X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Need Bookshelf Speakers For My Office

I spend most of my life behind my desk and listen to music all day. I bought a pair of Tekton Fostex based speakers for my desk, but they really lack in bass response (the smallest model - the higher models may be much better. By the way, the fit and finish is outstanding on the Tektons). However, they have an outstanding midrange and imaging (which makes sense as they use a single driver and have no crossover).

I want to send the Tekton's back and either get larger Tektons (about $500 or so) or maybe something much better. I have heard 805's before and loved them (I have N801's at home). I'd like to get somehting used. Maybe N805's, M805's, or 705's or CDM1's. Not really sure. I can also look at speakers other than B&W (GASP!!).

I listen at very low levels. Not sure of budget. I can go for the N805's if necessary (I will get many years of use out of these). FWIW, I have DM3000's in my home office (they will never fit at work) and I am very satisfied with them.
  • linuxtx
    • Apr 2007

I have been going through something similar. Flip flopped around a good bit. Of course I need something wall mountable, but for me it has come down to SCM-1 or S, XT2, or Era Design 4. Of course I will be using a sub. Due to space I am leaning towards the Era, and it certainly seems to beat the XT2.
    If you have the space for an N805, I would probably look at the Era Design 5 as well to compare. I am a big fan of B&W, but for my particular situation I had to look around and have been surprised by the Era speakers. It isn't exactly on par with the 805, but considerably less expensive and pretty close in quality.

Comment

• Alex999
      • Jun 2006

I believe that you will be very happy with b&w cm1. They are amazing.

Comment

• greenhorn
        • Feb 2007

I second the CM-1's

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by linuxtx
          I have been going through something similar. Flip flopped around a good bit. Of course I need something wall mountable, but for me it has come down to SCM-1 or S, XT2, or Era Design 4. Of course I will be using a sub. Due to space I am leaning towards the Era, and it certainly seems to beat the XT2.
          If you have the space for an N805, I would probably look at the Era Design 5 as well to compare. I am a big fan of B&W, but for my particular situation I had to look around and have been surprised by the Era speakers. It isn't exactly on par with the 805, but considerably less expensive and pretty close in quality.
          I took back teh single driver Fostex based speakers and bought a pair of the ERA Design 5's and have been listening for about 4 days in my office. WOW. These are beautiful little speakers and do a complete disappearing act on my desk. Great imaging and balance. The detail is really impressive (no doubt, helped by the near field listening).

Its kind of funnny, but I think of the soundstage with my N801's and it is so big. The Era's are about 4' apart on my desk and I have a mini soundstage in front of me while I work. I am very satisfied with this purchase.

Comment

• linuxtx
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
            I took back teh single driver Fostex based speakers and bought a pair of the ERA Design 5's and have been listening for about 4 days in my office. WOW. These are beautiful little speakers and do a complete disappearing act on my desk. Great imaging and balance. The detail is really impressive (no doubt, helped by the near field listening).
            Good to know you like them. I have been wavering on my order. I am certainly sure of the Eras now, but trying to decide what to drive them with. I originally thought Parasound Halo, or Rotel... Then Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. I still think the MF is the best bet, but cant help but wonder about the Krell and McIntosh integrated offerings...
            What are you driving them with?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Good to know you like them. I have been wavering on my order. I am certainly sure of the Eras now, but trying to decide what to drive them with. I originally thought Parasound Halo, or Rotel... Then Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. I still think the MF is the best bet, but cant help but wonder about the Krell and McIntosh integrated offerings...
              What are you driving them with?
              This is going to sound funny, but a Panasonic SA XR 55 receiver. It is digitally amplified. I found out about these when I was using horn speakers, which are very sensative of input source. I have a few of these receivers and they are clean as can be for only a few bucks. Really impressive.

Here is a link to the receiver:

I would not go too crazy about the source. If you are going to buy Musical Fidelity, Krell or McIntosh, I'd start looking at the 805's.

I bought my ERA 5's on Audiogon and teh seller is buying a pair of the ERA towers for about $2,000. These are great little speakers but I would be seriously looking at a pair of N804's for that price (or 805's).

Comment

• linuxtx
                • Apr 2007

I certainly love the sound of the N805s, but my limitation is form factor more than price. The 805s are just too big for my needs. I need wall mountable, and fairly small, but with good sound. The SCMs are a hair too large and the 805s are too deep (and not easily wall mountable). That was what got me started looking into era. It was either era, Vienna Acoustics Waltz, or B&W XT2. Frankly those little Design 4s sound better to me than the Vienna or the XT2.

Comment

• linuxtx
                  • Apr 2007

Hmm, now you have me thinking though. I was planning to build a new desk anyway. I could build speaker mounts on the desk and possibly go with N805s. In fact if I went with the speakers, integrated, and a sub from Audiogon I would probably end up cheaper than I was looking at for an all new setup of era/musical fidelity/REL. The 805s would still only be 6 inches or so from the wall, but it could work well.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Hmm, now you have me thinking though. I was planning to build a new desk anyway. I could build speaker mounts on the desk and possibly go with N805s. In fact if I went with the speakers, integrated, and a sub from Audiogon I would probably end up cheaper than I was looking at for an all new setup of era/musical fidelity/REL. The 805s would still only be 6 inches or so from the wall, but it could work well.
                    If this is for your desk go with the ERA's or B&W CDM's. The 805's are kind of big for a desk. I am very happy with the ERA's for an office system. The Design 5's are nich and compact (about 12" high and 6" wide) and fit very well.

I use DM3000's (my first B&W's) for my home officie and love them.

You missed a great chance. I PM'd you about a pair of mint Design 4's on Audiogon for $425 shipped.

I have been thinking about a MF CD Pre 24 for my home office. It is a CD player, preamp and DAC all in one box. Just add a tuner and computer library and you are set to go.

Comment

• linuxtx
                      • Apr 2007

Yup, I got your PM on the Design 4s (and thanks) unfortunately I really want the piano black finish, so I will buy new. After looking at dimensions and a cad of my desk plan, I agree the 805 would fit, but be huge... I think the full setup will be:

Era Design 4 (maybe 5 if the desk rebuild makes that more feasible)
                      REL T2 (dealer recommended) or Velodyne DD10. kind of iffy on the sub.
                      Musical Fidelity A5 integrated (maybe krell or McIntosh).
                      Musical Fidelity X-DAC V8
                      Squeezebox 3 (Already own).

Planning to buy this week, so I guess I need to make up my mind on the undecided soon.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"