What's the minimum distance between two 802D's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laurent
    • Dec 2006

What's the minimum distance between two 802D's?

I currently have two 803S that are positioned 210 cm (82.7 in) from one another (measured from the center of each speaker). They are at 60 cm (23.6 in) from the wall. My listening position is 350 cm (11'5.8") from the point at the middle of the distance between the speakers.

I have an oppty to acquire second hand 802D's and was wondering if this would make any sense given my set up?

They would remain at the same 210 cm (82.7 in) distance but would be at 45 cm (17.7 in) from the wall.

Any thought?

thanks,

Laurent
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

All I can say for now is that your measurements seems quite accurate and your conversions seems very intense.

When will the rest of you convert to metric, please.

Kobus

ps. my guess is that I would do it. I have a friend with 800d with similar spacing, no problem.

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

Laurent,

I have mine right around 82" apart (center to center). It works out fine.

You may have to move them a little closer as the 802D likes a good 24" on the sides. I think it will work out fine for you.

Regards,
      Darrell

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Laurent,
        There is no easy answer. There are too many variables for answers on a forum. You must experiment. Generally, it is advised that you start with an equilateral triangle. I think that is a good starting point. From there you can move them to adapt to your unique listening situation paying particular attention to lateral image placement and stage depth.

Don't forget to damp the first reflection surfaces in your room including the ceiling. If you don't you will never realize the potential of your great speakers.

Metric? What's metric? :W

Sparky

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
          What's metric?
          That's simple Sparky. It's a calculated term or enumeration representing some aspect of biological assemblage, function, or other measurable aspect and is a characteristic of the biota that changes in some predictable way with increased human influence.

By the way, I'm with you on the equilateral triangle.

Nigel.

Comment

• dmccombs
            • Sep 2006

When you guys make a equilateral triangle, how much are you toeing in the speakers?

Darrell

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
              When you guys make a equilateral triangle, how much are you toeing in the speakers?

Darrell
              Well an equilateral triangle has three 60 degree angles in it. So that would be toed in 30 degrees.

However I doubt anyone toes them in that much, but maybe... if they are blessed enough to have a big room *shrug*
              B&W

Comment

• dmccombs
                • Sep 2006

Chris,

The positioning is 3 points of equi-distant, but I know most people don't point the speaker right at the listening position. I'm not sure what the point of your reply is.

Darrell

Comment

• Laurent
                  • Dec 2006

Thanks for your feedback. It's clear that being able to bring 802's home to experiment would be the ideal situation only this will not be feasible :-(

I'll try and audition them in a similar situation at the shop if possible to have an idea of the result. One of my concerns is an exessive bass response. I sometimes have the feeling that my 803S give too much bass which can be due to the room so upgrading to 802's might as well totally ruin the experience.

Thanks anyway for your thoughts.

Laurent

Comment

• dmccombs
                    • Sep 2006

The bass concern is a bit anti-logical. You would think the 802s would have more bass, but they don't sound like it in actuallity. I would call it a smoother bass.

When I upgraded from 803S to 802D the bass sounded smoother without sounding loader or more overpowering.

I hope you get my meaning ok.

Comment

• Gremal
                      • Apr 2007

Laurent, I am using the 802Ds in a situation similar to yours and the proximity to the wall does indeed amplify the bass response. Toeing in helps a lot and so does playing with the speaker position even just a centimeter or two one way or another. I have dialed it in so that the bass response in the sweet spot is just right, but off axis the bass is overpowering.

My advice is to get the 802D and make it work for you. They are much better speakers than the 803S, but not all that much bigger. You can make it work and get much better performance than you're getting with the lesser speakers.
                      Last edited by Gremal; 05 July 2007, 17:32 Thursday.
                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                        Without changing anything else, toeing in or out the speakers will not affect the bass response but it will affect the tonal balance at your listening position. That's because the tweeters angle to the listening position is changing. Tweeters are very angle sensitive and the more off axis the angle the less treble response you will get. This will give an apparent, relative change in the bass. But it's not real.

Personally, I prefer the tweeters to be pointed directly and precisely at my ears for best imaging and staging. This will only work with very smooth and distortion free tweeters and a well balanced speaker system design. B&W's 800 series have such tweeters and design. Usually, speakers have tweeters that are so bright that I can't stand to have then pointing directly at me. Not so with B&W's. In fact, generally, I hate tweeters. Again, B&W and a few others are the exceptions.

Also, the tweeter angle interacts with the room in unpredictable ways which changes as the toe in changes. Only experimentation will give the best results for your situation.

Sparky

Comment

• caleb
                          • Aug 2004

Just my money's worth.

Your distance apart will work for your 802s but you will need to get them a bit further away from the walls.

I would say minimum 1 metre (about 38 inches).

Comment

• hd99yr
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kobus

When will the rest of you convert to metric, please.

Kobus

Kobus,

When I was in 5th grade we had to learn the metric system because the United States was converting in two or three years. That was 35 years ago so don't hold your breath waiting. :E
                            " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Relentless
                              • Jul 2007

when measuring the distance from the wall do you measure to the center of the woofer or the side of the speaker?
                              if it is the side of the speaker, do you measure to the front edge or the widest point of the 802?
                              when measuring to the back wall do you measure to the woofer or to the center or the back of the speaker?
                              I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                              Lou

Comment

• Glenee
                                • Aug 2006

Relentless,
                                Most stuff I have Read says: To the center of the woofer on the 802D's I think to the center of the tweeter from side walls and to the start of the tweeter cap for the rears. I do it's easier to work with.
                                Glenee

Comment

• caleb
                                  • Aug 2004

Hmmm - not sure that the nearest millimeter (1/64th of an inch) really make that much difference as long as the general measurements are correct.

Comment

• Relentless
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glenee
                                    Relentless,
                                    Most stuff I have Read says: To the center of the woofer on the 802D's I think to the center of the tweeter from side walls and to the start of the tweeter cap for the rears. I do it's easier to work with.
                                    Glenee
                                    Thanks....that means my 802Ds are 8' apart 3' from the rear wall and only 2'3" from the side but i have base traps at the first reflection points(except the ceiling, that is next) and the corners which i think is a big help with the sound stage and tightening the base.My measurment are not that far off of yours and it can be made to sound good so i vote "go for it".
                                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                    Lou

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"