How good speakers for make benefit of glorious movie watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SF_VR6
    • Apr 2007

How good speakers for make benefit of glorious movie watching?

h:

Better speakers reproduce music much better therefore more accurate vocals and instruments getting you closer to the "in concert" performance.

Movies are mostly dialogue and sound effects and correct me if I'm wrong but demands "less" in sound accuracy since it's just effects and explosions?

Does your return on investment diminish as you buy more expensive speakers if you use your sound setup mostly for movies?

I mean for HT you need generally good clean loud performing speakers. How does spending the extra cash say for a CM7 floor standers over the lesser but excellent 603 floorstanders add to the movie watching experience?

thoughts?

thanks. I'm only 6months into HT and Speakers
    -D
    Last edited by SF_VR6; 11 May 2007, 00:46 Friday.
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

SF,

For movies I think that having 5 speakers of the same timber (maker and series) is important. I think that setting them up in the best location (for flatest frequency response) is important. Having the sub placed for the best frequency response and blending is important.

Then you could consider adding bass traps and acoustic panels at the first reflection points. This will improve the soundstage and imaging.

Once you have done these things, and listened to your setup, then you can decide if you still want a speaker upgrade. Most of the things I have mentioned thus far are free or cheap (relatively).

Better Front and Center speakers can provide better clarification of people's voices. Most movies do have a music soundtrack so that is worth considering. A good sub will make car crashes and explosions more realistic. Rears need to match the fronts to a degree to improve that 3-D sound we all like in a movie.

If you use your system just for movies, then your Return on investments falls off with each speaker upgrade. There is less bang for the buck (as long as you set your system up as I mentioned in the beginning of this reply. We all have differing opinions and wallets so where that point is up to you.

I suggest working on speaker placement, and room treatments before upgrading your speakers.

Regards,
    Darrell

Comment

• SF_VR6
      • Apr 2007

thanks Darerell. This is good advice.

I have yet to make my speaker purchase and right now I do not have any speakers at all. I will be starting out with a 3.1 system and have been auditioning speakers for the last 2 months.

I waaaas going to make the plunge and get the CM7s which would kick me in the pocketbook quite nicely.

I am contemplating going with the "no slouch either" 600 series to get my feet wet into the HT arena. (topping this off with a nice Velodyne).

Hopefully this will satisfy my newbie HT needs for the next couple of years.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

I've heard people make the same statemnet about speakers for movies, but all of the emotion comes from the audio. People do focus less on the sound when there is a picture in front of them, but a better audio system makes the movie much more envolving. There can be a lot going on in a movie so you need good speakers to help you sort it all out. A better speaker is better no matter what is being played by it. As Darrell said it is very importat to keep the voicing the same, so stick with the same brand, and hopefully the same series, for the center and rear speakers.

I take it you're still undecided on what speakers to get. If you think the CM1 is too small and the CM7 is too expensive, the DM603 is a great speaker. No matter which one you choose, you're going to love them.

Eric

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Soundstage. Better 3D reproduction of the movie.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• KRC
            • Aug 2004

As noted above, it is also the little things in the soundtrack and effects that keep you on the edge of your seat. For example, an old movie I know but the cello in "Jaws", could you imagine watching that movie with really good speakers and the cello starts and it is really clean and clear and then all of a sudden Bruce shows up. Or for anyone that is into the war movies (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc) the more accurate sound of bullets flying by etc.....adds to realism. Can you get by with lesser speakers ....sure.... but is all scotch the same if sipping in a comfy family room with firing burning away?

Kevin

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
              I actually find this a very interesting question; one I have asked to myself. Here are some of my thoughts.

If a movie really gets me involved, I pay no attention to the soundtrack at all unless it is so bad that it draws attention to itself. Most movie soundtracks are better than this. Since most moves vary over their length in their ability to keep me totally focused, there are times when the soundtrack becomes primary. This is where the really good HT system is valuable to me. Then, of course, there is nothing better than a good, close explosion, right?

