'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

link on yahoo movies
    Patton oswalt is putting this movie in it's own category of comedy. He also noted that the trailer doesn't do justice to the movie, and the trailer already makes it look like a pretty amazing comedy movie these days. Ali G is one of my favorite TV shows, so this should be incredible.

Another quote I found from Brian Posehn said it will kill comedy movies for a few years because you'll want to watch borat.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I am definitely looking forward to it.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I saw the preview during Talledega Nights, it looked pretty funny.:T
      Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Apparently Larry David had to leave a private screening early as he couldn’t breathe from laughing so hard.....

It's nearly here...
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

You know, it must be just me, but I just can't get into that Ali G guy! Other people think he's hilarious. I've watched some of his stuff, and some things I found funny, but only because he deliberately acts like an imbecile and is just weird. Kind of funny that made the show "Jackass" appealing to some.

I'm in Kyrgyzstan right now, which is next door to Kazakhstan, and there's a big row going on world-wide, because the Kazakhs are pissed that he is misrepresenting their country. They feel that Ali G is giving the world the impression that Kazakhs are a bunch of incest-practicing, sheep-loving morons.

Somehow, that guy gets people like Pat Robertson and top government officials to do interviews with him, and he acts completely oblivious. Don't know how he does it...
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

So, I'm just back from the cinema after watching this movie and I'm sore from laughing.

It's not easy to describe it other than what we already know about it's a 'mockumentary', of sorts.

It's crude, offensive, bigoted, scatological and, well I really don't know how to describe one scene but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

Unbelievable!

However, the genius is not in his ablility to shock, that's easy! It's in the way he draws people in and their guard drops at this unusual, naive and culturally inept man from 'Durkistan'(!) or somewhere. In otherwords, they are themselves.

If you're easliy offended, thin-skinned and have an aversion to ironic humour, avoid - it will probably horrify beyond how much you thought a movie could horrify!

However!, if not, go see - with an audience alongside (essential, IMO) and prepare for one of the funniest, strangest and sorest (my ribs and I'm not exaggerating) movies in a very long time.

V.
            Vincent.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
              You know, it must be just me, but I just can't get into that Ali G guy! Other people think he's hilarious. I've watched some of his stuff, and some things I found funny, but only because he deliberately acts like an imbecile and is just weird. Kind of funny that made the show "Jackass" appealing to some.
              Not just you, Chris. I feel the same way and I'm not sure I will find it as funny as others.
              Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:51 Sunday.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                They feel that Ali G is giving the world the impression that Kazakhs are a bunch of incest-practicing, sheep-loving morons.

Somehow, that guy gets people like Pat Robertson and top government officials to do interviews with him, and he acts completely oblivious. Don't know how he does it...

The Borat character is a lever (as with Ali G) and when those he interviews - those in the West; not just the US, but the UK and Europe also (not in movie in fairness) - meet him, they completely buy into the percieved stereoype that Kazakhs (or who ever) are indeed a bunch of incest-practicing, sheep-loving morons.

Whereas, anyone with a ounce of wit about them would clearly know otherwise!

IMO, Sacha Baron Cohen made Borat that way to be a satire of Western ignorance and uneducated views of the world.

Ali G was a different creation and while the US version was no doubt popular and funny, it was dumbed down. The original character in his UK show was much more provocative when dealing with UK issues and politicians.

Bottom line is, it's comedy that works on multiple levels - Dumb and slapstick but also satirical and subtle.
                Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:51 Sunday.
                Vincent.

Comment

• KeithM
                  • Oct 2005

The whole azamet and borat wrestling scene was the sickest, yet funniest, thing I've ever seen a movie. That was (at least) my favorite movie this year, maybe ever.

Comment

• Kemp
                    • Nov 2003

Sasha is quite brilliant. To be able to keep a straight face and if you try to understand all the subtleties, he is truly amazing
                    Marius

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"