my review, you'd see that I had it matched with speakers of a similar value (MA GR20s at $3000).

I have decided to downgrade as I could not stand the Monitor Audios any longer, and don't have as much money to throw around as before, so have had to settle for cheaper B&Ws for now...

As for overheating, the amp is quite deep (around 45cm) and the air vents are located towards the rear. The DVD player sitting on top is very shallow at just 20cm, therefore, not covering any important breathing space. Also, the DVD player is not in use, and purely used as a divide between the Macmini / external drive and amp, because they both do get hot.

As for why you can't "understand some people" is beyond me.

Comment

• corysmith01
          • Feb 2005

As for why you can't "understand some people" is beyond me.
          Yeah, passing judgement...seems a little out of line. It's your gear, you do with it what you want.

Anyways...

Thanks for the review. I've been considering these. I had 601 s3's, sold them, have gone through a few others and am now thinking of coming back to these. I like the looks of the s3's better, but then, how they look isn't why i'm buying them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what seems to be an outstanding speaker.

Comment

• mihaeli
            • Apr 2006

685 as rears

I assumed till now that 685 are intended to be used as surrounds with 683 fronts. I also intended to get 685 with the hope that they will be a match for my 603S3 fronts as they have the same 6.5 inches speakers. Am I wrong in these assumptions?

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I have been waiting to hear the new series. But, you really can't go wrong with a B&W product, I believe they will totally own the market range with this new series...
              -Joe

Comment

• jack667
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by mihaeli
                I assumed till now that 685 are intended to be used as surrounds with 683 fronts. I also intended to get 685 with the hope that they will be a match for my 603S3 fronts as they have the same 6.5 inches speakers. Am I wrong in these assumptions?
                You're probably right, however the floor standing models are not available in the UK just yet, and I am only interested in stereo audio.

However, I have watched many films through them already and they truly do sound great.

I guess you should just audition them and try them out with your room. Anything bigger than my room and you'd probably want a bigger speaker.

I agree, they will most likely take over the budget market.

As for looks, I recently saw a pair of 601s3s and after living with the 685s for almost a month, I can't tell you how old and dated the 601s look now! Honestly, very strange looking back!

Comment

• szap
                  • Jul 2007

I saw in the pictures thread that you have a mac mini connected as your source and you are satisfied with it. How do you have it connected to the amp? Are you just using a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable to go straight into the amp or are you going through a DAC? I plan on using my computer as a source for some 686s and a Marantz PM7001 amp. I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Comment

• dan87951
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mihaeli
                    Yes the 685's have a completely different tweeter and mid bass driver than your 603's. The 685's have a vented phase plug mid bass driver just like the N805's and the tweeter has been re-designed to extend further in the frequency range. I tried matching 600S3's with the new S4 and it just doesn't sound right the tweeter on the newer S4's stick out more.
                    dan87951
                    audio guru

Comment

• mihaeli
                      • Apr 2006

Which way to proceed then?

Originally posted by dan87951
                      Yes the 685's have a completely different tweeter and mid bass driver than your 603's. The 685's have a vented phase plug mid bass driver just like the N805's and the tweeter has been re-designed to extend further in the frequency range. I tried matching 600S3's with the new S4 and it just doesn't sound right the tweeter on the newer S4's stick out more.
                      Then it turns out that I will have to upgrade my fronts to 683 so to fit with 685. In my country the accompanying for 603 S3 rears 601 is no longer available. Should I look then also at the CM7/CM1 line? 703 is too expensive for me ...

Comment

• jack667
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Zoran
                        This amp is Bladelius Thor MkII integrated, isn't?
                        Why do you torture that wonderful amplifier with that minor stuff above? Have you heard the amp top plate is supposed to be free from any object above to prevent overheating...?
                        I cannot understand some people around...
                        Also, I just thought - what an IGNORANT thing to say - I doubt you have even heard the new 685s.

Twat.

Comment

• Zoran
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jack667
                          Also, I just thought - what an IGNORANT thing to say - I doubt you have even heard the new 685s.

Twat.

Yes, you're right. I have never listened to 685. My idea was towards visible torture your Bladelius amp suffers. BTW I listen both 803S and Dynaudio Confidence C1.

Arrivederci. Cretin(o)...
                          Last edited by Zoran; 05 August 2007, 10:18 Sunday.

Comment

• linuxtx
                            • Apr 2007

Twat.
                            Wow, a bit agressive, I think the poster was referring to the components on top of the amp which do not allow proper ventilation and trap heat. It isn't great for the amp, and you will probably see the manual gives the clearances required for the amp to breathe. I don't think it had anything to do with what speakers you are driving with it.

Comment

• skif
                              • Aug 2007

2 jack667 - where is your speakers made? England or China?

Comment

• jack667
                                • Jul 2007

Hi Skif,

They are made in China. This is why B&W claim that the quality available at this price is out of reach for the competition.

Thanks!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

Hi Skif,

They are made in China. This is why B&W claim that the quality available at this price is out of reach for the competition.

Thanks!
                                  Actually,
                                  I believe the reason it will be difficult to match the quality is because the new 68X series are made at a B&W facility in China, not a leased factory line...

B&W employees from England work there and quite a bit of the machinery and equipment is B&W factory gear... this point can not be over stated, that is a huge advantage over virtually every other speaker company...

8O

Comment

• jack667
                                    • Jul 2007

Hi Andrew,

Yeah sorry, I should've mentioned that. You are right.

I used to live very close to B&Ws UK Factory.

Amazing quality for the money - minus the vinyl I guess..

Comment

• joetama
                                      • May 2006

That is very interesting about them using their own factory in China...

I did not know that and I guess that explains how they can make them still very high quality but still very affordable...
                                      -Joe

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2007

The factory in China has been there for two years. B&W started training and putting the factory through its paces long before any product was shipped to a customer. They have a long standing reputation they did not want to tarnish.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
                                          • May 2006

Just out of curiosity, would this be the same factory that Rotel uses, since B & W owns Rotel??
                                          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                            • Apr 2005

B&W and Rotel are different companies with a 30 year old relationship...

Comment

• wynbnt
                                              • May 2008

Need a 5.1 amp

Originally posted by dknightd
                                              thanks for sharing your thoughts.
                                              I do not know how to post ? Sorry .
                                              I need a recommendation for a 5.1 amp for a small room with B&W 685 fronts ., 686 rear . HTM 61 center , ASW 608 sub
                                              Can not break the bank . about $1300. US .

Also I have a pair of 705 's that need power for a stereo . ?
                                              Should I bi amp them ?
                                              I love these speakers . I love Baroque & Beatles .
                                              Be nice
                                              Wayne

Comment

• N2siast
                                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by wynbnt
                                                I need a recommendation for a 5.1 amp for a small room with B&W 685 fronts ., 686 rear . HTM 61 center , ASW 608 sub

Should I bi amp them ?
                                                Be nice
                                                Wayne

How's the 61 for center? The reason I'm asking is because B&W suggests the 62's for center.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                  • Sep 2007

I'm currently selling my 805S and going to replace them with the 685 as my main fronts.

Anyone here completely satisfied with the 685 as their front and using it in HT because that's all I care about is the HT.

Comment

• Alfonso
                                                    • Aug 2007

Should I bi amp them ?
                                                    Be nice
                                                    Wayne
                                                    I have a Rotel 1075, very nice amp without braking the bank, try audiogon.com for an used one or visit your local dealer. You will not be dissapinted.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"