However, most movies are not so good that they keep me totally focused. Now the soundtrack has a chance to come through and when I really enjoy a good soundtrack on a good HT system.

Sometimes, though, a soundtrack will become the total focus of the movie. The sound can become magical. It is for these moments that I invested in a good HT system. I love it.

So, I find the contribution of a really good HT system to the movie experience to be very variable. I don't know how much that is worth to me. I do know that many on this forum have much more expensive systems than mine. I would really like to hear their thoughts on this question.

Sparky

Edited to Add:
              An example of the magic that a great surround soundtrack (and a good system) can provide is the scene in House Of Flying Daggers that takes place in the bamboo forrest where the sound of the warriors moving through the canopy completely surrounds you with subtle totality. Completely compelling, IMO. This scene does not require great speakers so much as a great system setup and balance between the speakers.
              Last edited by Karma; 04 May 2007, 17:15 Friday.

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

Many movies have music. Good speakers reproduce music better. If you have speakers that can play music well you might listen to more music and watch less movies. I can't imagine paying more for the video than for the audio, but other people are different.
                I wouldn't get into debt for either - some people look at me and laugh. Do what feels right to you. Smile and be happy. Sorry this probably wasn't much help, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

I firmly believe a good speaker is just as benefical to movies as it is music, after all 50% of the movie is sound. A movie with a great soundtrack and effects can make a huge difference and I want my speakers to reproduce that as best as possible. One can make the argument that speakers for movies do not need to be as good as speakers just for music but they are missing out. My system use is 90% TV/Movies and each time I upgrade the speakers I am rewarded with a better sounding experience.

Comment

• Dave999
                    • Mar 2007

I agree with Pez's thoughts. Excellent sound for a movie can make it a much more immersive experience. Action movies are particularly benefitted by a good sub. Even though most people do not actually focus on a sound track, it is important to the movie and to setting the tone and mood of the scenes. Eliminating it or substantially reducing its impact has a significant impact on the movie. That said, I also think that the rule of diminishing returns applies.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                      • Apr 2006

There are lots of ideas and opinions floating around about how much importance or money one should place in each side of a home cinema...video...and audio....

IMHO, they are equally important. Studies show that consumers place the audio experience a larger determining factor of overall enjoyment in commercial cinema experiences.

Things to look at when deciding on speakers for a dedicated home cinema are efficiency, dynamic range, tonal accuracy and neutrality, dispersion characteristics, etc.....ideally, you will be able to re-create the dynamic range and SPL levels of a commercial theater. The most important factor, though, IMHO, is placement. Even if you have top of the line, expensive speakers, if they are placed improperly, it will not sound right.

Comment

• hd99yr
                        • Apr 2007

Like anything else in equipment the more you spend wisely, the better everything will sound. Bigger speakers = bigger sound!

I went from a klipsch surround 7.1 setup with two Yamaha subs and small sides and rears to a B&W setup with 802D’s, 804s, 804, htm2D and one DD-15. Obviously a big upgrade in speaker quality but the sound improvement with the bigger sides and rears really makes a difference. There is so much sound produced from the sides and to a lesser extent from the rears in movies that a small speaker don’t do justice to the experience of a quality sound track.

IMHO I think people who don’t have a HT setup are missing something. For some purest they wouldn’t consider listening to music in 5.1 or 7.1 I’m guessing. But many good concerts are on Hdnet in high definition and direct TV has XM satellite radio. Why not use your equipment to it’s fullest potential? listen to XM all the time just using direct stereo.

Movies, concerts and just regular TV shows will sound better with bigger speakers in the sides and rears. Some people say a bigger speaker in the sides or rear is over kill. Having experienced both I disagree. Of coarse there are limits I think. Aldo might disagree!

Like anything else it all comes down to personal taste and how much you can afford. But if you’re buying a bookshelf speaker and a stand to put it on why not buy a full size speaker since it takes up the same space.

Size matters!
                        " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"